Will this work and should I ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cremona

Reaction score
My c+ has a deep sentimental value to me, so i wanna keep it, she is a beauty all black dress up and looks like a 3 year old amp and have the poential i need, now with in a week i will have collected the full factory sylvania tube set and tungrsram/rft ecc83`s, but no matter have hard i fight it i feel like i will not ever be truely satisfied before i have tried to have owned one had the 105 power tranny that made a insane amouth of plate current , yeah i know it shouldent matter but im a perfectionist and my hobby among many are to collet and enjoy some of the best sounding music creations , and i need to be sure im not missing out .

So i came up with this idea , what about buying a mk3 black dote that cost 8oo/1000 usd and when im at it make the repair guy (hopefully the man himself gets the full power cap and over all maintence job , that would give me a fully loaded factory stock c+, wich means like a org DRG, but il know the whole story and i intend to kepp it until im inrestrited to doing further damged to the people at the nursing room age 90.

But can it be done? :shock: and would there be eny diffs from a factory stock drg+ ? , mine is a 121+ model org DRG C model but have a 100 pt

Thanks

I couldn't comment on the sound, and of course that may be the most important criteria to you. But to analogize, a vintage automobile cobbled together from parts of ten different cars won't have the value of a complete original. Modifying anything old and valuable diminishes its intrinsic value.

MrMarkIII said:
I couldn't comment on the sound, and of course that may be the most important criteria to you. But to analogize, a vintage automobile cobbled together from parts of ten different cars won't have the value of a complete original. Modifying anything old and valuable diminishes its intrinsic value.

This is also what my logic tells me, but a amp like that have been my dream for 22 years now and im so close , i wanted a amp with the same specs as the one james hetfield fell in love with , i know now that the metallica thing now is the biggest misunderstanding there is, i like alice in chains alot and jerrys sound, the c+ with some more eq middel and amp middel on 4/5 that gives a totally different amp and just as mindblowing ,( all going through a well runned in marshall vintage bv 1960)

But i dont give really care that much about price concerning somthing im deeply passionat about period plan A still was to put 7500 usd on the table for a fatory org long head simul IIc+

But is that actually a better idea ?

If you are concerned about sounding as much like the original intent, I would start looking for some MS-12 or EVM speakers. They will make more of a difference than the transformer. I have played mine and one with the export X101 side by side. There is a difference in headroom, but it is not that drastic. Sometimes I would prefer the smoother attack of the 100 or X101, other times not. You might consider a bias pot mod to experiment with the bias voltages that the export models have. If I ever pick up a C+ with the 100 PT, that will be on top of my "to do" list. 8)

I own a C+ with a 100 and a C+ with a 105 and honestly in my opinion I would leave yours alone. There is a difference but it's ultimately not that drastic in my mind. I prefer them for different applications. If I were you I would seek out a DRG with a 105 to compare them if you can. I know all about tone chasing and trying to get specs but even two identical DRG's will sound slightly different... you would likely be better off just buying a second C+ in my opinion so you don't have to make any sacrifices.

JOEY B. said:
If you are concerned about sounding as much like the original intent, I would start looking for some MS-12 or EVM speakers. They will make more of a difference than the transformer. I have played mine and one with the export X101 side by side. There is a difference in headroom, but it is not that drastic. Sometimes I would prefer the smoother attack of the 100 or X101, other times not. You might consider a bias pot mod to experiment with the bias voltages that the export models have. If I ever pick up a C+ with the 100 PT, that will be on top of my "to do" list. 8)

A 100 pt might possibly be for sale soon :wink: . but seriously this is what it all boils down to, what will be best, for two 4x12 speakers playing agressiv heavy guitars ?

