6v6s in the mark iv

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeppman

Reaction score
My JJ 6v6s just showed up at my door step! Those of you who have installed them, how should I dial in my settings as compared to the 6l6s?

I'm thinking of going to the 6V6's in my MKIV... Let me know what you think of them. As far as settings changing plug em in and play with it :) Let me know what they're like.

Hi zeppman. I've been working with 6v6's for a couple of months & just tried something yesterday that gave me an "oh wow" Turn the output level to 5 & turn the individual master really low. Mine are anywhere from 1 to 2. Those 6v6's will really cook! Then you can start turning up the individual masters to get the volume you need on each channel. Try it & tell me how you like it. Take care......

Actually I had the wrong tubes shipped to me... gotta wait another few days till the 6v6s get here. I'll let you all know when I get them in and try them out.

zeppman,

You're probably already on it, but as I remember the manual says only Tweed Power and Simul-class when using 6v6 tubes. I think they also recommend a switch of the speaker cable to a socket of different ohm-age.

I'll look forward to hearing about your experience with them. I keep thinking about trying 6v6s, but I just like the sound with the 6L6 tubes so much.

Hey thanks marklyn. Yeah, I was already on that... I've been thinking about it for a while now too, so I've been researching. Due to the shipping mix up, I still haven't gotten them in the mail yet. Hopefully today though, and I'll be sure to rock out all night and post what I think of them.

Ok, so I just got down rocking out for a good hour or so after putting in the 6v6s.... and all I have to say is: HOLY SH!T WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I think I have finally gotten it! This is really the tone I have been looking for all along. Smooth, sweet with a little bit of vintage. For anyone who uses there amp for any type of blues driven music (not just blues, but classic rock, jazz, jam band) and you have a mark iv, you should really give these a try. I really need to try them with the band, but first impressions blew me away. I'm not so sure about a metal tone, since I don't play that and I play a Fender, but for a warm sweet blues tone from a strat, this is it! Very happy. I'll post again once I play with the band.

Yeah.. the manual is very specific.

Tweed Power ONLY.
Simul-Class ONLY.
Switch Speaker Cable to one of the 4 Ohm Positions.

They weren't specific about whether to run Pentode or Triode. Not sure what different that would make...

I don't think the triode/pentode thing matters, although I'm running triode. Sounds very sweet.

I just made this change as well and yeah, it is exactly what I was looking for!

I love the tracking (note definition) on the lead channel high gain with the 6L6's in pentode ( ala Steve Vai ). How much of that does the amp lose with 6V6's? I'd hate to get a mush on fast runs down low...and I read in an article on the Boogie web site that 6V6's tend to get mushy when they saturate. How is the tracking with the 6V6's in Triode?

I find it's definitely "creamier" - but I'm playing at relatively low volumes with my lead gain at 9 and my lead drive at 8 (neither pulled).

Latest posts

Back