2x12 halfback vs. 2x12 halfback road ready

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panurg

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

i finally got hands on a used 2x12 halfback cab in the "road ready" version (assuming MC-90 and EV12L speakers mounted). Now i'm wondering if anyone of you noticed any difference in sound between the standard 2x12 and the road ready version. I only found one post in a different forum, saying that the version in the roadcase sounds a bit more brittle.
I'd be glad to hear more opinions.

Cheers,

Ingo

That's a really interesting question...and one I don't have an answer to! :D I play thru 2 HB 2x12s and have for 20+ years without issue or failure. But for the road-ready version to be more brittle? I'd have to A-B the two first hand, and then would find it hard to believe a big difference. The EV was changed from mine to another C90 a couple of years ago to specifically fight a brittle high end issue. It worked like a jem and sounds amazing, to me, in this new config. I do have the top half open on both (did your come with the board to close it?) which does deepen the top driver, IMO. If the added aluminum side rails and laminate were to impact the tonal response of the cabinet, I wouldn't think that it couldn't be tweaked out with EQ.

I doubt that was much help, but I am interested the real answer.

Hey,

the cab is completely closed on the backside, there's just the front plate that can be removed.
I'd also love to A-B the two cabs, but since the halfbacks are quite rare in Germany anyway, it's almost impossible.

Back