Adding second Boogie to a LSS 1x12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmr

Reaction score
I just found the Boogie Board last week and have enjoyed reading the posts of the last 6 months or so -- I've learned a lot. This is my first post.

This week I traded in my 20 year old Studio Caliber 22+ for a Lone Star Special 1x12 combo. I'm quite happy with the LSS, especially its relatively low wattage for studio work. I'd like to add a second Boogie for diversity in tones and was hoping to get some recommendations here. I'd like a full range of tones, though I play most blues and not much metal. At first I was thinking about adding a Stiletto Ace or Deuce, but those are EL84s like the LSS. Thinking about a 6L6 amp, I am considering an Express 5:50 versus a high-power amp such as a Roadster or RK II. I have a BB Preamp and have ordered a RK Butler Tube Driver for more gain.

Does anyone have an opinion about whether adding a Stiletto or an Express 5:50 would give the greatest sonic diversity to a LSS? Alternately, I have considered returning the LSS and getting a LSC and a Stiletto. Another alternative would be to go with a RK II by itself. But, I've really been enjoying overdriving power tubes of the LSS in the studio this week.

The LSS is an EL84 based amp. But the Stiletto's are EL34 based, not EL84s. EL34s are much bigger bottles. The 5:50s are 6L6 based.

I would just try them all and see what you like. I believe Andy Timmons runs a dual amp setup with a LSC and a Stiletto Deuce if that helps you.

kmr said:
I just found the Boogie Board last week and have enjoyed reading the posts of the last 6 months or so -- I've learned a lot. This is my first post.

This week I traded in my 20 year old Studio Caliber 22+ for a Lone Star Special 1x12 combo. I'm quite happy with the LSS, especially its relatively low wattage for studio work. I'd like to add a second Boogie for diversity in tones and was hoping to get some recommendations here. I'd like a full range of tones, though I play most blues and not much metal. At first I was thinking about adding a Stiletto Ace or Deuce, but those are EL84s like the LSS. Thinking about a 6L6 amp, I am considering an Express 5:50 versus a high-power amp such as a Roadster or RK II. I have a BB Preamp and have ordered a RK Butler Tube Driver for more gain.

Does anyone have an opinion about whether adding a Stiletto or an Express 5:50 would give the greatest sonic diversity to a LSS? Alternately, I have considered returning the LSS and getting a LSC and a Stiletto. Another alternative would be to go with a RK II by itself. But, I've really been enjoying overdriving power tubes of the LSS in the studio this week.

Let me know if you feel the need for a Stiletto Ace combo. 8) I can hook you up!

simonich said:
The LSS is an EL84 based amp. But the Stiletto's are EL34 based, not EL84s.
Whoops! Thanks for the correction.
I would just try them all and see what you like
That's good advice. Unfortunately, my local store only has an Ace in stock and not an 5:50 or a LSC. I did try to listen to the RK II there, but it had no sound output and then blew its fuse. :(

JOEY B. said:
Let me know if you feel the need for a Stiletto Ace combo. 8) I can hook you up!
Thanks, I'll let you know if decide upon an Ace. Is that a 1x12 combo?

Thanks to every one that responded. I played a MkIV and an Ace Combo for a while today and ended up taking the Ace home. Joey, that's a good price for your Ace, if you were local I would have picked it up from you.

Next stop, a G-Force for effects and stereo amplification and a GCX Guitar Audio Switcher for switching between the LSS and Ace preamps.

Again, thanks for the input provided.

I have an LSS and an LSC. The LSC is a great complement to the LSS, especially 2x12 (or head with cab). Bigger sound, more clean headroom, classic 6L6 sound.

GeoBull: Thanks very much for the input. A LSC was my first choice, but the dealer doesn't stock them and said it could take a few weeks to months to get one. It's nice to hear the two Lone Stars go well together.

Back