1981 MKII B

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcgdc5

Reaction score
I recently bought my original MKII B back off of the guy I sold it to. Great amp. Amazing tone. I have the non-EQ and non-reverb. Is it possible to add reverb and would it decrease the value of the amp? I mean I could always use an effect unit in the loop or a pedal but I was thinking of sending it back to Boogie to have reverb put in. Is it worth the effort??

i also have a '81 mark2b

tonemachine.jpg

i bought it without reverb, because back then, i was more into digital delay.

over time, i added digital reverb thru the fx loop, and unless i was driving the output section into serious saturation, the fx loop reverb sounded just great.

for recording, i run pure amp, and add all time effects post-mix.

so, the question is:
how hard do you plan on running the amp?
to use the FX loop, you can overdrive it if the levels are too hot....
but i've always had efx that had output and input level control, so it's never been hard to dial the levels in just perfect.

with using the loop only, you have the opportunity to use multiple efx units, with several different reverbs, including spring reverb, so you're not locked into just one reverb tone.

dcgdc5 said:
I recently bought my original MKII B back off of the guy I sold it to. Great amp. Amazing tone. I have the non-EQ and non-reverb. Is it possible to add reverb and would it decrease the value of the amp? I mean I could always use an effect unit in the loop or a pedal but I was thinking of sending it back to Boogie to have reverb put in. Is it worth the effort??

imho you should add the GEQ instead of the reverb. it will increase the amps value and like gonzo and you have stated already, is always easy to put a reverb in the loop. just my 0.02 8)

Thanks. I had a MKIIIC and I have a DC5...both w graphic EQ's. Personally I always thought they were kinda cheesy and always liked the amps better w/o the EQ in. Before ordering my MKII way back when I played one with the EQ and liked the way the amp sounded better with the EQ out. So, when the time came to order one I thought 'why waste the money' if I'm not gonna use it. Since then I see the appeal and understand how the EQ on board is like a Boogie tradition. Still, I'd rather have reverb. There are gigs when I can't bring my whole rig which is a Fuchs ODS w a Fuchs 2 x 12 cab. Outboard EFX rack with all my pedals in the rack controlled by an effect rack switching system. If I have to...a good amp with a little verb is all I need. So...
Does Boogie do this mod? I'm sure they do.

Yes, they can add the reverb but it is expensive.
They can also add the EQ (it is also expensive) but the problem is to find the proper face plate.

igfraso said:
Yes, they can add the reverb but it is expensive.
They can also add the EQ (it is also expensive) but the problem is to find the proper face plate.
wouldn't need a new faceplate for just reverb....I love reverb in my amps
see 'ya
Jim

personally, i just don't think the stock reverb is that stellar.

my digital reverbs (even the spring) actually sound better.

problem is, the reverb only sounds really sweet, if you've got tons of headroom on the amp (say, a 100 watter, with the master on 1.5)

the GEQ, on the other hand, i think is much more powerful an addition to the overall sound.

it allows very fine tweaks to mids, lows, or highs, that you just can't easily dial in with the knobs.

I have the solidwood wide head version with simul-class, EQ and reverb. Very very nice amp! I've got more compliments about my tone after I started using it. The lead channel is amazing how it reacts to guitar volume. I have it set to highgain and just by lowering the guitar volume it goes absolutely beautiful clean. The clean channel is great too but I haven't used it almost at all cause lead channel is so versatile. I personally wouldn't waste my money on the reverb. I don't think the reverb in my mkIIb is that good, I have it always on zero. But I don't usually use reverb and the mesas I've had (Mk2, Mk3, Mk4, rect-o-verb, F30, Subway rocket reverb, Studio pre) have had poor reverbs anyway atleast to my liking. I have a rack delay running through the fx loop and it does the trick for me. Like others have pointed out the graphic EQ is more usefull.

Latest posts

Back