2:90 with Triaxis an Recto Recording Pre

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UberBird

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm looking at putting together my first Mesa rig about 20 years after getting that first catalog. Anyhoo I know little of rack gear and I was wondering if the 2:90 be used with both units? Can they be used at the same time or is it a one or the other thing? This would be for recording direct and playing through cabs. I understand the Trixis is not supposed to record direct very well, so I was wondering if it could be used in conjunction with Recto Recording Pre.

Sorry for the stupid questions in advance. :)

Think of the 2:90 as two separate mono amplifiers. You can run one preamp into each at the same time in mono, or use a switcher to switch between either preamp into both amplifiers.

Thanks for clearing that up, much appreciated.

How do you like the combo of 2:90 and Triaxis? I've done a fair bit of reading on it and a friend had the recording pre for a while and loved it. I like the heavy stuff but Andy Summers also uses one so the versatility is there.

elvis said:
Think of the 2:90 as two separate mono amplifiers

+1

UberBird said:
I understand the Trixis is not supposed to record direct very well

No true, the recording out of the Triaxis works very well, of course the Recto Pre has been thinked mainly for direct recording purposes. You can also use a switcher (something like Voodoo Lab CGX, RJM Jizmo or similar) to switch between the 2 preamps and control the Recto channels and this way you can use it in both mono or stereo (depending if you need to have the Triaxis OR the Recto playing or the Triaxis AND the Recto playing).

UberBird said:
How do you like the combo of 2:90 and Triaxis?

The Triaxis's an amazing tone machine. You really have to tweak it, but it allows you to sculp your tone in endless ways and you'll be every day more thankfull for the program and midi capabilities (specially if you use FX units).

Thanks for the reply. So many options with these units. Running both for stereo effect would be pretty cool :D I'd been considering AxeFx but I've been keen on getting a Mesa setup for a long long time. I really like the Roadster but I'd like to go the rack route for this one.

Rack or head go with Mesa and you wont be disappointed.

UberBird said:
I really like the Roadster but I'd like to go the rack route for this one.

Remeber: the Triaxis's the sum of the Mark series (and an inch of Recto for some models) and it's very different from any Recto series head (as the Roadster is). Either the 2:90 has it's own timbric mainly shaped for the Triaxis (this don't means you've to use it with Triaxis only, but just it has a different voicing than the usual Recto power section). The Roadster's a pretty cool tweakable and versatile amp, it's just "another son of the same family". If you can try to play both amps (try to play all the amps you can), so you can better understand wich "tone direction" you like best.

i agree with bluestometal; the differences in the rectifier series and mark amps are huge. going "the mesa route" is never a bad thing, but be sure to get the head/rackunit that suits you.

Latest posts

Back