Amp Mods (thoughts)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowJacket

Reaction score
So I was reading up on amp mods just for the hell of it and I am curious what people think.

Voodoo amps
http://www.voodooamps.com/home/Modifications/AMPMODIFICATIONS/MesaMods/DualRectifier2Channel/tabid/134/Default.aspx

Standard Mod™ $295.00
Circuitry Modifications

Description/Specs:

* All Modifications are exclusive to Voodoo Amps®
* Rectifier series is one of the top 5 amps we mod the most
* Restructure the gain - remove the fizzy/fuzzy/buzzy qualities & increase the gain/distortion
* Breath taking for leads or single note passages
* Faster attack - tracks every note you play immediately
* Improved note articulation - more articulate/defined/clear
* Harmonics will leap off from the fretboard with ease
* No matter how much gain you use you can still hear all the notes within the chords
* When you turn the gain control to 10 - it's all useable
* Improved clean tones - more airy/chimey/open sounding & lush (more Vox or Fender like)
* Lows, mids to highs are much more balanced across the frequency spectrum
* Dramatically improved bottom end - no more loose/mushy bottom
* Cranked tones at lower volumes
* EQ section is much more active and responsive allowing for unlimited tonal possibilities
* Will cut through & sit in the mix much better live as well as in the recording studio
* All features & functions still operate the same - no holes drilled
* Voodoo Mods™ retain your amps resale value verses decreasing it

Deluxe Mod™ $614.00
Output Transformer Upgrade to Standard Mod™

Description/Specs:

* Includes Standard Mod™ (see above)
* Includes Upgraded Mercury Magnetics VA-REC120-O Voodoo-Designed™ Output Transformer
* $249.00 & $70.00 Installation fee (included)
* Modification to the inside of the headbox is required for installation of OT
* Vastly increased sustain - leads are much more liquid like & fluid
* Effortless Pinch / artificial harmonics
* Greatly improved articulation & definition
* Increased / richer bass response
* Increased even-order harmonics (IE: sounds much more musical)
* Massive rhythm tones - when you hit a chord it's there immediately
* Increased headroom (cleans stay cleaner & louder at gigging/stage volumes)

Platinum Mod™ $1002.00 FREE SHIPPING!
Power & Choke Transformer Upgrade to Deluxe Mod™

* Includes Deluxe Mod™
* Includes Upgraded Mercury Magnetics VA-REC120-2CHP Voodoo-Designed™ Power Transformer
* $259.00 & $75.00 Installation fee (included)
* Includes Upgraded Mercury Magnetics VA-REC-C Voodoo-Designed™ Choke
* $39.00 & $15.00 Installation fee (included)
* 120V 60Hz Operation
* Improved power regulation
* Reduced noise and hum
* Improved feel & tone - Smoother feel & easier to play
* A must for touring musicians, engineers and producers!
* Platinum Mod™ will give you the best tone, feel and performance

If there is so much of a demand for mods, why don't people simply get an amp more suited to their needs? I'd be really curious to see firsthand the difference between all the upgrades. I mean come on, $1,000 might as well go towards more gear!

Oh, how do you know when to get a cap job done?

agree 100% (save the money) it's people just looking for that special tone and these adds are tough to resist.

I think spending another 1k to replace components that really don't need replacing (i.e. the tranny) and other components is ridiculous.

Having said that, having slight mods to further custom-tailor your tone to just what you want makes sense. I went
ahead and spent the additional $300 and had my Recto modified at don't regret a thing.

And alot of mods are modder-specific (they aren't all the same) so posting modification instructions wouldn't always be what the player is looking for, which is why amp modifiers like FJA and Voodoo can make a living tailoring mods to specific people. Just my 2 cents.

Interesting.

I think if I was to make a laundry list for my 2 channel recto it would look something like this:

1) Make it sound better at low volumes PLEASE. Variable power switching is nice, and I'd like a 10 watt option of possible.

