Would you trade a mark iv for an orange AD-30? Thoughts?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Gregory

Reaction score
So I have been offered an orange ad30 as well as another peavey head and a cab for a mark iv but I am uncertain if I would want to do the trade. I can't tell if the orange is a good amp because all of the clips online sound terrible. Do any of you have any experience with the single channel ad30? Fair trade? Thanks!

I wouldnt do it. But for me personally, Im not into that brit/marshall tone. I almost bought a rocker 30 last year and tried out a bunch of orange amps. I came to the conclusion that they were just not for me. There is something about them that I cant put my finger on. They dont seem to be very popular.

And the AD30 (I only know the dual ch AD30) is completely different that your IV. The AD has EL84 tubes. Its not a high gain amp. Its will do thick classic rock tones very well. Think Zep and the Who. It wont do tight rock or metal tones.

+1 on what droptrd said.

I've got a Tiny Terror and it pretty much is a very simplified version of the AD30. I know it's not EXACTLY that, but it's the "Orange" flavor in a nutshell for $600 less when I feel like Omar tones are a must. I might add it keeps up volume wise very very well. It indeed is a terror.

I wouldn't ditch the Mesa hastily.

In my experience with Orange, you can get one tone per amp which is decent. But they're not versatile to anywhere near the level of the Mark.

I'd only get it if you play it first and really, really fall in love with the tone.

Nope...wouldn't do it. I like the sound of the Orange amps..and have thought of buying a tiny terror or another as a small portable amp. Still I could never and would never part with my Mark IV for it. I've played the AD 30..nice brit tones but it could never match up to my IV.

droptrd said:
I wouldnt do it. But for me personally, Im not into that brit/marshall tone. I almost bought a rocker 30 last year and tried out a bunch of orange amps. I came to the conclusion that they were just not for me. There is something about them that I cant put my finger on. They dont seem to be very popular.

And the AD30 (I only know the dual ch AD30) is completely different that your IV. The AD has EL84 tubes. Its not a high gain amp. Its will do thick classic rock tones very well. Think Zep and the Who. It wont do tight rock or metal tones.

Not to doubt what you are saying. But I have heard that these amps were the fastest selling and were pretty popular. Maybe I heard wrong or someone was trying to pump em up. I believe what you are saying though, every clip I can find shows people playing power chords with these things and the leads sound just all right.

I really want to sell my mark iv, but for the past 5 months I have failed. Everyone wants to trade something!! I have 40 offers and counting. I was asking $1200 but I guess that's too much. I thought it was fair though.

I already have a mark V and the iv serves little purpose now and I am considering trying out new amps, but I would take the cash in a heart beat. Thanks for the responses so far guys!

Ben Gregory said:
Not to doubt what you are saying. But I have heard that these amps were the fastest selling and were pretty popular. Maybe I heard wrong or someone was trying to pump em up. I believe what you are saying though, every clip I can find shows people playing power chords with these things and the leads sound just all right.

I had one for a couple years. It's a very cool amp with very little headroom. It's good for open rock crunch tones, but struggles if you want to do anything heavier due to the lack of headroom... it's just too distorted to chug with any clarity or firmness. It's a very loose, saggy amplifier and combined with it's limited headroom it gives up that out of control vibe really easily.

It's a very good amp for classic tones. It gives up the Zeppelin thing really easily. The first time I plugged into it the first thing that popped into my head was Jimmy Page... and about a month later I was shocked to see a picture of Jimmy Page with one in his rig. I guess he feels it doesn the Zep thing really well too.

When I was on the Orange forum the AD30 was indeed the most popular. At the time there was some I-sit-down-to-pee-indy-rock band that was using them, which upped the AD30s profile amongst that crowd. Omar Rodriguez was at about the height of his popularity and driving the AD140's profile up, although many of his fans saw the AD30 as a cheaper option. Lastly, there was the old guy rock dudes, who valued it for it's ability to give up rock tones so easily and at volumes that didn't get them fired from their pub gigs.

I eventually sold mine because I wanted a beefier amp. The AD30 was awesome at what it did, but I needed something that could go bigger and heavier without totally turning to mush on me.

screamingdaisy said:
Ben Gregory said:

I had one for a couple years. It's a very cool amp with very little headroom. It's good for open rock crunch tones, but struggles if you want to do anything heavier due to the lack of headroom... it's just too distorted to chug with any clarity or firmness. It's a very loose, saggy amplifier and combined with it's limited headroom it gives up that out of control vibe really easily.

It's a very good amp for classic tones. It gives up the Zeppelin thing really easily. The first time I plugged into it the first thing that popped into my head was Jimmy Page... and about a month later I was shocked to see a picture of Jimmy Page with one in his rig. I guess he feels it doesn the Zep thing really well too.

