2:90 too powerful?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeeTed

Reaction score
Is it possible to remove some of the valves from a 2:90 to bring it down to 50watts per channel?
The 2:90 is just too loud (for the size of venue we play)and all the great valve tone seems to come from the Triaxis preamp. There is not a lot of power amp distortion as I need to keep the 2:90 at about 1/4 volume.
Our band have bought a better PA and we are starting to mic up the guitar cabinets and put it into the PA for a better mix. I love the flexibility of the 2:90 but may have to trade for a 20/20....is there any way to tame the 2:90 that will allow me to drive the power amp section harder?
I understand that the 1/2 drive function wont give me this.

Hello Weeted,

I am in the same boat as you, I really want the 2-90 but it's just too loud for me.

I believe the 1/2 power is suppose to reduce the volume to half power, but I have never heard one.

There must be guys hear who can answer your question.

I am seriously thinking 20/20, small portable, loud.

I play in a Duo, so we mic all the time, most venues have a noise limit, so what is the point of buying a really loud amp, and never turning it up ever.

Thanks,

Gezza

You cannot measure an amp's volume by its watts.
20/20 can be as loud as 2/90,it depends on speakers .
2/90 half mode will give you half power.
I don't know why do you think it wont cause it was made for doing that !!!!!!!!!!!!

I think he is wanting to push the tubes at a lower volume....you can do it with a 2:90 , you will need a hotplate.
Or something similar.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/THD-Hot-Plate-Attenuator?sku=481283

http://www.tubejuiceattenuators.com/

Hi guys,

Yeah sorry!!!

Using a loud tube amp and having the Volume on 1 or 1/2 the tubes would not be doing much for your tone.

You are best to start with an amp that you can push the tubes a bit.

For me the 20/20 seems like the sensible choice.

I know it's loud, but it should be easier to push the amp harder, to get that magic tone.

I really want a 2-90 but it would mean using a Power break, I have heard some alter your tone.

Thanks,

Gezza

18&Life said:
You cannot measure an amp's volume by its watts.
20/20 can be as loud as 2/90,it depends on speakers .
2/90 half mode will give you half power.
I don't know why do you think it wont cause it was made for doing that !!!!!!!!!!!!

The half drive function on the 2:90 does not lower the headroom on the amp. It works similar to lowering the volume.

The 20/20 is not as "loud" as the 2:90. The major difference is the 2:90 has more head room. Meaning when the output power of the 20/20 gets to it's max, the tubes will start distorting. On the 2:90, the tubes have way more head room, so they will push more current before they start distorting. The max output of the 2:90 is way more than that of the 20/20 so it'll push the speakers more efficiently. The result is it sounds louder. I read the thread where you asked what makes an amp louder, and some people gave you some very good answers. But you ignored what they had to say after you decided you knew the answer.

The Half/drive function of the amp doesn't lower the head room. The 2:90 is still capable of delivering it's full power. There is added negative feedback into the phase inverter that causes the perceived volume to be lower. Like turning a volume knob down.

You should be able to remove the tubes from the 2:90 and lower the headroom. The thing to remember is the power transformer expects a certain amount of current draw, which the tubes do. If you remove a pair of tubes, the power transformer may provide more voltage, and could possibly damage the amp. I don't know how possible that is on the 2:90, but it's something to be aware of.

Thanks Gezza and Edge of Darkness you are quite correct, what I am trying to do is do get more of the distortion from the power amp section of my rig without the massive increase in volume.
18 and Life Thanks you for your input regarding "loudness" and removing valves.
I want to keep the flexibility of the Triaxis but also have a power amp that can be driven really hard without having to fit power brakes.
Does anyone have experience of this? How do the 20/20 and Triaxis sound together (yeah I know that its in the opinion of the listener).
In the meantime I will try experimenting with 1/2 drive on every setting.
cheers
Weeted

If you remove a pair of power tubes, you would need to connect to the next lowest impedance on the amp. For example, with an 8 ohm cab, if you pull a pair of power tubes (should be the outside pair, inside pair, or an alternating set, but never the two on either side), you should connect it to the 4 ohm jack on the amp.

Also, why not just get a 2:Fifty?

msi said:
18&Life said:
I read the thread where you asked what makes an amp louder, and some people gave you some very good answers. But you ignored what they had to say after you decided you knew the answer..

are you crazy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????? :shock:
Based upon those answers I said you can measure an amp's volume by its watts.
According to those answers,20/20 with 2 4X12 cabs and 2.90 with 1 4X12,
20/20 will sound louder.Before those answers I thought watts told me how loud an amp is .
You should learn reading before saying something about somebody.
I completely agreed with those answers.
You are completely mad :lol:

Disassembled was really happy with his 20/20 and Triaxis.