2) Single notes sound thin, it would be nice if they were thicker.

3) I want 3 channels, dammit. I'd love to have a clean and then have the vintage high gain also available for soloing. Make it a wicked solo tone, please! By wicked, I mean even more fluid and vocal. (Don't want to lose the red channel for crunch)

4) Pop up the upper mids a bit and cut the lows a hair. I'd like a more even and balanced tone.

5) The cleans could be warmer with more personality. The definitely sound good on my amp, but part of that is the way my guitar is currently set up.

6) Make it sound like an Electra Dyne!! PLEASE, PLEASE

7) Make it sound like an Electra Dyne!! Please, Please!

8) Make it sound like an Electra Dyne!! PLEASE!!, Please!!!, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!??!????

Now we can look back at the mod list and see how many of them are beefs I listed. Keep in mind I just stated from first to last, what was bugging me about the amp. I didn't peak.
Aside from that, points 6, 7, and 8 are really what the problem is. I am not inherently dissatisfied with my Dual but I really dig a 'Dyne. Just not enough to sell my Dual and shell out more money for another amp. I'm afraid I'll miss the extra gain potential and want one once it is gone. Oh, if I had a 'Dyne I would also have a mod list as well. I think it would go something like this:

1) Make it sound better at low volumes please! (10watt operation would be nice)

2) More gain available for channel 2 and 3 (In case I need it) Possibly an independent volume (Gain) control for each channel. My perfect amp would have vintage hi for channel 2 and than channel 3 with a slight boost, more vocal mids, and more gain for scorching leads!

So really, no amp is ever perfect or exactly what we need. I think I just find modding attractive because I like customizing things and I always want my gear to sound the best. I was just thinking that when I eventually need a cap job on my Dual, I wouldn't mind having a couple of annoyances tweaked. Just don't know when that will be. They **SAY** every 10 years but I've heard my Dual next to a fairly new 3 channel one so it is relatively obvious that no work needs to be done quite yet. I also see that when I'm honest, I really love the 'Dyne and my only other complaint is that you have to crank a tube amp for tone and that isn't going to change anytime soon. The reality of the situation is that once you have a drummer next to you, you NEED volume . . .

YellowJacket said:
Interesting.

I think if I was to make a laundry list for my 2 channel recto it would look something like this:

1) Make it sound better at low volumes PLEASE. Variable power switching is nice, and I'd like a 10 watt option of possible.

2) Single notes sound thin, it would be nice if they were thicker.

3) I want 3 channels, dammit. I'd love to have a clean and then have the vintage high gain also available for soloing. Make it a wicked solo tone, please! By wicked, I mean even more fluid and vocal. (Don't want to lose the red channel for crunch)

4) Pop up the upper mids a bit and cut the lows a hair. I'd like a more even and balanced tone.

5) The cleans could be warmer with more personality. The definitely sound good on my amp, but part of that is the way my guitar is currently set up.

6) Make it sound like an Electra Dyne!! PLEASE, PLEASE

7) Make it sound like an Electra Dyne!! Please, Please!

8) Make it sound like an Electra Dyne!! PLEASE!!, Please!!!, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!??!????

Now we can look back at the mod list and see how many of them are beefs I listed. Keep in mind I just stated from first to last, what was bugging me about the amp. I didn't peak.
Aside from that, points 6, 7, and 8 are really what the problem is. I am not inherently dissatisfied with my Dual but I really dig a 'Dyne. Just not enough to sell my Dual and shell out more money for another amp. I'm afraid I'll miss the extra gain potential and want one once it is gone. Oh, if I had a 'Dyne I would also have a mod list as well. I think it would go something like this:

1) Make it sound better at low volumes please! (10watt operation would be nice)

2) More gain available for channel 2 and 3 (In case I need it) Possibly an independent volume (Gain) control for each channel. My perfect amp would have vintage hi for channel 2 and than channel 3 with a slight boost, more vocal mids, and more gain for scorching leads!

