220V and Mesa amps in europe/Australia

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
enuenu said:
Thanks all, seems like plenty of people down here are scratching their heads as to why we are paying so much for Mesa gear. It doesn't really matter but my curiosity asks whether it is Mesa in USA putting the screws on or the Australian distributor. The bloke from Norway had a similar tale. Fair enough that Mesa has a business plan to maximize profit, that is of course their right and I have no qualms with that. It is not a charity after all.

The only thing I question is IF it is all about profit a more reasonable price here in Oz (and Norway) would see sales go up significantly I would guess, more than making up for the reduced margin. I for one would have just marched down to my local music store and slapped down the bucks for a new Recto without thinking if they were priced in a way that reflected the USA retail price + extras for duty and shipping.

It is a mystery why but this problem is not limited to Mesa gear. I am now looking into Mesa alternatives (sacriledge on this BB??, believe me I will still probably go with Mesa, a lifetime dream to own one). I checked out Randall's MT100 head as it comes with multi voltage capability in-built. Again, a heap cheaper in USA. So its just not Mesa gear. However Mesa gear is WAY worse with regard to this phenomenon. Check out Dave's Guitars, Wildwood Guitars or Willcutt Guitars. It is really just my curiosity that asks me why we are getting so badly stung. I'm not all pissed off at the world over this, I JUST NEED TO KNOW WHY!! (settle down). Maybe I should put up or shut up and start importing gear? How about an online shop set up for poor Aussies (& Norwegians) who want to shop in USA stores??? How about laying a guilt trip on the Mesa boss about how he owes us because of the amount of guitars and amps sold due to the existence of AC/DC? Smell the desperation!

I don't have a head yet so it is premature to order any conversion parts yet, but it is good idea to band together. Enough bullshit now, I will just cut the kids' Christmas budget and put them on rice and water for a while and slap down for a RECTO BEAST!

Amen! :lol:

I like the guilt trip idea!

Seriously, though, something must be done about this. Sure, I understand the 25% VAT, import taxes, transportation, etc., but it just doesn't add up. It's sick to take 200% profit on amp sales, and if the prices were at least a bit more reasonable, Mesa sales here would go up the roof. And it's not that no one buys Mesa gear in Australia, Norway, Europe, etc. Mesa/Boogie is a highly regarded company over here with a very good reputation. It's simply the fact that the prices are way too high for the average person to purchase this equipment. And sure, you can say it's done this way to have a balance in the different economies. BS! The average income per. person can't be three times as big as the average in the US. That's just sick.

People in the US are often complaining about how Mesa cabinets, etc. are way overpriced. Well, I have to pay $1,200 for a lousy 1x12" Thiele!

However, I'd also like to know who really sets the rules here. Does the money go to Mesa? Or is it the distributors that are profiteering like hell?

How about writing a huge letter to Mesa about this, and just ask? Just lay down the facts about the price differences vs. economy/income differences, etc. At least we should be able to get a decent response on this issue.

Octavarius said:
How about writing a huge letter to Mesa about this, and just ask? Just lay down the facts about the price differences vs. economy/income differences, etc. At least we should be able to get a decent response on this issue.
They actually have a post on their website explaining the price differences. So I guess they have already got a LOT of letters from guys pissed off :D

Mulemasta said:
I'll keep you up to date when he emails back. Probably going to be around $300 US + shipping. Dale Sherlock said he could supply a PT for me for a Mark IV at around $250, that was a few months ago though.

Dale is a great guy - wonder how much he'd charge to supply and fit a pt to recto?

I'm PROBABLY going to try and do a group order of Mercury Magnetics transformers to Australia. On another Australian board I suggested this and a couple of people said they were interested. We have made the 5+ tier, it's just whether we can get to the 10+. Only issue is that to do a mass order we will incur duties (anything over $1000 incurs duties), so it's tough to know whether it's worth it or not.

voodoo_child said:
Octavarius said:
They actually have a post on their website explaining the price differences. So I guess they have already got a LOT of letters from guys pissed off :D

Oh, really? Wasn't aware of that. :? Mind sharing a link? :)

Octavarius said:
http://www.mesaboogie.com/US/pricing/MesaPricing.htm

It just says the usual crap about tax and shipping etc.
But the fact that they put it up there shows that they've probably had plenty of emails asking why prices in other countries sucked so much :wink:

voodoo_child said:
Octavarius said:
http://www.mesaboogie.com/US/pricing/MesaPricing.htm

