2:90 too powerful?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

My setup is this:
Gibson Les Paul Classic with Seymour Duncan JB Bridge Pickup
Triaxis
TC Electronics G-Force
Simu-class 2:90
4/12 Marshall top cab 1960A

Settings for dirt:
gain: 10
treble: 9-10
mid: 10
bass: 0 -3
lead drive : 3 - 4
master: 4.5 - 5.5
DV: 1
Mode: lead 2 yellow or lead 2 red
effects loop, deep and half drive engaged

post eq in G-Force:
100hz shelving at 12db slope gain = 12 for lead gain is: 3
250 hz bandwidth: 3 gain: 3 for lead gain is 4.5
4.3khz bandwidth .32 gain -6
12khz shelving at 12db slope gain = 3

I switched from running full power to running half drive about 3-4 years ago. First thing I notice about running halfdrive WAS a drastic volume change. Second I was able to get poweramp distortion at those lower levels, which I was not able to do so running full power without killing everyone in the path of the amp.

I would also say also that there is a little more natural tube compression in half drive as well. One of the things I don't like about it is that I had to boost my lows more in order to get my tone.

On the whole my guitar rig feels easier to play once I got used to the change. And controlled feedback happens easier now that I have converted to using half drive exclusively I can stand just about anywhere on stage and strike a note and it will ring until I stop it. I play clubs with my cover band on average of 2 times a month and very seldom have complaints about volume with my guitar rig.

i use to run a 20/20 my with triaxis.Sounded great.
Now i am using a 2:100,will never go back.i am running it about half
and its sounds amazing.

Is there any way to control the half drive option if you don't have a TA? I can access the modern mode just by plugging a cable in but doesn't work with the half drive function.

And is it me or does the 2:90 sound punchier, crunchier, fatter, etc without the modern mode activated. Seems to add some extra low end freq which probably isn't needed.

Can't you turn up the volume of the power amp while keeping the Triaxis volume down? It seems that would produce the desired effect.

rdomain said:
Is there any way to control the half drive option if you don't have a TA? I can access the modern mode just by plugging a cable in but doesn't work with the half drive function.

And is it me or does the 2:90 sound punchier, crunchier, fatter, etc without the modern mode activated. Seems to add some extra low end freq which probably isn't needed.

On my 2:90 I have a pushbutton switch installed in place of the jack because I just run halfdrive all the time - no need to switch it in and out. You could just create a shorting jack plug out of a 1/4" phone plug by soldering the ground to the center.

Modern boosts low lows and adds specific mid frequencies. I don't care for that on my leads but in some rythym patches it is nice. I like to have a little natural hair on my crunch tones but prefer my leads to be sqealy and liquid smooth.

Rob

You could just create a shorting jack plug out of a 1/4" phone plug by soldering the ground to the center.
Thanks for that. 8)

I'm just thinking; would a amp channel switching device be able to turn the modern mode on and off also or is that doing something different technically? ala Gmajor/FCB1010

Latest posts

Back