2 or 4x12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitardude05

Reaction score
for a mark iv? i have the combo now, but that has to go b/c i need a good metal setup. im looking at the recto and stiletto 2x12 cabs but would it be better to go for a 4x12 now instead of 2 - 2x12's down the road? also do you guys recommend the recto or the stiletto cab? im not sure if bigger is better in this case :lol:

It's a BIT off topic. But check out this guy's work. Best I've ever seen or heard:

http://www.earcandycabs.com

That said - a pair of EarCandy 212s (even a single EC 212!) will sound way better than any 412. But any 412 will be easier to cart around than any pair of 212s.

I've always been a believer in the 412 sound. Then I took the dive and bought one of these 212s and have never looked back. Check out their reviews on Harmony Central! Plus, he built my 212 to match my Dual Recto - diamond plate speaker baffle - taurus-ish tolex. Super sweet.

will a 2x12 get me a pretty powerful sound? i mean, i know its not going to be like a 4x12 but all i have right now is the combo so i think anything will be an improvement. but if a 4x12 will get me that much more of a massive sound then i might as well go for it.

guitardude05 said:
will a 2x12 get me a pretty powerful sound? i mean, i know its not going to be like a 4x12 but all i have right now is the combo so i think anything will be an improvement. but if a 4x12 will get me that much more of a massive sound then i might as well go for it.

Yes. The RIGHT 212 will. These cabs out-perform any 412 I've heard. And I've heard and played it all. I didn't believe it until I heard it. I scoffed and poo-pooed. But read the reviews:
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/EarCandy/Buzzbomb+212+Cabinet/10/1

In fact - the guy who makes Ear Candy refuses to make a 412. I asked him specifically if he'd do one - he said he's been offered all kinds of cash but the math just doesn't work out so he won't do it. So I trusted him - got the 212 - haven't missed my 412s. Not at all. My tone is much (MUCH) better. Sound guys and engineers LOVE me. And my back appreciates it, too!!!

And it's much louder and meaner than my 412s. They are now gone.

what speakers would you reccomend? i just want brutal and metal but beautiful tone. these ear candy cabs really do look good and are pretty inexpensive for all the customizing options!

Shoot earcandy an email. Tim - the owner and builder - will respond. Let him know the sound you're after and he'll get you what you need! He's a REALLY great guy!!! And a freaking speaker guru! I got the Sugar Cones. Best speaker that has ever been or will ever be. But expensive! Get one of these cabs before the world notices them and they double their prices!

I use a Recto 4x12 with mine and I love it. It kinda loosens up the sound of the Mk IV a bit more than the Traditional/Stiletto cab. A 4x12 is the way to go for def.

Latest posts

Back