A/Bd an Electradyne with my DC-5 yesterday

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madryan

Reaction score
Took my DC-5 head and my Les Paul up to the nearest Boogie dealer (couple hundred miles) as my wife had a meeting so it was an all expenses paid, hotel, dinner thing. So I head off to my favorite music store and they've got both the Electradyne head and combo so I fired up the head into an OS Recto cab and right next to it I fired up my trusty DC into an identical Recto cab.

I started by playing around with the Electadyne. It's really a cool amp. It's stupidly easy and the shared EQ doesn't bother me a bit. The different modes and the Simul/regular modes made it super versatile. The Lonestar clean is stellar as always.

But...

Here's the kicker. I could dial my DC in to duplicate every tone I could get from the Electradyne. I'm not talking close enough for a blind test in a closed studio room, but nobody in even a small venue would have been able to tell the difference between the two in a live setup.

The Electradyne sounds bigger (It is 90w ya know) and it's a bit punchier ala mark series and overall, I see it being one of the best gigging amps mesa's put out in years but I'd have to actually play one out for a while before I'd confirm that. The electradyne also cleans up better with just the volume knob than the DC.

It's a great amp. It's obviously going for the general low to mid gain rocker folks but I suspect it'll get as heavy as anyone would ever want. I'd also bet that with EL-34's it'd sound just like my Rockerverb.

So there it is.

IMO, the Electradyne is a nicer amp, but it's double and then some what I paid for my mint DC.

Back