Would a Series Loop have less Negative effect on DR Tone?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogieslide

Reaction score
So as jbird pointed out to me in another thread, having the FX loop on does compromise tone a bit.
I do not need the FX loop to actually run effects in, but would like to have it on to utilize the solo feature. So I am wondering, if the loop is modified to series would it help any? Or is the same sacrifice going to be there?

I retubed the entire amp and it is sounding better. So far I also believe the w/the FX loop on there is less of a negative difference. Maybe do to a better tube in the FX positions?
It now has SED 6L6s, a Tung Sol in V1, and the rest are 9th gen Chinese.
Before it was all JJ minus a Mullard in V1.

Just a question for you...off topic, I'm sorry, but you're just the guy to help!

How did the JJ's compare to the tubes you have in it now? I'm debating between a full retube of JJs and the Tung Sol and SED setup from the tube store.....

What differences did you notice when swapping? Which did you prefer?

I am much prefering the new tubes....SED, Tung Sol, Chinese.
Overall the tone is smoother. The high end is not as harsh and the amp seems to have a bit better dynamics. Low end is also tighter and punchier.
To be fair though....I have no idea how old the JJs are/were as they were in the amp when I got it used a little over a month ago. I believe they were fairly new, but have no way to verify that.

Next I am going to compare how the amp sounds with this preamp setup and a set of Ruby EL34s. I was liking the EL34s with the old preamp setup the other day.

Latest posts

Back