A new Mark IV clip!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OverDriven

Reaction score
This is pretty much my third ever mic'ed up recording. I'm getting better though. Mark IV > SM57 > Audiobuddy Preamp > Cubase SX3. Enjoy and lemme know what you think.

OK click the link, then click the + to the right side of the file name to download it. I think it sounds best that way.

http://www.box.net/shared/bh3bo5zukh

Pic:

DSC00495.JPG

Sounds pretty good. I'd like to hear vocals over it. There could be so many different approaches. Good job though 8)

Sounds really good!!!! Do you mind sharing your settings and tubes????

Killswitch Engage!! Nice job man. I just want to ask what pickups you are using and what are those Boogie box things beside the cab.

Did you use two tracks for this because I can hear a change in that one riff with the hammer ons and pull offs.

yea man. would you mind posting settings. that sounds amazing. Also. whats the blue box on the top of the amp. How/where did you place the mic

Yeah man sounds awesome! I too am just now getting into micing my Mark IV and it is a blast! That LP is rockin that 212 cab! What's the boogie boxes beside the amp?!

wads3 said:
Sounds really good!!!! Do you mind sharing your settings and tubes????

Ok here are the settings...

Top Row Left to Right:

6.5 - Pull
7.5 - Pull
3.5 - Pull
6 - Pull

Bottom Row Left to Right:

7 - Pull
7.5 - Pull

EQ on for lead channel:

80: Between top and middle line
240: SLIGHTLY boosted above middle line
750: 3/4 of the way to the bottom line
2200: Middle line
6600: Middle line

Other settings:

Mid gain
Triode mode
Simulclass
Full Power
Reverb: 0

That should do it. All 3 channels sounds pretty cool with these settings.

Tubes are all Mesa tubes.

tempest1226 said:
yea man. would you mind posting settings. that sounds amazing. Also. whats the blue box on the top of the amp. How/where did you place the mic

The blue box is a Guyatone MD-3 delay (that and the POD aren't in use at all here). BTW if you want a great delay for around $100, check the MD-3 out...it's amazing sounding.

MusicManJP6 said:
Yeah man sounds awesome! I too am just now getting into micing my Mark IV and it is a blast! That LP is rockin that 212 cab! What's the boogie boxes beside the amp?!

That box is just a little box I found that has two compartments. I store extra tubes on the bottom and picks and things in the top. The boogie label is just a sticker I put on it. :D

ibanez4life SZ! said:
I'd also love to hear more about settings and the setup!

Setup was as follows:

LTD EC-1000 with Dimarzio MegaDrive in the bridge and Humbucker from Hell in the neck. Of course only the bridge was used here.

That goes straight into the MKIV. No pedals are in use here.

Mic is a single sm57 on the 2x12 Recto cab with V30's. Mic was off axis about half way between the dust cap and speaker edge and was right up against the grille cloth.

The mic was fed into an M-Audio Audiobuddy Preamp (cheap $90 solid state preamp I picked up).

From there it goes into my computer via an M-Audio 2496 sound card and then into Cubase SX3.

That's pretty much it!

Elpelotero said:
i've heard this riff before. is it a cover? or maybe I've just heard your clips before. either way, nice tone man!

It was a track off the Resident Evil soundtrack. I think someone mentioned Killswitch Engage. I think that would be the track.

Good recording. Think the tempo could have been brought up a little.

I'm constantly amazed by Mark IV clips. I just can't find one to try myself. Reading your recommended settings seems intimidating.

How long did it take you to get it to that tone that you liked? Do you set the amp and pretty much leave it? That's one thing that really concerns me. I know how to dial recto's quickly. I pretty much set them and leave em. I don't have a lot of time to tweak but I love the tones I hear from the Mark IV.

Thanks for posting.

How long did it take you to get it to that tone that you liked? Do you set the amp and pretty much leave it? That's one thing that really concerns me. I know how to dial recto's quickly. I pretty much set them and leave em. I don't have a lot of time to tweak but I love the tones I hear from the Mark IV.

That is a pretty good observation, and you are right, the MIV can be very tricky to dial in to your liking. But, YES you can dial it in and leave it once you find the settings you like. There are a ton of knobs, but that means a TON of tone possibilities. Instead of switching amps when you get tired of a certain tone, you can just adjust the knobs and switches to taste. I found my tone and have left it since, although I play with other settings sometimes, but always come back to the original settings I found. It's not a plug and play amp, but it sounds SOOOO good once you learn the ins and outs of the knobs and switches. Took me about 2 weeks to get to where I understood how it works. It's not too bad. I heard a friend's MIV before I bought one for myself. That's all it took! Get one and you won't be disappointed!

Elpelotero said:
i've heard this riff before. is it a cover? or maybe I've just heard your clips before. either way, nice tone man!

It's "End of Heartache" by Killswitch Engage.

clutch71 said:
I'm constantly amazed by Mark IV clips. I just can't find one to try myself. Reading your recommended settings seems intimidating.

Thanks for posting.

It's really easy to dial the Mark IV once you have it for about a week. Mine is pretty much dialed and left, though I tweak the graphic EQ from time to time. I started from some settings on the Grailtone setting database and went from there. It took me a few weeks of owning it to come to the tone I'm on now. I've only had it a little bit over a month though.

Very nicely done!

I really like Killswitch Engage too - so that was an added bonus. I had that same exact guitart (only w/ black hardware) - they're killer. I played it daily for three or four years but I ended up selling it on the bay and switched to an fixed bridge Ibanez. But it was a great guitar - solid as a tank too 8)

Wow! Thats some great recording, I'm really impessed by the tone! Did you mix it and EQ it quite a bit in Garageband? I'm using a Roadster, and I have yet to find that tone. Did you have a tubescreamer in there?

Latest posts

Back