220V and Mesa amps in europe/Australia

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. The "buy off USA eBay, freight it & buy a transformer" option is looking the goods. I wonder how many sales Pro Audio (Aust distributor)miss out on because of the pricing regime? Maybe Mesa have a production cap and that affects the international market. Why charge less when you have limited product and rich buyers?

I played the gamble that my roadster won't break down and recently bought it here in the UK as it was a fair bit cheaper than I could find in AUS, problem is when I move over in a few weeks the warranty will be invalid as mesa won't transfer to different countries.

I have pretty much decided to buy in USA and have it freighted to Australia. My dream of having a recto rig may come true yet. I have looked a little deeper and the price difference is astonishing. I wonder if as an alternative to buying an external transformer I could actually buy the part/s (240V transformer assembly and power input plug) from Mesa and have it installed in Australia to Mesa specs.

enuenu said:
I have pretty much decided to buy in USA and have it freighted to Australia. My dream of having a recto rig may come true yet. I have looked a little deeper and the price difference is astonishing. I wonder if as an alternative to buying an external transformer I could actually buy the part/s (240V transformer assembly and power input plug) from Mesa and have it installed in Australia to Mesa specs.

I also wonder if that's possible. It's a good solution anyway, thing is that I doubt Mesa would sell you that tranny while you're in the US, for obvious reasons (maybe, I don't know). So you may have to buy it in Australia, which means you'd have to find a good Mesa dealer to order one for you. Which is not always so easy in some countries. ( :wink: )

enuenu said:

I have heard Pro Audio Australia will sell the transformers. I suggest you contact them. If not you may be able to get one from Mercury Magnetics which I understand are great replacement. I intend to eventually go down one of those paths. In the mean time I am just enjoying playing it.

Apparently Pro Audio will do the transformer changeover for a minimum of AUD$700, probably would cost more than $700 they said. This makes it too expensive. External transformer can be had for around AUD$220.

I have found a Mark III in Europe that has the multi-voltage switch on the back. However I would have to get the plug changed so I can use it in Australia if I bought it. Can this be easily done and not affect the amp?

In Europe they use 230V 50 Hz but the seller seems to have the switch set to 220V for some reason. I will ask him why.
In Australia we use 240V 50 Hz
In USA you use 120V 60Hz

So it seems the amp can handle the 240V OK but what about the frequency difference? Does it matter that it would run on 50Hz rather than 60Hz?

The amp also has a "ground" switch on the back. What does this do and is it relevant to my situation?

enuenu said:
I have found a Mark III in Europe that has the multi-voltage switch on the back. However I would have to get the plug changed so I can use it in Australia if I bought it. Can this be easily done and not affect the amp?

In Europe they use 230V 50 Hz but the seller seems to have the switch set to 220V for some reason. I will ask him why.
In Australia we use 240V 50 Hz
In USA you use 120V 60Hz

So it seems the amp can handle the 240V OK but what about the frequency difference? Does it matter that it would run on 50Hz rather than 60Hz?

The amp also has a "ground" switch on the back. What does this do and is it relevant to my situation?

You simply buy a plug and insert the leads from the end of the power cable into it. No biggie. Just make sure you wire it correctly. You don't want the ground (green) to be placed on hot or cold, cause that would electrify the chassis, and you'd mostly suffer from severe shock as soon as you'd touch the power switch.

The amp can handle 10V difference. I ran my IIC+ on 220V at first too, and it didn't seem to make any difference. But just set it to the correct voltage and there won't be any problems. I don't think frequency is an issue, either.

The ground switch can lift the ground on the amp if you have a rack setup which uses a common ground and you need to eliminate a ground loop, etc. However, it's recommended to have it in the middle, at normal. Always make sure the amp is properly grounded.

enuenu said:
Apparently Pro Audio will do the transformer changeover for a minimum of AUD$700, probably would cost more than $700 they said. This makes it too expensive. External transformer can be had for around AUD$220.

The $700 is just Mesa shamelessly profiteering again.
Can't you buy a good quality transformer here in Oz from an electrical supply store and get a tech to fit it for 30% of that price. It would void the warranty no doubt but probably worth it if you buy a used amp.

Pro Audio (who are the Australian distributor) said they would have to import the part and its a big job etc etc and that $700+ was reasonable. I might be paranoid but the tone of voice of the person I spoke to at Pro Audio indicated to me that converting USA amps to Oz amps irrtates them a little.

