V:90 Resonance in 90W mode

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarebitusa

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
So I like running the V, Ch 1 Fat in 90W mode for the clean headroom. I have noticed there is this major bass resonance (low A down to E) that sounds/feels like a compressor on with alot of sustain. To compensate, rolling down the bass has been one solution or going to 45W mode or EQ'ng the signal before with a 250Hz cut. Much less noticeable with Clean voicing, but Tweed does it too. Also more noticeable with the EVM, other cabs V30s or C90s seem to behave better. Since Ch2/Ch3 is typically set to 45W or 10W they don't get it there.

Anyway, I do work around it, but was just curious why the 90W mode would appear to exhibit this?

What volumes are you playing at?
What size rooms are you playing in?
Passive electronics or otherwise?
Have you done any tube rolling?

I've personally never experienced it with EVM12L in an extension cab coming off the Mark V Combo that has the stock Black Widow. I use guitars with pickups of multiple flavors and haven't noticed anything of that nature.
I also run a pedalboard with many different boosts, drives, fuzz, etc.
The headroom is so high on this amp and on an EVM12L that I agree it would be bizarre to experience that phenomenon at band volume even IMO.

Well things have progressed since the posting, most of the issue was room and cab related. The studio room where the issue was presenting itself was on the small side. Chan 1 master typically set at noon, global master 10:30-11 dependent on the room and the cabs being run with it. Wasn't an issue in a larger rehearsal area or the live venues.

So I like running the V, Ch 1 Fat in 90W mode for the clean headroom. I have noticed there is this major bass resonance (low A down to E) that sounds/feels like a compressor on with alot of sustain. To compensate, rolling down the bass has been one solution or going to 45W mode or EQ'ng the signal before with a 250Hz cut. Much less noticeable with Clean voicing, but Tweed does it too. Also more noticeable with the EVM, other cabs V30s or C90s seem to behave better. Since Ch2/Ch3 is typically set to 45W or 10W they don't get it there.

Anyway, I do work around it, but was just curious why the 90W mode would appear to exhibit this?
My Maverick does the same thing. Look at my post from last fall and no one has an explanation for it. Seems to happen with EL84 Boogies more than 6L6's. It may be a function of the pre-amp though.....interesting info and thanks for posting.

Is the speaker new? I've had that happen with brand new speakers... I crank the bass on the amp and the active EQ I have in the guitar and play it like that for about 30 minutes to break the speaker in and it loosens up and the resonance stops happening after I return the EQ to normal settings.

Latest posts

Back