So really, no amp is ever perfect or exactly what we need. I think I just find modding attractive because I like customizing things and I always want my gear to sound the best. I was just thinking that when I eventually need a cap job on my Dual, I wouldn't mind having a couple of annoyances tweaked. Just don't know when that will be. They **SAY** every 10 years but I've heard my Dual next to a fairly new 3 channel one so it is relatively obvious that no work needs to be done quite yet. I also see that when I'm honest, I really love the 'Dyne and my only other complaint is that you have to crank a tube amp for tone and that isn't going to change anytime soon. The reality of the situation is that once you have a drummer next to you, you NEED volume . . .

Agree 1000% I'm selling my marshall 2204 to raise cash for an ED but keeping my TOV

I wish I had a Marshall 2204 to sell; that and a bunch of other gear I don't use. Sadly I don't so I'll have to raise the funds in some other way. Since getting back to the 'peg, I finally have a few gigs lined up in August. One is for piano so I'd BETTER get my chops back up on that instrument =-/ I'm hoping that we can make enough money along with school to penny pinch and acquire a 'Dyne in a couple of years. I'm not complaining though, as my Dual sounds plenty good for now! If anything, I should practice more! Still I LOVE the 'Dyne. I played one at L&MQ and it ALMOST convinced me to dump my Dual for it. I was very close, but when I heard that my amp could only net me between $1,000 - $1,200, I balked at the idea. No way I am paying $1,000 in addition to selling gear to acquire another amp, especially in my current situation. If someone would offer me to trade my head for an Electra Dyne head I probably wouldn't have to think about that offer too long, but a loss of $$$s is unacceptable. Well, I'm afraid I 'might' miss the Dual and I'm rather attached to the thing, but who knows. I thought I'd miss my Rectocab but I didn't care for it as much as I THOUGHT I did. Truthfully, since putting EL-34s in my Dual and investing $370 into new PUPs and electronics for my guitar, I am much happier with my gear so I don't have quite the same desire to trade. Still, I guess guitarists are never 100% happy, at least unless they have BOTH amps. If in that situation, the Dyne was getting all the attention, then selling would seem like a more realistic option.

About the Caps, when should one HONESTLY get a cap job done? My amp was built in '93 so I'm assuming I have a few years left at least. I mean every 10 year is fine and all, but that seems a bit soon to me. Does one keep playing until problems arise or is preventative maintenance a much better approach?

Last time I sold my Recto I wound up buying another one. It has a certain vibe to it that other amps don't, and when you start jonesing for that sound nothing else really satisfies it.

One of the consistent complains I've read about the Trace Elliot mods is that he makes the Recto sound like a Trace Elliot and not like a modded Recto.

I'd be really interested to see what throwing an EQ in the loop would do for the Recto's low volume sound.

The people that do modifications mentioned here are very well know and respected. Myself I would not modify a amp that has not been modified before.... I would leave it stock. I feel the same about classic cars and breast. If it has been already modified I see no problem with Frankenstein. What others do I could care less.

A lot of these people that do modifications also make amps .... I would be more interested in one of them.
A lot of Marshall's have been modified ..... I have yet to see one that I thought sounded as good as a stock amp with a pedal in front. (I am not much into boosting and like a amp without pedals better for most things) Many feel the same as I do on this subject. YMMV

Having said that I am interested in this ...

http://www.hugeracksinc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69694&hilit=jet+city

screamingdaisy said:
Last time I sold my Recto I wound up buying another one. It has a certain vibe to it that other amps don't, and when you start jonesing for that sound nothing else really satisfies it.
This is why I am hesitant to ditch it. Better off to build a collection instead!!

One of the consistent complains I've read about the Trace Elliot mods is that he makes the Recto sound like a Trace Elliot and not like a modded Recto.

I guess this guy likes a certain 'sound'. Kind of how all Mesa amps sound like Mesa, whether they are going for 'american' or 'british' tones. I thought Voodoo attempted to mod an amp to what the player wants, not what they like.

