2:90 and two 1x12 cabs governor 75w/8ohm loaded : help !

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Lonerock

Reaction score
Do you think my pair of 1x12 Governor 75w/8ohm loaded will fit my 2:90 i'm waiting for (arriving soon)
I'm afraid of burning the output transformer if the load is not strong enough...

Regards
Chris

I'd be more worried about blowing the speakers before harming the output tranny. Output tranny failure is a moot concern. You should not crank the 2:90 through those speakers as the peaks in power will probably easily destroy their speakers. If you need 180 watts of power then you most likely will need more than 2 112s to propel your sound.

So just use the master volume on the 2:90 wisely and you won't have a problem.

Your load will be fine. The 2:90 can drive 8 OHMS but you'll only be able to use one channel of the power amp.

I agree, I'm no sure how much power the 2:90 puts out with an 8OHM load, but I assume it's pretty close to the max. power rating of your speaker, so you have to be careful. You should be fine at regular gigging volume (2:90 volume between 7-12 o'clock) , but I wouldn't go any higher than that. I've run my 2:90 with a 16OHM V30 speaker that is rated for 60W without incident.

P.S. if you run mono (use one side of the 2:90 power amp), you will get some "motorboating" unless you turn the unused channel's volume to zero and its "Presence" to its max. Mesa also recommends not sending any input to the unused channel.

Thanks for answering guys,

I don't plan to play loud with those speakers, I usually mike my cabs so I prefer wise volume.
So I just have to plug my two 8ohm cabs into the two 8ohms output, and never crank volume pot, that's right?!

I'm really looking forward to try this amp, bacause I was a bit desapointed with VHT 2/50/2, I actually use the Roadking power section with 6L6 for my CAE 3+se preamp, and it's pretty cool. but too heavy !

Hope that the deep and modern functions are cool features !

Regards
Chris

If you are only using 2 112's and don't need the power you could reduce the rack weight by going with a 20/20 power amp. 40 watts is enough for self monitoring.

Your load will be fine. The 2:90 can drive 8 OHMS but you'll only be able to use one channel of the power amp.

Oops. In my previous post, I didn't realize that you were using a "pair" of 8OHM speakers and will be running in stereo not mono. Regardless, uou'll be fine...just plug into the 8OHM jack on each side of the amp and enjoy. Just keep an eye on the volume.

I just wanted to clarify to make sure I didn't confuse you... :wink:

disassembled said:
If you are only using 2 112's and don't need the power you could reduce the rack weight by going with a 20/20 power amp. 40 watts is enough for self monitoring.

Well I'd really like to use a 20/20 but it's really not voiced as the 2:90 !
You can't bring the same sound with EL84 vs 6L6

Latest posts

Back