working mix: "First Tracks" - (MARK IIB 60w)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzo

Reaction score
https://app.box.com/s/j11yz2i30afd7szb0c9q

this is a song i've been working on for some time, it's kind of a happy fast-moving, grooving rock tune at first, then breaks down to a bluesy jam for the last half.

inspired by deep powder snow skiing, this song has been in my head for several years.

i recently repositioned all of my studio gear, sounds completely different in there now, and i've got a series of 4 new songs i am actively "RE-mixing" with the new acoustics in my room.
it's time for a new album. i've got a LOT of material.....
and a lot of new mix techniques i'm experimenting with, trying to simplify things quite a bit.

any comments are appreciated.

Cool tune and nice playing :D I like the tone you got out of the IIB. Great rhythm and lead sound. In some of your interludes I can hear 'Passion and Warfare" era Steve Vai.

Very well done! Very interesting vocal tracks I don't think I have ever heard that type of effect. I'm not shooting here I'm trying to explain what I hear cause it sounded cool. Sounded like the vocals were done a few times with tracks over each other? Is that right? Very nice guitar work. What are you using to record with or is it a program?

backstory on song:

not only is it about getting first tracks in the winter backcountry or off piste,
it was also the very first song i recorded after i finished my custom strat build:

USACG, vintage white, alder body, bill lawrence electronics, hipshot bridge,
custom nitro paint, gibson scale length, tiltback headstock, contoured heel,
pau ferro fretboard, graduated locking tuners, master vol-tone, some cool pieces/parts.

just an all around fantastic playing and feeling guitar.

snow strat
SNOW_STRAT2.jpg

Headstock front and tilt
2013_08_04_15_58_21_420.jpg

headstock back
machinehead.jpg

body shot
usacg_strat_vintage_white.jpg

cutaway
cutaway_small.jpg

jedi

thanks for listening!
and yea, it's fun hunting tones out of 2b,
i mean, on one level, it all sounds the same (sonic fingerprint)

but, there are so many variations in there, and the way it is stiff, or loose,
or touch sensitive, it all adds up to the way it FEELS while playing,
which in turn, makes you play a certain way.

i guess i set the thing up different, for every single track i do.
LOL
i have no 'set it and forget' settings,
which drives some people nuts.
LOL again....

OldTelecasterMan
appreciate the comments, tele....

answers to questions:
vocal tracks, they don't have any kinds of effect on them, other than a little reverb and echo...
i double track all my vocals, and then mix them in and out as i want to beef them up or not...
the lead vox, it's the main vocal panned center,
then the 2nd track is panned a little left or right (i change it in different parts of the song)
and mixed below the level of the main vocal level......

capture method:
i use a PC running Sonar 6 Producer edition.
it has a Maudio Delta Audiophile 192 sound card, that is what all my inputs go into.
i use the Sonar (DAW) as an old-school 'tape machine'.
i also do some deep editing sometimes, i'll do tricky things like take a cymbal hit, reverse it, move it to line up with the original,
stuff like that...
but for the most part, i hit the "RECORD" button, and play.
and then mix it all.

all guitars are either miced up cabs, or direct via a Palmer PDI-09.
bass is typically sansamp bass di, split to the boogie.
mics are ADK Hamburg, Shure KSM44, Shure SM57, Audio tecnica AT4033
drums are either Sony Acid, Superior Drummer, or live drums.

here's a shot of my guitar rig:
rig_full.jpg

I was just having a discussion about constantly changing settings. I'm the same way. Each song dictates it's own guitar sound. If I'm recording a compilation or EP, I'll try to keep something similar to maintain cohesion in the tracks.

I do have a few "starting settings" just to get a vibe, but I like to have drums, bass, and keys done before committing guitar. Then I start tailoring the guitar tones.

I've even let some of my non-guitar playing friends tell me when they like a sound. Usually it works out, but sometimes I get the chainsaw-blender-weed wacker sound :lol:

I'll definitely listen to any other tunes you have with the IIB. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back