Xpression or G Major II?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can share my own experience with the G-Major...
I bougth the unit based on all wonderfull reviews I read to complement my Single Rectifier.

I returned the unit 3 weeks later because it colored the tone too much. On the TC forums, some people answered saying that it may have been caused by an impedence mismatch between one/some components of my setup and the G-Major.

I have an Ibanez Prestige with DiMarzio pickups and a Single Rectifier with a serial converted loop.

I am not saying the G-Major is not good, I am just saying it didn't fit my setup very well even after hours of parameters tweaking.

Based the G-Major 1 and 2 manuals, both units have the exact same electrical caracteristics so I assume version 2 would behave probably the same on my setup.

So I switched to boss pedals (for FXLoop effects), and there is almost no tone coloration at all! At least not enough to be a problem in any way...

Go figure...

Monsta-Tone said:
I have a friend who has both an Xpression and an original G-Major.
He says that he likes the Xpression much better.

Which one do you guys think is better?
Why is it better?

Gmajor 1 or 2 are going to have better quality fx IMO, at least compared to the Xpression. I find TC products to be very natural sounding once you get your levels right. If its between those 2 i'd go gmajor.

BTW, what are you looking to get out of the unit as far as fx?

Mostly delays, but I really like chorus, flange, phase, etc.
Chances are, I won't be using any of the Verbs.

The EQ on the G-System was really cool. I could completely change the sound of the amp for every preset!
The DC has a great EQ, but it's a 'set it and forget it' type of deal is not programmable.

Solo Boost (yeah, I know it just releases and doesn't boost), and channel switching are nice too!

I thought about taking your advice and going with the TimeFactor, but then I would need a slew of other pedals and a lot of real estate to place them in.

How do you feel about the quality of FX in a processor, vs. the quality of FX from individual pedals?

You seem to be in the same predicament I am.

I'm torn between the G-major II and the line 6 m13 though.

I'm looking for modulations, delay, pitch shifting, and reverb.

The line 6 doesn't have much when it comes to pitch shifting and doesn't have channel switching for my preamp like the g-major does.

The line 6 has a boat load of effects and you can place them in any order but are limited to 4 at a time but that could be 4 delays or 4 chorus or a phasor, chorus, delay, and reverb, whatever you can think of. Also it's an all inclusive board/processor. With the G-major I would have to get a midi pedal.

I haven't had a chance to play on any of these though but I have a feeling that the g-major might have more professional sounds than the line 6 and I make that assumption based on absolutely nothing! lol :) I've also read that the line 6 has some realibility problems with the switches.

Good luck on your hunt and let us know what you come up with. It might help me finally make a decision.

I basically want it to be a fairly simple setup.
I don't want a Midi pedal and my amp's footswitch on the floor. Just one thing.
I don't want to have to tap dance when changing tones or adding FX.

I liked the G-Major, but always thought there was something better out there somewhere. Freaking GAS!!!!!

I had a G-System for a while, but it was just an over hyped G-Major with a few better FX and a great footswitch.
In the end though, I realized that the whole setup was basically what it was and was not upgradeable (of course I know about the software upgrades). I felt that if the footswitch broke, then the whole mess was trash.

I think I like the idea of a stand alone footswitch and a stand alone processor. This way, if I want to upgrade one or the other, it is simple to do.

I don't care about modelling or distortion tones, I feel that I can get any tone with my DC-10 and a programmable EQ in the Loop.

Yeah I agree. I don't care about the modeled distortions.

It sounds like the G-Major II would be best for you then. You could have a board to switch patches on the G-major which would then switch the channels on your amp so you could go from a chorus delay, clean sound to a heavy chugging sound with just a little reverb just by pushing one button or something like that.

I'd say for what your after, look into the nova system. Sounds very good and is simple to use... the only plus side to the gmajor or gmajor 2 is it could switch channels for you as well.

I had a Nova System for a few months.
It did sound really good, but I thought that the G Major was better.
One thing I really don't like is the fact that there is no hard bypass switch.

At least with the G Major, I can set a preset to bypass and not feel like I am losing a precious button.

Monsta-Tone said:
I had a Nova System for a few months.
It did sound really good, but I thought that the G Major was better.
One thing I really don't like is the fact that there is no hard bypass switch.

At least with the G Major, I can set a preset to bypass and not feel like I am losing a precious button.

Whatever you get make sure you take the time to get your levels balanced... thats the key to all digital units like the gmajor, eventides and axe-fx's. Honestly if $$$ isnt a problem the higher end units generally use better a/d converters which result in a much more pure tone. Those maybe overkill for what your looking for but they are worth the $$$. Also i wouldnt throw out the idea of a switching system like the rjm rg-16 and a few good pedals. You could mix some midi units like the eventide timefactor with some analog units and program everything like a multifx rack. Again just suggestion.... always good to keep your options open.

Hey thanks J,

Unfortunately, money is an issue these days. I'll most likely have to wait another month before choosing.
The band is on haitus for a few weeks anyway, so I'm not hurting for it yet.

It's funny. I program smart homes, but don't want anything complex for my rig.
I get so few precious moments of practice time that I don't want to spend them tweaking my tones.

I have the Xpression and like it just fine but have been considering the G Major II simply for the channel switching capabilities and software editor. Unless the G Major II has reliability issues I can't see not giving it a try.

I had a Rocktron Multivalve (basically an Xpression with channel switching and a tube) I did like it a lot. It sounded really nice and is easy to use, great unit. No complaints. I chose the Multivalve over the Xpression because of the channel switching option.

However, I decided to take a chance and upgrade to the G-major 2, I wanted something a little more current and was hoping that the effects would be better since my multivalve was at least 10 years old.

I have to say I am very pleased with my G-major 2, it sounds great and seams built very well. I do think the effects sound better/have a little more clarity.

Regarding the line 6 stuff and I do like their products (I have owned a Flex tone II, XTL, Pod XT, Pod Pro XT, DL4) I think its good stuff for the price but the effects do not have the clarity of either the Rocktron, Lexicon or TC stuff. I did hear the M13 that my friend bought and I was impressed with what I heard, it did seem like an improvement over the XTL effects.

I am happy with my choice of the G-major 2, it gives me all the options I need and works great for my needs. The channel switching is nice to have even though I am not using it since I bought a Voodoo Labs GCX switcher.

Latest posts

Back