.50 Caliber

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zakkinc

Reaction score
Are there two versions? I have noticed some have 6L6's and others EL84's, does it have a bias selector? I don't see much info in the user manual on Mesa'a site...

there were different production with el34 and 6l6 indeed...

the difference between 50 and 50+ is the lead control on the + version...

i think that there's version without the GEQ but i'm not sure...

there's no bias control... it's fixed, like any mesa i think...

that's all i know...

I think by "bias selector" he means can you switch between EL-84s and 6L6s.
No. They are different size tubes. EL-84s are closer in size to pre-amp tubes, e.g., 12AX7, etc.
The 50 Caliber+ is the 6L6 version.

There are no EL34 versions. Any Caliber with EL34s you see has been modded. The + has two 6L6s. The non-plus has four EL84s. THe amp is fixed bias as standard. Buy one if you can.

I just sold mine to Jamme61. I wanted to keep it, but can't keep them all.

They are really nice amps for classic rock to old school punk & metal tones.

The Cleans are REALLY fat and warm too!

They have 2 versions of the +. EL84 & 6L6.
They do not have a Bias Sellect to use EL-34's. These amps came out before that was a standard feature.
Mine said it was made in '90, and is signed by George Mueller.
Mike B. at Boogie says that the EL-84 models are much more aggressive than the 6L6.

The + dictates that it has the EQ. I am not sure what other changes occured with the +.

They are all Fixed Bias, unless they have been modded.

The + dictates that it has the EQ. I am not sure what other changes occured with the +.

i don't think... i never saw a caliber + or not without the GEQ... and i'm pretty sure that the + mean that there's the lead control...

when i read the user manuals

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/50 Caliber Series.pdf

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/50 Caliber Plus.pdf

it seems that 50 means el34 and no lead control and 50+ 6l6 lead control...

but i'm sure that both got the GEQ

i like that kind of debate :lol:

i have the 6L6 version, 50 cal+ with GEQ. Same as on the studio.22, "+" reffers to "lead master" (volume control for the lead channel), it has nothing to do with the GEQ. There are both plus and nonplus versions with and without the graphic. :wink:

Cool, thanks for the input! I'm sold, I've been into the Mark series, (II/III & IV) but thought I'd try another Boogie...I hear that generally the 6L6's are smoother than EL34's what version .50 Cal would you guys suggest for a Metallica type tone? but my crazy soon to be x wife had me in jail for some terrible lies she told. Metallica 89-92 Live era...

How much crap can be talked about one amp?? :evil:

It's simple:
.50 Caliber = 4 x EL84 power tubes
.50 Caliber + = 2 x 6L6 power tubes

The Lead Master was added when they changed the amp to 6L6s.

THERE ARE NO EL34 CALIBERS IN STANDARD FORM!!! If you don't believe me, ring MESA and ask them.

AFAIK all .50s have graphic EQ (some 22s don't) and none have adjustable bias.

the + means that you can switch from rhytm to lead without footswitch, just by pulling up the gain potentiometer...
and i think that for metallica tone you need this, markIII or mark IIc/+
but the caliber is cheapest and for me the greatest :)

Latest posts

Back