I'd be really interested to see what throwing an EQ in the loop would do for the Recto's low volume sound.

Could be interesting but more $$$s.

stephen sawall said:
The people that do modifications mentioned here are very well know and respected. Myself I would not modify a amp that has not been modified before.... I would leave it stock. I feel the same about classic cars and breast. If it has been already modified I see no problem with Frankenstein. What others do I could care less.

Ya, I'd almost want 2 rectos if I was going to get a modded one. Still, it is tempting. The thing I find curious is that if I complain about everything that bothers me about the amp, these are all the same complains Voodoo says they fix.

A lot of these people that do modifications also make amps .... I would be more interested in one of them.
A lot of Marshall's have been modified ..... I have yet to see one that I thought sounded as good as a stock amp with a pedal in front. (I am not much into boosting and like a amp without pedals better for most things) Many feel the same as I do on this subject. YMMV

Having said that I am interested in this ...

http://www.hugeracksinc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69694&hilit=jet+city

My biggest problem is that I LOVE customizing things. I would love to poke around and customize my amp in the same way I've customized my speaker cab and my guitar now. I mean many people swap pickups and electronics in the Les Paul and yet it still sounds like a Les Paul . . .

Any thoughts on how often to get a cap job done? I'm curious what people have to say about this . . .

You may find this interesting ..... it can be done on any DR I believe.

http://www.hugeracksinc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69663

He posted about it here also.

Cap jobs I have heard all kinds of numbers 10/15/20 years I hear the most.

Haha, this sounds like a great way for me to electrocute myself!!! I would need something cheaper than a dual to learn how to mod. Perhaps a Bugera would do!? If I had a second amp, I'd be much more likely to tweak things, but I just don't trust myself in a $2,000 amp. Don't ask me why I mucked about in my guitar . . . I'm still tempted though!

So an amp built in '93 is definitely a candidate for a cab job, at least in three years from now. I don't know if I completely buy that, especially since it sounds so close to a much newer Dual. I suppose if we both were running great guitars, tubes, and cabs, and there was a huge gap in performance, then I should start asking questions. Then again, always running in 50watts doesn't tax the amp the same way . . . I think my biggest problem is that I go out LOOKING for excuses to sink money into my gear . . . Anyone else know anything about cab jobs? I wonder if Monsta-Tone would care to chime in?

YellowJacket said:
Haha, this sounds like a great way for me to electrocute myself!!! I would need something cheaper than a dual to learn how to mod. Perhaps a Bugera would do!? If I had a second amp, I'd be much more likely to tweak things, but I just don't trust myself in a $2,000 amp. Don't ask me why I mucked about in my guitar . . . I'm still tempted though!

So an amp built in '93 is definitely a candidate for a cab job, at least in three years from now. I don't know if I completely buy that, especially since it sounds so close to a much newer Dual. I suppose if we both were running great guitars, tubes, and cabs, and there was a huge gap in performance, then I should start asking questions. Then again, always running in 50watts doesn't tax the amp the same way . . . I think my biggest problem is that I go out LOOKING for excuses to sink money into my gear . . . Anyone else know anything about cab jobs? I wonder if Monsta-Tone would care to chime in?

When I bought a used 1999 TOV I thought the caps would be fine but, I had them replaced to be safe.

Oh, how do you know when to get a cap job done?

A Cap Job includes replacing the electrolytic / filter capacitors in the B+/high voltage supply, bias supply and electrolytic bypass capacitors in the preamp section of your amplifier. Electrolytic (polarized) capacitors have an inherent wear-out mechanism and will eventually fail. Electrolytic caps are designed to last 10 years. It is a tribute to the quality of manufacture that they last longer though they are seldom doing 100% of their job. If filter caps get too hot, are not used much (IE: amp is stored, etc) the oxide film slowly un-forms, the leakage current goes up and the cap(s) will eventually short often times leading to costly repair(s). Replacing filter caps is considered standard maintenance for tube amplifiers. To avoid tonal degradation, unwanted hum and noise or potential failure in the power supply your amp should be re-capped once every 10 years.