The 20/20 is still hella loud. I run mine into stereo 1x12s (1xV30, 1xCL80) and with this setup my house is distorting long before the tubes. Unless your band rehearses pretty loud, this won't solve your problem. I can get tube breakup at a bearable (though still way loud) volume if I run one channel into my V30 cab.

Remember that if you *do* start driving the tubes in the 20/20, they are EL84s and have a different sound, it's a closer to the Fender Freakout than the Boogie Boom. Lots more cut but less bottom.

18&Life said:
msi said:
18&Life said:
I read the thread where you asked what makes an amp louder, and some people gave you some very good answers. But you ignored what they had to say after you decided you knew the answer..

are you crazy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????? :shock:
Based upon those answers I said you can measure an amp's volume by its watts.
According to those answers,20/20 with 2 4X12 cabs and 2.90 with 1 4X12,
20/20 will sound louder.Before those answers I thought watts told me how loud an amp is .
You should learn reading before saying something about somebody.
I completely agreed with those answers.
You are completely mad :lol:

My 295 into 2 4x12 will own both of them. :p

I sold my TA and 20/20 to Lennyx. He supposedly posted some clips.

I actually bought another TA and am currently looking for another 20/20 power amp. That setup is probably the most lightweight and versatile rig I can imagine.

I think this would be a near untouchable setup:

Triaxis
G-System
Mesa 20/20
(2) 112 Thiele cabs w/EV's

Greg

disassembled said:
I sold my TA and 20/20 to Lennyx. He supposedly posted some clips.

I actually bought another TA and am currently looking for another 20/20 power amp. That setup is probably the most lightweight and versatile rig I can imagine.

I think this would be a near untouchable setup:

Triaxis
G-System
Mesa 20/20
(2) 112 Thiele cabs w/EV's

Greg

I'd like to hear these clips. I'm considering going, TA - 20/20

Have you tried running a mixer between your Triaxis and 2:90. I currently do this with excellent results. I run both my Triaxis master out and the levels on my 2:90 at roughly 12:00 or 1/2 way. I then adjust the overall level with the mixer out in my DMC SM+. I'm running this in my home studio at very reasonable levels. I would imagine you could push the levels harder on the 2:90 in a live situation and get some nice break-up. I've tried the dual Hotplates with the 2:90 and they sounded pretty decent as well but I don't feel they are necessary when you can use a mixer to get the same results.

I run the Tri & 20/20 with a 4 by 4 recto cab, and with the tri output on 3 or 4 and the 2/20 on 11 oclock it takes my head off never played a gig with it past half!!! it's tone,TONE & TONE!!

Tried a 2:90 but it's too much, plus I dont need all the switching I find I can get all the 'colours' I need from the tri and the 20/20

Regards,, and remember tone it so subjective...................I want to sound like Eric Johnson..but if I dial that up...can't play it!!..got to go with what make you play beyond yourself and these babies do it...

If you want to 2:90 for it switching, but don't want the volume, you need the power attenuator...but they suck tone!! so try it all ...

Peace

srommes said:
Have you tried running a mixer between your Triaxis and 2:90. I currently do this with excellent results. I run both my Triaxis master out and the levels on my 2:90 at roughly 12:00 or 1/2 way. I then adjust the overall level with the mixer out in my DMC SM+. I'm running this in my home studio at very reasonable levels. I would imagine you could push the levels harder on the 2:90 in a live situation and get some nice break-up. I've tried the dual Hotplates with the 2:90 and they sounded pretty decent as well but I don't feel they are necessary when you can use a mixer to get the same results.

which mixer do you use?

Hi all.

I had a difficult choice also. 2-90, 20/20, I have a 50/50 Australian Made Valve amp.

As many of the gigs we have volume restrictions, now I would give anybody $100 to play at our volumes and try and get sustain/Feedback and do some guitar tricks. It really is an art, believe me.

I ended up buying a Mesa Satellite 60watt, For me it makes perfect sense.

I get a 60watt Watt very similar to the Mk3, I get the Black Shadow speaker, but best of all It's all in one speaker box.

I get this on Monday, so as sone as I crank it I will let you all know.

Gezza

Back