would a 50/50 power amp be..

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turmoil

Reaction score
would one of the newer mesa 50/50 power amps be overkill for bedroom jamming?

i think it might be BUT 20/20's used are almost the same price as the 50/50 plus i haven't seen as many available for sale as the 50/50.

thoughts???

5 watts is almost loud enough for a drummer. SO, choosing bettween 20 or 50 watts won't be a particularly a huge difference.

I would choose the amp by power tube to complement the sound you're after since a 20/20 or 50/50 will both be loud as fook anyways!

cool.

thanks for the info leadfoot. i might go with the newer 50/50 because they can choose between the 6l6 and el34 bias.

To answer your original question, I think a 2:Fifty (or any 50 watt amp for that matter) is beyond overkill for a bedroom amp. I use my 50/50 to gig with and I wouldn't need to get it above 5 or 6 unless I want to push it into output distortion. Even with the low power mode kicked on (at 15 watts) it is still really loud. IMHO, if you are primarily looking to play this at practice, your best bet is the 20/20.

I have a 20/20 and it's overkill for bedroom jamming. What preamp are you running?

haha oops.

well, i scored a 50/50 in GREAT shape with pretty new tubes for $420 shipped.
i just couldn't pass it up for the price seeing as most 50/50's on ebay are going for at least 550 to 600 with shipping.

right now i have a behringer vamp-pro and a line6 podxt. they're not the best preamps in the world so i may upgrade them to something else but for now they'll get the job done.

thanks for the input though guys :)

leadfootdriver said:
5 watts is almost loud enough for a drummer. SO, choosing bettween 20 or 50 watts won't be a particularly a huge difference.

I would choose the amp by power tube to complement the sound you're after since a 20/20 or 50/50 will both be loud as fook anyways!

My little blackheart 3/5 watt combo actually is loud enough to jam with a full band (the other guitarist uses a 30 watt vox valvetronix and the bassist uses an SWR 2X10 combo). I've used it by itself, with an overdrive pedal and also just for fun but surprisingly good sounding, with my mesa studio preamp going into the amp for gobs o'gain.

It does bordeline needing to be mic'd.. I think if the drummer I play with at church were as agressive as the drummer in my real band, it would need to be mic'd.

Anyways, the 50/50 should be fine for the bedroom I think depending on the preamp you use. My mesa studio sounds outstanding at bedroom volume when going into my carvin 50/50 power amp. Of course, I just set the power amp channels at a very low volume and set the preamp to a comfortable level and run the power amp into a stereo earcandy buzzbomb cab. Sounds very good but obviously much better at louder volumes but the fact that I've got 50 watts on tap for each channel just means that if I need to be realy loud, I have that capablity....not that the 20/20 couldn't do this but the 50/50 would be tighter and offer more headroom if needed.

I think the 2:90 is where it gets into overkill territory unless you need gobs of headroom and volume in an environment where mic'ing isn't the best option or an availability.

turmoil said:
haha oops.

well, i scored a 50/50 in GREAT shape with pretty new tubes for $420 shipped.
i just couldn't pass it up for the price seeing as most 50/50's on ebay are going for at least 550 to 600 with shipping.

right now i have a behringer vamp-pro and a line6 podxt. they're not the best preamps in the world so i may upgrade them to something else but for now they'll get the job done.

thanks for the input though guys :)

Hey did this 50/50 come from louisiana by any chance?

i think it comes down to whether you want to run 6L6's or EL84's. the older 50:50's have a low-power switch.

Latest posts

Back