Would you get a noise gate in my situation?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4life SZ!

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I just ordered some road cases for my rig before we go on tour...pics to come soon. It'll be sexy

I wanted to ask who here bothers with a noise gate on their Boogie?

My Roadster, even with boosting, is pretty quiet. But, since we're going on tour, I'm debating whether it would be a good idea to add a noise gate to the rig. I don't know the stages, power situations, etc. that we will be dealing with, and I'm thinking of it as more of an insurance than anything.

So, would you take a noise gate to run outfront with you? In your opinion, will it benefit my situation, or is it a waste? I don't want it to hurt my tone drastically if it won't do me much good.

I was thinking to grab a Boss NS-2...seems to be a favorite with Boogies. Never been too crazy about the ISP decimator...

Thanks much for the help!

Eric
The Endless Endeavor

NEVER gig without a noise gate. There is nothing worse than when I go to a show and every time theres a break down or pause in the song, all you hear is humming or even worse, feedback.

I swear by my ISP Decimator. Its the only gate I have found that doesnt affect your sound in any way. Usually with others the high end gets sucked out a little. Hope this helps.

+1 on isp decimator.

it's great to have it there, when you need it.

i also use it to record with.

Have one just in case. soundcheck at show volume and fool around with it. I am NOT a fan at all of the NS-2. the relationship between noise suppression and tone disfigurement is directly proportional, kind of like opiates-the more pain it heals the more addictive and destructive it is.

yem said:
Have one just in case. soundcheck at show volume and fool around with it. I am NOT a fan at all of the NS-2. the relationship between noise suppression and tone disfigurement is directly proportional, kind of like opiates-the more pain it heals the more addictive and destructive it is.
Lmao! That's an interesting choice for a simile there, hopefully you don't have first hand knowledge of this :wink: . I love my Decimator, wish I had gone with the G-String instead though since the III's reverb is pre-effects loop :roll: , if the G-String would in fact help this. But it quiets things right up, however there is a slight change in tone that is actually beneficial to me, it seems to slightly remove some lower mids as well as low end muddiness. Both of these are welcome changes to me lol.

the very first pedal if your tuner isnt the first one and a trick i have learned is that if all your pedals that have a hum run those in the loop of ns-2 to quiet it

I also use a Boss NS-2 right after my tuner, and wouldn't gig without a noise gate

Probably not a bad thing to have, just in case. Another thing to consider is a good power conditioner. AC power varies all over the place and many old bars and clubs have terrible wiring. It's worth the money to invest in a really good quality power conditioner for not only noise reasons but for your safety as well. I'd get one of those cheap little plug-in outlet testers too, so you can be sure the outlets you plug into are properly grounded. Electricity bites hard, so be careful out there. Good luck on tour!

fluff191 said:
NEVER gig without a noise gate. There is nothing worse than when I go to a show and every time theres a break down or pause in the song, all you hear is humming or even worse, feedback.

I swear by my ISP Decimator. Its the only gate I have found that doesnt affect your sound in any way. Usually with others the high end gets sucked out a little. Hope this helps.

what he said. Decimator to the max.

Back