The thing I find curious is that if I complain about everything that bothers me about the amp, these are all the same complains Voodoo says they fix.

Perhaps I can explain a bit more in depth in the hopes that it helps. We receive many emails and phone calls each day. We take the most common complaints about an amp and design Modifications to address these complaints while retaining the qualities and characteristics players love about their Mesa.

If what you like or dislike is outside of what our Standard Mods address then we can perform a Custom Mod to meet your specific needs. These can be minimal changes or more in depth based solely on each player’s individual needs.

Tone is a matter of taste and as with all matters of taste there can be no right or wrong. In the end, if you are happy with your tone then it matters not how you got there or what you are using, only that you are happy.

All the best;
Trace

Trace,
thanks for your reply.

Hey, is there any way to test caps to see if they need replacing or not? You know, like the wear marks on tires? I don't mind getting maintenance done but I wouldn't want to replace a component that is perfectly fine. Additionally, I would DEFINITELY want to replace something that is inhibiting performance or endangering the structural integrity of my amp.

As for mods, my only REAL complaint with my Dual right now is that I wish it sounded better at lower volumes. I find it hits the 'sweet spot' at about 9:00 - 9:30 on the master volume (2 channel Rev F) and just sounds great from there on up. My complaints about the amp mostly disappear once it gets to that volume. My problem is that when I play, I am *Mostly* using it at low volumes these days and by low I mean 'almost off'.

YellowJacket said:
Trace,
thanks for your reply.

Hey, is there any way to test caps to see if they need replacing or not? You know, like the wear marks on tires? I don't mind getting maintenance done but I wouldn't want to replace a component that is perfectly fine. Additionally, I would DEFINITELY want to replace something that is inhibiting performance or endangering the structural integrity of my amp.

Aside from what I posted most of what you are looking for is covered at length on the net and can commonly be found via a google search. In general, caps will eventually leak fluid and while it is visually obvious, by the time this occurs you are well beyond the point where the caps should have been replaced. If you have a scope then you can take a closer look that way as well. Yes the amp can work if the caps are leaking electrolytic fluid but it does mean the caps are doing 100% of their job.

YellowJacket said:
As for mods, my only REAL complaint with my Dual right now is that I wish it sounded better at lower volumes. I find it hits the 'sweet spot' at about 9:00 - 9:30 on the master volume (2 channel Rev F) and just sounds great from there on up. My complaints about the amp mostly disappear once it gets to that volume. My problem is that when I play, I am *Mostly* using it at low volumes these days and by low I mean 'almost off'.

It does not sound like you need to Mod the amp as you are happy with it when it gets to a moderate volume. There are options available to you however it’s important to determine if your ear wants to hear the amp working a bit harder or the speakers moving more air. If it's the amp that can be dealt with in several ways but if it's the speakers then they only way to get that is to have the amp at the volume you like it at (just being honest).

All the best;
Trace

Aside from what I posted most of what you are looking for is covered at length on the net and can commonly be found via a google search. In general, caps will eventually leak fluid and while it is visually obvious, by the time this occurs you are well beyond the point where the caps should have been replaced. If you have a scope then you can take a closer look that way as well. Yes the amp can work if the caps are leaking electrolytic fluid but it does mean the caps are doing 100% of their job.

I'll definitely have to do some research on this. I like to do as much maintenance myself as possible, provided I don't stop my heart by accident! If I can test capacitor values so I can *know* that they are not performing 100%, then I have no problem with getting things tuned up.

It does not sound like you need to Mod the amp as you are happy with it when it gets to a moderate volume. There are options available to you however it’s important to determine if your ear wants to hear the amp working a bit harder or the speakers moving more air. If it's the amp that can be dealt with in several ways but if it's the speakers then they only way to get that is to have the amp at the volume you like it at (just being honest).

