WOOFY SOUND. HELP!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah sorry about not posting the settings still. work has just been busy as hell and haven't had a chance to do it. in my opinion, how i have it eq'd isn't the problem, as i've tweaked with it for hours on end. if i pull the bass back too much, then i can't get the hard hitting bottom end that i need. my gain is usually around 1-2 o'clock. i still think that new tubes and a traditional cab may help out quite a bit. that standard cab that i have is just too woofy sounding on the bottom end stuff....not like the traditionals.

MiSeRY said:
yeah sorry about not posting the settings still. work has just been busy as hell and haven't had a chance to do it. in my opinion, how i have it eq'd isn't the problem, as i've tweaked with it for hours on end. if i pull the bass back too much, then i can't get the hard hitting bottom end that i need. my gain is usually around 1-2 o'clock. i still think that new tubes and a traditional cab may help out quite a bit. that standard cab that i have is just too woofy sounding on the bottom end stuff....not like the traditionals.

A recto that isn't EQ'ed properly will sound like absolute crap.. I've had mine for 2 years almost 3 now and I'm still finding this out. I'm not saying you're not doing it right but it's worth looking into before you start spending money. :idea:

Platypus said:
MiSeRY said:

A recto that isn't EQ'ed properly will sound like absolute crap.. I've had mine for 2 years almost 3 now and I'm still finding this out. I'm not saying you're not doing it right but it's worth looking into before you start spending money. :idea:

i'll try my best to post up my settings tonight after work. i know the recto can be a difficult beast to master from an eq standpoint. there is always a possibility that i haven't eq'd properly. i just feel like i've tried every eq setting imaginable and still get the same result.

has anyone heard of Wing C tubes? Two stores in my area where arguing that Wing C is much tighter of a sound than the JJ's. Any truth to this?

RoCk4souls said:
I'm willing to bet the EMG 85 is the culprit. I had the same problem when I switched the pups around in my mahogany LTD. Try an 81 if you can.

I disagree i run an 89(a dual mode pickup...85 or sa)in my hamer californianand i get a nice tight crunch(it has a mahogony body........however GIBSON shaped guitars like the sg and les pual will reproduce bass freqencies as low as 40-60hz and maybe part of the problem...maybe 85's don't work in these guitars......i've always preferred superstrats(think Ibenez,Jackson,etc...) for the tighter more defined crunch and less muddy low end character.

MiSeRY said:
has anyone heard of Wing C tubes? Two stores in my area where arguing that Wing C is much tighter of a sound than the JJ's. Any truth to this?

Probably speaking about SED Winged C tubes.. people seem to like them but I don't neccessarily see them being tighter than JJ's 6L6.. just different tone.

Latest posts

Back