amp head as carry-on on plane?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barneyc4

Reaction score
Do you guys think its possible take an amp head inside an ATA case as a carry-on on a plane?

It would depend on the airline and their specific restrictions. Even a short chassis Mark in a case would be pushing it. Check your airline's website for details on carry ons.

Its doesn't matter about the size anyways. No tube Head would ever pass the weight restriction. Even a single recto is 40 pounds. Twice the amount for any Carry-on for most Airlines that I have ever been on. Now I can't say I know for sure of course...but in my experience this has been the case.
My 2 cents.
Hum

I think you're right... it won't be allowed, specially after they see all the wires and stuff... they might think its something else.
I think im going to have to check it or ship it.

Something electronic...if they see it...they always do a chemical swab....basically to test for C4, chemicals, remote devices...stuff of that nature. I think the weight thing is your biggest issue.

They won't let it on as carry on, much less with an ATA case. Guitars I can get away with depending on the airline (if you're in the states, southwest airlines is really good about this). But amp head, no way. I have an ATA case for my dual recto and checked it as regular luggage (although I think I might have had to pay extra for it beign over 50 pounds). Either way it was worth it because if I shipped it I would imagine it would be around the same cost, but it travels with me and doesn't get tossed and thrown around as much. I pulled the tubes out and wrapped them in newspaper and put them in the little side compartment my case has (Got it from Monik Angstrom, the ebay seller from canada). Worked wonderfully.

broknstuff said:
They won't let it on as carry on, much less with an ATA case. Guitars I can get away with depending on the airline (if you're in the states, southwest airlines is really good about this). But amp head, no way. I have an ATA case for my dual recto and checked it as regular luggage (although I think I might have had to pay extra for it beign over 50 pounds). Either way it was worth it because if I shipped it I would imagine it would be around the same cost, but it travels with me and doesn't get tossed and thrown around as much. I pulled the tubes out and wrapped them in newspaper and put them in the little side compartment my case has (Got it from Monik Angstrom, the ebay seller from canada). Worked wonderfully.

broknstuff, which airline did you travel with? I flying with continental and american airlines. I also plan on checking it in as regular bagage.
Ive heard its not a good idea to remove the tubes from a head, specially when its a combo amp when shipping it. I guess that person didn't know anything?

barneyc4 said:
Do you guys think its possible take an amp head inside an ATA case as a carry-on on a plane?

If its in a road case I wouldnt worry about it . Thats what they are made for . I would remove the tubes though .

barneyc4 said:

If its in a road case I wouldnt worry about it . Thats what they are made for . I would remove the tubes though .

Latest posts

Back