It seems Mesa no longer offer the multi voltage switch as an option on any of their amps.
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=21208&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

enuenu said:
It seems Mesa no longer offer the multi voltage switch as an option on any of their amps.
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=21208&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Yeah, they've stopped doing that since like '91. :wink:

just to chip in...

Changing transformers is a pretty simple job for a decent tech. Taking the old one out, putting the new one in, change a few wires. It can be a hassle on some boogies (and other amps) because you might have to remove the PCB to get to the solder spots you need, but from memory most newer Boogies don't require this (I haven't looked at all of them though!).

I recommend mercury magnetics, you'll probably get a better transformer than the stock mesa one anyway! should set you back about $300 for the tranny, and another $100 or so for the install.

alistair said:
just to chip in...

Changing transformers is a pretty simple job for a decent tech. Taking the old one out, putting the new one in, change a few wires. It can be a hassle on some boogies (and other amps) because you might have to remove the PCB to get to the solder spots you need, but from memory most newer Boogies don't require this (I haven't looked at all of them though!).

I recommend mercury magnetics, you'll probably get a better transformer than the stock mesa one anyway! should set you back about $300 for the tranny, and another $100 or so for the install.

that's exactly what I'd be doing.
Stuff Mesa and Pro Audio.
Both a couple of A-holes IMHO.

Thanks a lot. Anyone know of someone that could do a job like Mercury Manetics in NSW Australia (prefer Sydney/Newcastle area)?

I just got a quote from a Melbourne amp tech of $500 to replace the input transformer on a Dual Recto and check bias settings on power tubes (which he said is important after changing the power transformer over).

He also said running the amps via a step down transformer may 'work', it's not operating the amp correctly as isolated step-down transformer don't ground the electrical device correctly. He mod's step-down transformers to ground back through the wall socket so the amp operates correctly as well.. Looking at $175 for the transformer + $150 for step down mods and amp bias checking/service.

Mesa won't issue a Mesa 240V transformer to AUS without a replacement part - to stop us importing them from US for less than half price and 'easily' replacing the transformer.

I am also thinking about getting a PT from Mercury Magnetics, and if you order 5+ you can get the discount directly, maybe we could work it something out if there are enough of us that can buy together... I'm in Sydney anyway, if that helps.

I'll keep you up to date when he emails back. Probably going to be around $300 US + shipping. Dale Sherlock said he could supply a PT for me for a Mark IV at around $250, that was a few months ago though.

Thanks all, seems like plenty of people down here are scratching their heads as to why we are paying so much for Mesa gear. It doesn't really matter but my curiosity asks whether it is Mesa in USA putting the screws on or the Australian distributor. The bloke from Norway had a similar tale. Fair enough that Mesa has a business plan to maximize profit, that is of course their right and I have no qualms with that. It is not a charity after all.

The only thing I question is IF it is all about profit a more reasonable price here in Oz (and Norway) would see sales go up significantly I would guess, more than making up for the reduced margin. I for one would have just marched down to my local music store and slapped down the bucks for a new Recto without thinking if they were priced in a way that reflected the USA retail price + extras for duty and shipping.

It is a mystery why but this problem is not limited to Mesa gear. I am now looking into Mesa alternatives (sacriledge on this BB??, believe me I will still probably go with Mesa, a lifetime dream to own one). I checked out Randall's MT100 head as it comes with multi voltage capability in-built. Again, a heap cheaper in USA. So its just not Mesa gear. However Mesa gear is WAY worse with regard to this phenomenon. Check out Dave's Guitars, Wildwood Guitars or Willcutt Guitars. It is really just my curiosity that asks me why we are getting so badly stung. I'm not all pissed off at the world over this, I JUST NEED TO KNOW WHY!! (settle down). Maybe I should put up or shut up and start importing gear? How about an online shop set up for poor Aussies (& Norwegians) who want to shop in USA stores??? How about laying a guilt trip on the Mesa boss about how he owes us because of the amount of guitars and amps sold due to the existence of AC/DC? Smell the desperation!

I don't have a head yet so it is premature to order any conversion parts yet, but it is good idea to band together. Enough bullshit now, I will just cut the kids' Christmas budget and put them on rice and water for a while and slap down for a RECTO BEAST!

Latest posts

Back