.50 Caliber + Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I have a .50 Caliber+ combo, I am using it as a head, I have the 4OHM from the amp going straight into the 4OHM jack on my Marshall 1960B Cab, the selector switch on my amp is set to Mono.

It seems as though when I turn up both the Master and Lead Master past 2.5, say in the 3-4.5 range it sounds as though my amp looses it's balls sort to speak, almost makes more of a fart like noise, overall. Doesn't have the clear punchy tone that I'm looking for.

Not sure if this is just the way these amps are or what. I used to just use this amp on lower volumes but am now looking to experiment using it at a louder setting, like band type volumes.

MY typical settings are: Volume 8-9, Treble, 7, Bass 2, Middle 4, Presence2-4, EQ in a V only slight boosts and cuts nothing crazy here.

I plug my guitar straight into the amp and amp straight into the cab - no fx's at all.

Any tips or suggestions and users with a similar set up that can comment would be appreciated, thanks!
Mike

My buddy has a 50 cal + and used to run it through a Mesa 2x12 half back cab with EVM-12Ls and his set up was super punchy. It could kill small animals. :twisted:

Have you used the combo by itself? Does it still sound farty? You should be able to run your 50 cal combo at stage volume w/o issue. I used to run a Mark IV through a 3/4 tuned back 1x12 and that one speaker cut through the mix no problem.

I know there are a few Boogie Board members from your neck of the woods so they should be able to point you to an amp repair shop that knows Boogies.

Good luck.

Yeah, we'll they speaker in the combo is a V30 so it's really harsh sounding and the combo is an open back so there's pretty little bass, but the cab is closed back with G12T-75's completely different sounding, as it should. Both seem okay at low volumes and then doesn't maintain it's full punchy power type tone when cranked, tubes are new just some red STR440 - 6L6's, Mesa's...

I think either way it's not as punchy as it should be, it is a '91 so I'm sure by now it probably needs a little tune up for sure.

I have no issues with my 50+ at loud volumes. I am running it through either a single or sometimes a pair of Mesa 2x12 cabs with a mix of Celestions and EV's. Are you sure the selector switch is working on your cab and the speakers are wired correctly? It sounds as though you're bogging down due to incorrect speaker loads. Try it with that combo speaker but make sure that V30 is an 8 ohm speaker. Also I'd replace the V30 with an EV or C90! The V30 is horrible with this amp IMHO.

Latest posts

Back