4x12 to 2x12 or will I be sorry

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6L6C

Reaction score
Hey
I was thinking of going from a 4x12 rectifier cabinet loaded with vintage 30’s down to a 2x12 rectifier cabinet loaded with vintage 30’s, as you can guess the reasons (size, weight 105 lb, and stairs). Right now I have my Mark IV in a combo cabinet 1x12 and it does sound good but lately I have been really missing that cabinet sound and would like to return my Mark IV chassis back to its’ head only cabinet and start using a closed cabinet again.
I know it wont be the same sound but more where I want it to go. So my question is have any of you done this and have been really sorry later on?
Its one thing for me to go try a cabinet at a store than to have it at home that’s why I’m asking
Thanks
John

I used to have two 2x12 rectos, and went to a 4x12 recto. While I like the 4x12, the difference is negligible. I've been thinking about downsizing back to a horizontal 2x12 for a while. The only reason I haven't is that I'd lose money on the 4x12 (it's only a year old) and that I haven't had to move the 4x12 in the last six months or more (I'm not in a band at the moment). In any case, you probably won't feel much remorse if you downsize to a Recto 2x12. I'd also possibly look into getting casters installed on the horizontal model (the vertical 2x12 is a lot easier to move with casters and side-grips, but I liked the sound of the horizontal 2x12 much better).

I've also heard rumors that on a recent production run of Mesa cabs, whomever was doing the cabinet speakers for Mesa used an inferior speaker or something. While I believe Mesa has since corrected the problem, I'd want to verify that the 2x12 wouldn't be one of the "bad" batches, but I haven't researched how to determine this.

SeasonOfPain

Thanks allot, for your feedback I feel better talking to someone who has played both. I actually had no intention of selling the 4x12 although re-reading my post it came off that way, just wanted to make sure I wasn’t wasting my time with the 2x12 (just going to keep the 4x12 in storage)
I love the 4x12 I always though that I would never part with that cabinet, but after reading your post maybe I will sell the 4x12 in the future.

I've played the Recto Cabs 4x12, and 2x12 Vertical and Horizontal with my MarkIV Head.
The 4x12, you know it well since you've got one.
I've got a Recto 2x12 Horizontal and i have to say it's better sounding compared to the Vertical one IMHO, its sound is very close to the 4x12... sure it has less dispersion in sound, but he's got tons of lows if you play it to the floor... one of the best 2x12 i've ever played, and i think the one to choose between both 2x12 models.

Back