5881 Experimentation

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev1nesq.

Reaction score
Hey Everyone

I have a '93 2chann Dual Recto and have been doing some power tube experimentation. The latest thing I've done is switch from 6l6 glc to 5881.

My question is, can you run a pair of Mesa stock 5881's (ruby's i believe??) in tandem with a pair of tung sol 5881's?? And also would I be harming any part of my recto in running it that way?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can't thank each of you enough for your vast knowledge of Recto's and tubes. Since becoming a member of this Board, I read quite thoroughly about preamp tube placement and have since change my preamp tube setup to :

V1: Tung sol 12ax7(new sensor, new production)
V2: Tung sol 12ax7(new sensor, new production)
V3: Mullard 12ax7(new sensor, new production)
V4: JJ ecc803s
V5: Mullard 12ax7w/balanced triodes(new sensor, new production)

this may not be the taste of choice for everyone, but if you want some monster gain with a great tone, here's a recipe that about made me shart!!!!

kev1nesq. said:
My question is, can you run a pair of Mesa stock 5881's (ruby's i believe??) in tandem with a pair of tung sol 5881's??
Original Tung-Sol 5881 were designed with lower plate voltage than the 6L6GC that Mesa's amps use. You'll want to make sure you don't redplate those nice old (expensive) tubes. I would simply contact Mesa/Boogie with this question - they're very responsive and helpful.

- Thom

Latest posts

Back