All the best;
Trace

Well, it is hard to say. I was doing some 'tests' today and the gear does sound best at gig volume, but like you said, it most likely is partially related to speaker rounding at loud volumes. I perceive that the amp has more and more gain as it goes louder and louder and once it gets to gigging volumes, the tone is much tighter and thicker. At that point, I turn the gain down to compensate. For what it's worth, I love looser speakers such as G12H 30s or G12m Heritage. The general perception of tone in general is that gain is thin and has a very buzzy quality to it at low volumes but once it is at a moderate volume, the buzzing goes away. It is like the tone just magically opens up. It sounds good with the master at 9:00 and epic by the time it is 10:00 to 11:30. Running with two power tubes, by the time it gets to about 10:30 - 11:00, it is definitely gig volume. I don't even know if the sort of tones I like are even possible at the volumes I want!

I *DO* love the sound of my amp with Yellow Jackets in it but I also like it with EL-34s. Each tone has an individual charm and is great for certain specific applications. Generally speaking, I run it with just two power tubes since it makes for more clipping at lower volumes.

YellowJacket said:
I'll definitely have to do some research on this. I like to do as much maintenance myself as possible, provided I don't stop my heart by accident! If I can test capacitor values so I can *know* that they are not performing 100%, then I have no problem with getting things tuned up.

I certainly have no problem with players doing their own maintenance and we encourage it.

For the benefit of those reading who are not posting - As it pertains to capjobs there are other things that go into the price aside from the cost of the caps. A large portion is the labor or time that it takes to work on a unit.

Hand Wired Amps - This is not a guarantee but you can usually unsolder the 2 legs of each cap, install the new ones and solder the new legs in place (not counting the ones with load resistors attached). This is not the case on 99% of Mesa/Boogie amps.

PCB Equipped Amps - As all Mesa amps have PCB's (printed circuit boards) you generally have to do a fair amount of work to get to the point where you can remove the PCB's that house the caps you need to change. This involves but is not limited to; disconnecting numerous wires, removing all knobs, screws, washers on the front/rear panel controls, etc. Naturally there are some values that may be hard to acquire and the other factor is getting good quality filter caps that will give you the same quality of tone and feel. Mesa has been good about using Sprauge caps for a long time and Sprauges are still available. The amount of work varies on the age of each amp model. Often times the old Mesa's tend to require more labor to assemble and disassemble. I should add that soldering is an art form and good solder skills are necessary when soldering on PCB's. IE: If you damage/destroy a pad or trace you are then entering in a repair.

This is by no means meant to discourage the purchase of PCB equipped amps. As long as a qualified tech is servicing the amp and has experience with recapping a Mesa amp you should be more than fine.

YellowJacket said:
Well, it is hard to say. I was doing some 'tests' today and the gear does sound best at gig volume, but like you said, it most likely is partially related to speaker rounding at loud volumes. I perceive that the amp has more and more gain as it goes louder and louder and once it gets to gigging volumes, the tone is much tighter and thicker.

It depends on how you are setting all the control knobs/features. Some tend to crank the channel master's pretty high and keep the Solo Master (fx-loop master) set lower. This tends to hit the fx-loop with a lot of signal which sounds and feels different than reversing the settings of the Master Volumes. Without knowing how you are setting the amp is difficult for me to tell you what you are experiencing and how you can best combat that to get a better tone at lower volumes (just being honest).

YellowJacket said:
At that point, I turn the gain down to compensate. For what it's worth, I love looser speakers such as G12H 30s or G12m Heritage. The general perception of tone in general is that gain is thin and has a very buzzy quality to it at low volumes but once it is at a moderate volume, the buzzing goes away. It is like the tone just magically opens up. It sounds good with the master at 9:00 and epic by the time it is 10:00 to 11:30. Running with two power tubes, by the time it gets to about 10:30 - 11:00, it is definitely gig volume. I don't even know if the sort of tones I like are even possible at the volumes I want!

