• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toThe Boogie Board and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB DC-5 Combo *Updated with purchase review*

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a really early one (grey tolex) on ebay, but the guy wants way too much money for it. You might be able to offer him $500 or so.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-DC-Dual-Caliber-5-Electric-Guitar-Tube-Amp_W0QQitemZ230251324326QQihZ013QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

He says that the ground switch never came on the DC's. Mine is the LED version with metal switches (serial number around 2500 or so) and it has a ground switch.

The thing may have issues inside, but then again, I have had Mesa amps from this era with a sticker over the hole for the ground switch.

Maybe he can take some really good pics of the inside of the chassis for you.

Thanks. Yeah, that one kinda made me a tad skitish. Looking at some completed auctions on eBay, even the older DC-5s all have ground switches, but the manual on MB's website doesn't show one on the back panel diagram.

My DC5 combo also has the groundswitch. The one on eBay looks like it has been hacked.....I seriously doubt it came from the Mesa factory without a groundswitch. I too would pass on that one......good luck in your search!

Allmostawake said:
Here is a link over at Harmony Central that tells all about my amp. Thanks for your interest Bob.

[email protected]
[email protected]

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1982871

I eventually puchased the above amp but, unfortunately, I did not receive the same DC-5.

This is what I was shown and paid for:

mbdc5.jpg

And this is what I got:

DSC00059sm.jpg

Clearly not the same amp. Nevermind there's no dual footswitch or cover, either. Not a bad amp by any stretch, just not the one I thought I was getting.

Seller doesn't seem to understand why I'm upset. Claims he didn't have a camera, and he thought they were all the same except for the badging, so he simply pulled the image from the internet. I won't comment on what anybody might know, but it only took me about 5min to discover the differences in the DC series after deciding I wanted one. My main beef is that he didn't tell me that wasn't his amp.

And I paid a price, in my opinion, more inline with what the last revs are going for vs the earlier ones. Based on the pictures, I thought he deserved his price too, so I didn't haggle and paid up. Either we would've worked a deal on his amp, or I would've passed at his price.

I also had to call him for the tracking number after he didn't send it to me and ignored an email the next day requesting it.

Speaking of calling him, one positive was that he was very pleasant on the phone. Another was the amp came well packed and double boxed, and survived the trip from the Seattle, WA area just fine.

So the best I can say is deal with the above user (also known as RDH on HC boards) with caution.

The only major difference is that the footswitch for the EQ is on the back. There is an easy way to fix that.

Other than that, it does really suck that he misrepresented it.

Monsta-Tone said:
Other than that, it does really suck that he misrepresented it.

+1

Positives are that the one you got has the SUS4 suspension, which IMO is good. Also, yours is not the earliest version because it does not have the rocker switches. It's the next version that still retained the panel lights.

As Monsta says, he has a simple mod that brings the EQ switching to the front with the channel switching.

You deserved better treatment, Bob.

Yeah, don't get caught up in all the bullshit.

Somebody here posted that the earlier ones are no good. **** that.

Mine is the earliest model, with the footswitch mod that I mentioned earlier. I really prefer it, because I think every amp should have LED's telling you what channel you're on.

Plus, I've owned every DC model made. DC-2, DC-3 A&B, DC-5 A&B, & DC-10.

I actually prefer the sound of the DC-5 A. That's why I still own it and the DC-10. All the other ones are gone now.

At a certain point, you have to ignore what others say about your amp and just play it.

The greatest thing about the DC's is that if you don't like your tone, just change the tubes. They are extremely receptive to tube changes.

I would make him give me $100 back for false advertising and use it to buy some new tubes.

Latest posts

Back