2 X 12 CAB for Mark IV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scarface

Reaction score
Greetings,

I’m looking for 2 x 12 cab suggestions for my Mark IV B short head. Right now I have 1 Mesa Thiele cab with a C90 and it sounds great but I have nothing to compare it to. I was planning on getting a Recto 2 x 12 but am also considering just getting another Thiele cab. Tons of other options I know. Was also thinking of a Bogner oversized
2 x 12. Both the Recto and Bogner have V30’s. Here are some things I have picked up in reading around.

- A good deal of people don’t like V30’s with a Mark IV
- The Thiele’s pair very well with Mark series amps

Would adding a Recto 2 x 12 give me more bass? Would it sound a little looser? That might be the last piece of the puzzle. Or is another Thiele a better choice? I’m assuming the Bogner would resemble the Recto cab as well.

Thanks!

What, tonally, are you looking for? What music styles do you play? I have a pair of old Boogie 2x12 half back cabs that came originally pacjed with C90's in the top and EV's in the bottom. Stock, they were a bit bright for me over the years, and have loaded a variety of speaker combinations, but recently I've gone back to the C90s. One cab has 2 C90s and the other has a Fender Jensen in the top and the EV in the bottom. After much tweaking and changing preamp tubes on my MkIII (there's the biggest difference!) this combo runs very well. Highs and mids are coming out great in the C90s and the Jensen/EV is very warm and bassey. I mic the top C90 with an SM57 and the results are stellar. I play mostly power blues and solid rock (think Greenday, 38 Special, Weezer, Blur, and Satriani mixed together) and I'm very happy with the results. If you're looking for a Hetfield IIC+ sound, this can do it, but the V30s do a much better job at it. Does this make sense?

If you like the C90 in that cab, then keep it and add another C90 in an open back 1x12 cab. That's not an expensive cab nor speaker. You've already found a sound you like, that's 80% of the work!

With the Mark IV I am playing hard rock. Lots of overdrive but maybe not as tight as Metallica or a Metal sound in general. Think Chevelle, Alice in Chains, King's X. Alice in Chains has that "grind" that I love. I also really dig Alter Bridge's tone which I know is all Recto. When I first got this Mark IV I liked it but was scratching my head on getting the sound I wanted. It sounded great but I wasn't there yet. Through much tweaking and new tubes (Mesa 6L6's and (5) pre-amp set from Doug's tubes made a huge difference) it got much better. Then I put my Fulltone Fulldrive in front of it and it is absolutely killing! I know that I want 2 x 12's so I'm just trying to decide. Add another Thiele or explore others options?

Again, this is the only cab I've tried so I am curious how a 2 x 12 will sound. Would a Recto 2 X 12 (V30's) sound looser, tighter, more bass, more open etc? More bass presence would make me happy! I have a lead on one that is mint for $350.

Thanks-

ive been comparing my recto 2x12 to a 1x12 thiele all day know..overall, the thiele has a much more balanced and slightly darker sound to me, and you can afford to run your treble on the GEQ higher than on the recto 2x12. recto is bright, but not in a bad way, with a midrange bite. all in all, i liked em both, but i think the thiele has a better overall sound, and i'd probably take two 1x12 thieles over a 2x12 recto.

Fronzil said:
ive been comparing my recto 2x12 to a 1x12 thiele all day know..overall, the thiele has a much more balanced and slightly darker sound to me, and you can afford to run your treble on the GEQ higher than on the recto 2x12. recto is bright, but not in a bad way, with a midrange bite. all in all, i liked em both, but i think the thiele has a better overall sound, and i'd probably take two 1x12 thieles over a 2x12 recto.
Same speakers in all?

Fronzil said:

Thanks for the info...that is helpful! I wish I could A/B them myself like you. Maybe I just have to buy a Recto 2 x 12 so I can :)

dodger916 said:
Fronzil said:
Same speakers in all?

Not the same speakers. The 1x12 is actually mine that Fronz has been A/Bing and it has an EVM-12L in it while the Recto 2x12 has V30s.

I just got one of the Recto vertical 2X12's last week to use with my MK IV head. Its loaded with Vintage 30's and doesn't work for me with the IV at all with the lead channel. Completely colors the IV's otherwise smooth lead tone and makes it very abrasive. That's to my ears though. I'm looking to get rid of the V30's ASAP for something with less nasally mids.

Hey,
Did you try just adding an open back 1x12 to your thiele? Or look for one of the old school 2x12 halfback cabs with the metal grille. They were made for mark series amps. If you want something newer, look for a road king2x12 or even a stiletto 2x12 which is open. But you may not like the vintage 30's in them

Scott

I recently picked up an used Recto 2x12 with V30's. Before getting it I was only running my Mark IV head into a Mesa Thiele 1x12 with a C90 in it (closed back). It sounded good but wanted some more beef. At first with the Recto I noticed and much bigger sound, more dynamic. Deep lows and a high end sizzle. Cab was so much louder than the Thiele and when I hooked the Thiele back up it sounded very small to me. The Recto's high end sizzle bothered me a little and I was curious to try the Thiele and Recto together. This sizzle might be what is bothering you on the lead channel. So I picked up another speaker cable and got to try them together at rehearsal last night. WOW...what a great combo! I have the 2x12 with the Thiele on top and then my Mark IV head. The combo of 2 V30's with a 1 C90 (ported cab) is pretty killer. It cancels out that sizzle I was talking about. They compliment each other very well!

You might want to swap those V30's out for 2 C90's or add a Thiele 1x12.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back