When I was on the Orange forum the AD30 was indeed the most popular. At the time there was some I-sit-down-to-pee-indy-rock band that was using them, which upped the AD30s profile amongst that crowd. Omar Rodriguez was at about the height of his popularity and driving the AD140's profile up, although many of his fans saw the AD30 as a cheaper option. Lastly, there was the old guy rock dudes, who valued it for it's ability to give up rock tones so easily and at volumes that didn't get them fired from their pub gigs.

I eventually sold mine because I wanted a beefier amp. The AD30 was awesome at what it did, but I needed something that could go bigger and heavier without totally turning to mush on me.

thanks for the reply! Perhaps all the ad30 needs is a screamer or another overdrive in front of it. Of course you probably have tried that. How did it sound? Thanks!

By the way, the one I may trade for is a single channel amp.

By the way, he also said that the head was handwired by Orange. I know nothing about the company but do they typically not hand build these things? Guess I am just used to MESA haha. Thanks!

Ben Gregory said:
thanks for the reply! Perhaps all the ad30 needs is a screamer or another overdrive in front of it. Of course you probably have tried that. How did it sound? Thanks!

By the way, the one I may trade for is a single channel amp.

If I were to buy one again, I'd try to get one of the single channel reverb versions.

The problem for me was that it didn't have enough headroom. The power section goes into overdrive really easily, which is cool, but at the volume I was using it at it was too overdriven.

I usually ran mine with the master volume on 10 and the gain on about 7 or 8. Boosting at that stage just pushed everything into mush.

Ben Gregory said:
By the way, he also said that the head was handwired by Orange. I know nothing about the company but do they typically not hand build these things? Guess I am just used to MESA haha. Thanks!

Orange has always been PCB.

AD30s are PCB. They don't even solder them... everything is push in spade connector type stuff.

Maybe those older single channel AD30s are different... I've never seen inside of them. I just know the twin channel models are PCB.

The AD50 on the other hand is a handwired custom shop model.

screamingdaisy said:
Ben Gregory said:

Orange has always been PCB.

AD30s are PCB. They don't even solder them... everything is push in spade connector type stuff.

Maybe those older single channel AD30s are different... I've never seen inside of them. I just know the twin channel models are PCB.

The AD50 on the other hand is a handwired custom shop model.

Thanks for the reply! He is going to send me a list of some other gear he wants to trade to sweeten the deal.

ok so he has offered the single channel ad30 and a peavey triple xxx head. It sounds fair at best, but I would honestly rather keep the iv. These amps sound cool but I think the lead channel on the iv is worth more to me than the tones out of these amps. However, If I could get these and sell them ( I figure that they may be easier to sell then the iv) then I would get them because money is what I want the most. So I would figure $500 for the Peavey and $950 for the ad30. What would you guys do? Thanks!

Personally I wouldn't.

The XXX isn't gonna get you $500. I remember I tried one and I couldn't unplug fast enough. Just my personal experience but yikes...the XXX wasn't for me.

The Orange...Why not just buy a Marshall and get it modded? That's basically all they are and I wouldn't trade a high end mesa for a single channel zep-machine, unless you're in a zeppelin cover band.

aww man...dont do it 8)

What other forums have you tried to sell your IV on?

Have you tried Rig Talk? HCAF? Ultimate Metal?

CL? Ebay?

droptrd said:
aww man...dont do it 8)

CL? Ebay?

I have posted it on this one because it is the only forum that I am a member of. I think I posted on harmony central months ago and could try again. I have been trying to sell it since summer and have posted it (CL) all over North Carolina and in Tennessee as far as Nashville. I am not a member of the other forums that you mentioned. I have had about 40 trade offers on the thing. Most of which were major downgrades from what I was selling. The best money offer I had was $1000 but I never heard back from that guy. He and others I have dealt with prefer mark iv combos for some reason. I definitely prefer cash, and I have been patient with the offers. I am in no desperate need of money though, I just would want a fair trade or cash offer. Thanks!

Ben Gregory said:
droptrd said:
aww man...dont do it 8)

CL? Ebay?

I have posted it on this one because it is the only forum that I am a member of. I think I posted on harmony central months ago and could try again. I have been trying to sell it since summer and have posted it (CL) all over North Carolina and in Tennessee as far as Nashville. I am not a member of the other forums that you mentioned. I have had about 40 trade offers on the thing. Most of which were major downgrades from what I was selling. The best money offer I had was $1000 but I never heard back from that guy. He and others I have dealt with prefer mark iv combos for some reason. I definitely prefer cash, and I have been patient with the offers. I am in no desperate need of money though, I just would want a fair trade or cash offer. Thanks!
For that price it should go fast on those forums. This one too. strange

For that price Id take it if I could

Put it on Rig Talk and HC. Theyre both cool forums. Well...HC is entertaining anyway.

Either way they both have thousands of members and he boards move fast. Much faster than here. Not that its a bad thing

Latest posts

Back