I *DO* love the sound of my amp with Yellow Jackets in it but I also like it with EL-34s. Each tone has an individual charm and is great for certain specific applications. Generally speaking, I run it with just two power tubes since it makes for more clipping at lower volumes.

You have a lot going on and I would need to know what the over all rig consists of before I can honestly tell you if you can get that tone at lower volumes or not. If that is something you wish to pursue please give me a call at 607-256-0465 so we can discuss it more in depth (I can only type so fast--lol).

All the best;
Trace

In regards to DYI Cap jobs, soldering DEFINITELY is an art. It is bad enough working on my guitar and I can't even begin to comprehend the mess I'd make of an amp. If I get into amp building, I'd much rather work on a simple point to point wired model instead. Seems like less of a hassle for a beginner.

In regards to signal chain, it isn't so bad since I'm totally NOT a pedal / effects loop guy.

Guitar: Gibson Les Paul Standard Premium Plus 2002 (solid body)
Bare Knuckle Rebel Yell calibrated set.

CTS 500k pots 50s wiring style to .022 uf Paper in Oil caps.

Mesa Dual Rectifier
Preamp tubes: Mesa SP 12ax7a in v1 and v2. The rest are Mesa badged 12ax7s. Not sure what the brand is.
Low wattage: 2 Yellow Jackets JJ EL-84s (one rectifier tube)
High wattage: 2 EL-34s. Mesa STR 447s, I believe. The premium ones! I have RARELY ever had a need to run this thing at 100watts. I think there was one time we did a show on the back of a semi trailer and only then did we run the amps off of the trailer and the vocals through the mains.

Cab. Homemade thiele cab according to the EV speaker box plans. Basically 2 1 x 12s in one box.
A Hellatone 60L in one side and a G12m Heritage in the other.

basically a 50watt cab for all intents and purposes.

I have another cab build I am going to start soon. It will be a Celestion MC90 and a v30 in something very similar to a Mills Mach212B. Same sort of idea with an interior baffle with the same dimensions. I made the plans and I just have to build the thing, once the hardware arrives . . .

We just had a rehearsal on Monday and I realized that 'low' volumes are really ridiculous in any practical sense. What was once 'moderately loud' was then completely devoured by the drummer. I was thinking of getting a few things tweaked on the amp when I get around to having a cap job done but the honest truth is that I'd much rather just buy a second amp that does what I want. If I was to suggest mods, I'd basically want a solo boost and for the amp to sound more like a Marshall / Electra Dyne. (less brittle one note work and more fluid lead tones) Once the work was done, I'd probably want the Dual 'tone' again in which case buying a Marshall / Electra Dyne would have been the more wise purchase in the first place because I could juggle between the two as necessary. I think the problem right now really is related to a huge change in playing opportunities and style. Back 6 or 7 years ago, when I was still actively gigging, I was primarily a rhythm guitarist playing punk / chainsaw rock so I really cared mostly about HUGE phat rhythm chords, slow chugging, or lightning quicksilver palm mutes. The Dual is perfect for this. As you can imagine, a big sound with a bit of sag is not bad for slow or moderate tempo rock. It just makes it sound bigger. Then with punk, you simply roll the bass way back, turn the gain down, and turn the mids up. This makes the amp super fast for that style so it works fine with that too. When I'd bust out the occasional little riff or lead line, it sounded fine for that.
It is only now, after years of cello technique, where my hands are quick and I am working hard on my lead playing / soloing. A switch in style both changes ones ear and places demands on ones playing. This is when I have begun to take the Dual into territory where I am unfamiliar with it. Basically, my perfect amp now has weaknesses as well as strengths so I have to compensate for this somehow. That being said, once the Dual gets loud enough that the speakers are working correctly, it sounds awesome. I just need to find more places to play!

Latest posts

Back