4x12 speaker changes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troskater2086

Reaction score
i play a mesa mark III through a 3/4 closed back mesa 4x12 w/ black shadow C90s.

i want to take out two of the C90s and put in either two Greenbacks or two Vintage 30s.

any recommendations and suggestions?

ev's are always a mark series staple.

g12-65's would also be good.

i hate vintage 30's, but alot of guys love them
i'd try them over green backs though just because mixing 90 and 25 watt speakers might not be a great idea.

i see. thank you for the tip. right now i play the one amp through 2 cabinets. the mesa 3/4 cab as well as a marshall 8x10 with very low wattage speakers. the tone sounds so good together, but it is not practical to travel with the marshall cab. it is to big for the van and a rare piece as well.

marshall 8x10? like an ampeg for bass? Lots o mids? Remember to get 8 ohms instead of 16 to match your other boogie speakers. You'll never be satisfied until you compare teh 75s and v30s, might as well get both and do your own shoot out. If you like the open back sound, maybe you'd like green backs better for that classic rock vibe.

the 8x10 is a 1970 so it is one of those old marshall 8 ohm cabs. i am making due with the black shadows for now, but i guess i will have to try some other speakers out. has anyone ever used warehouse speakers? i hear they are great clones of celestions.

not of fan of wherehouse speakers. Sounds like a blanket over em. Cardboard tone. IMO. no offense anyone.

I have two of the Veteran 30's in a Randall 2x12 cab, I think they sound good and am pleased with them, they are a little brighter than a real vintage 30.

I do think my mesa 2x12 recto cab with real vintage 30's sounds much better but FWIW both the cabs are different sizes and are not even close to the same $$$ point so it would be hard to do an acurate/fair comparison unless i replaced 1 vintage 30 with a veteran 30 in the mesa cab and A/B'd them with a recording.

JimAnsell said:
ev's are always a mark series staple.

g12-65's would also be good.

I've got MC-90s and G12-65s in my Half-back and love it. The 65s are sooooo smooth compared to the 90s it isn't funny. Probably not the best speakers if you want a super-agressive, modern tone, though.

Has anyone tried the Hellatone 60L from avatar yet? From what I uderstand its a pre-broken in celestion V-30 with the upper mids smoothed out. Sounds like the perfect speaker for modern stuff.

Will the EV or G12-75 fit in a Mesa 4X12 cab with V-30's.
I am not a big fan of the V30's by there self.

I have a 2x12 Soldano cab with 75w Eminence Legends speakers in it... sounds fuckin' great with my MKIV, better than my Recto 2x12. The cab is a bit bigger so it sounds bigger naturally, but the speakers have more clarity and the higher head room gives a bit more breathing room before the speakers start to grind, which is nice sometimes. Check 'em out.

Latest posts

Back