It just says the usual crap about tax and shipping etc.
But the fact that they put it up there shows that they've probably had plenty of emails asking why prices in other countries sucked so much :wink:

Taxes and shipping can't add up to 200% of the original price. No way. And that's basically what I wanted to ask about.. not why the prices suck. Well, kinda, but it's obvious why they are more expensive here, and I haven't got any problem with that, but I want to know why the difference is THAT big and who is in charge of setting it. Perhaps just enlighten them on the subject a bit. If you get what I mean. :)

They are not alone. I just ordered 2 TC Nova pedals from the US on EBay for AUS$230.00 ea plus shipping and they retail in Oz for around $450. Seems we get the shaft big time. I will be ordering most of my pedals from the US from now on especially while the Aus$ is so favorable.

enuenu said:
Found this new Dual Recto rig on eBay from a retailer for AUD$6,200 reduced from RRP of $8,000. Bargain.
You would get a Dual Recto head from the US second hand for around AUS$2000. Even if you had to buy the cab here you would save at least a grand I rekon.

crisis said:
They are not alone. I just ordered 2 TC Nova pedals from the US on EBay for AUS$230.00 ea plus shipping and they retail in Oz for around $450. Seems we get the shaft big time. I will be ordering most of my pedals from the US from now on especially while the Aus$ is so favorable.

In the last 3 yrs I've bought the following from the US and had them shipped to Australia

3 guitars - a Gretsch Jet, Gibson SG and an Epi Sheraton 2
8 different boutique pedals
Gibson Classic 57 PUP's
Sonar 6 and Ezdrummer recording software
various guitar parts - pots, screws, pick guards, tuners , graphtec saddles, etc etc

I've saved myself about $8,000 and not had a single shipping problem.
I never buy anything smallish here anymore. I just test out what I want here and buy it from the US on the net.

warped said:
He also said running the amps via a step down transformer may 'work', it's not operating the amp correctly as isolated step-down transformer don't ground the electrical device correctly. He mod's step-down transformers to ground back through the wall socket so the amp operates correctly as well.. Looking at $175 for the transformer + $150 for step down mods and amp bias checking/service.
Hmm, this is new. Care to elaborate on this? I had the ground from my amp connected to the chassis of the step down transformer. Is that what your tech did?

Can't help with the technical stuff but I thought there may have been more to the simple "just get a step down transformer" solution than meets the eye. Voodoo Amplification in NY USA can put in a nice new Mercury Magnetics transformer apparently. They will even provide a new Recto, do the mod and ship it. I'm just doing the total costings to see if worthwhile.

enuenu said:
Can't help with the technical stuff but I thought there may have been more to the simple "just get a step down transformer" solution than meets the eye. Voodoo Amplification in NY USA can put in a nice new Mercury Magnetics transformer apparently. They will even provide a new Recto, do the mod and ship it. I'm just doing the total costings to see if worthwhile.

I am not an electronics expert but I run a 500w step down transformer with no problems and have heard the same from a few others. Mine is electrically isolated and the earth is carried through the 240v plug to the 110v plug earth so I can’t see a problem in my limited knowledge. It also has a circuit breaker.
I have given the whole issue a bit of thought and I think that after having used it this way a few times I will stay with this solution. The amps are originally designed to run off 110v for what is worth and the step down transformer acts as a filter between the mains and the amp for a bit of protection. Also keeping it like this keeps it original as well and using the transformer is not that much of a big deal considering the other crap I have to set up anyway. Just my two bobs worth.

Anyone have any recommedations for step down transformer brands? I mean like heavy-duty, professional stuff.

I have used a US-Tremoverb in germany for a while. Had no problems. I asked Mesa what kind of step down converter I could use and it worked well.

MoeSzyslak28 said:
I have used a US-Tremoverb in germany for a while. Had no problems. I asked Mesa what kind of step down converter I could use and it worked well.

So what kind did they recommend? :D

Yes, 240V (unlike a huge number of Rectos in use in Australia). I wanted to avoid using a step-down. Extra gear to lug and some experts say that they can have a negative effect on sound and amp performance. If I didn't find a 240V here I was going to buy a 110V Recto off eBay in USA and have the seller ship it to Voodoo Aplification where a Mercury Magnetics 240V transformer would be fitted. I could also have had an aftermarket output tranny and other mods done at this time. That option was looking the goods for me until the 240V version popped up locally.

Latest posts

Back