Take in to account that my settings of choice are based apon variations of the ones james used middel on 5, treble 7 , bass 1.75, drive on 6 lead master on 3 master on 4/5 , presence 2, did i forget somthing ? ar all pulled, i do somthing imagin a littel more bright nature of a amp and maybe a bit faster but mine diffentlly nails the metalllica stuff all ready.

sounds like the mesa doctor orderd new 105 trannny as cure, i want more 4x12 haul , and im not fuking around :twisted: :D :D :D :D :D

Platypus said:
I own a C+ with a 100 and a C+ with a 105 and honestly in my opinion I would leave yours alone. There is a difference but it's ultimately not that drastic in my mind. I prefer them for different applications. If I were you I would seek out a DRG with a 105 to compare them if you can. I know all about tone chasing and trying to get specs but even two identical DRG's will sound slightly different... you would likely be better off just buying a second C+ in my opinion so you don't have to make any sacrifices.

What settings do you chose for the comparison if not it would be helpful if you tried thise out http://www.fwrproduction.com/FWR_Produktion/Notes_2.html#1

Ps amp is a factory c+ long head with the presence tap on the front, its the 105 tranny stock version i beleive and its simul class.

thanks ps you can ofcause lower the vol a littel :wink:

cremona said:
Platypus said:

What settings do you chose for the comparison if not it would be helpful if you tried thise out http://www.fwrproduction.com/FWR_Produktion/Notes_2.html#1

Ps amp is a factory c+ long head with the presence tap on the front, its the 105 tranny stock version i beleive and its simul class.

I'll try to post my settings later, don't remember where they're dialed currently.

Ironically, I find that my C+ with the 100 tranny sounds way more metal and 'Metallica-esque' than my 105 does. Just more food for thought :)

Platypus said:
cremona said:
Platypus said:

I'll try to post my settings later, don't remember where they're dialed currently.

Ironically, I find that my C+ with the 100 tranny sounds way more metal and 'Metallica-esque' than my 105 does. Just more food for thought :)

Thats probeerly the most interresting comment i have heard all week and my week have been goooood. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
mine do haul and growl like i dreamed it would, it is simply no comparison with the quad/295 simul combo, and that sound freaking amazing. maybe i shuld just finish over with the new sylvania tubes and have the power cap job done , its stock and its 27 years old, that would proberly cause miricals :wink:
But things are going better now finansialy and within a forseen future you shouldent be suprised if i put up a wanted for a fullly loaded + long head and my maximun was 8000 usd,

The intrinsic value of what you hear on a record or a CD also, is not necissarily what was heard live either too.

I am discovering that head over heels as my band is finishing our album. I have fought and fought with my producer trying to get him to try and reproduce my live Mesa sound on our album and it thins out in the midrange with the Mark series once properly EQ'd. Translating Mesa frequencies to record is harder than i'd assumed - just food for thought. I'd say don't try and trick your ears, stick to what sounds best :)

If it looks, smells, and sounds like Metallica - it is Metallica.

SonicProvocateur said:
The intrinsic value of what you hear on a record or a CD also, is not necissarily what was heard live either too.

I am discovering that head over heels as my band is finishing our album. I have fought and fought with my producer trying to get him to try and reproduce my live Mesa sound on our album and it thins out in the midrange with the Mark series once properly EQ'd. Translating Mesa frequencies to record is harder than i'd assumed - just food for thought. I'd say don't try and trick your ears, stick to what sounds best :)

If it looks, smells, and sounds like Metallica - it is Metallica.

Excelent post thanks

Im NOT after copying metallicas sound,looks or music but i do like 4x12`s with v30´S with the c+ with metallica like settings , it seems to bring out a unik and growling lower midrange/upper bass that sounds so godly with rythem guitars.

I do hear that growl all over the and justice album from metallica, but honestly i actually thing my amp as it is dos this trick as good or better.

I offen hear people that havent ever heard a c+ with a vintage 30 4x12 say that unikness comes from recording techniqes, but that is just completly wrong, the where just really good at harvesting that sound and managed to get a good chunk of it through on the recording, most amps can bring out the tone and crunch , but i have heard no other amp then a c+ producing that hollow growl.

This it what it come down to for me.
Like If i where a admirer and serious entusiast of a surthen car, but the car came with 3 different motor configurations,all producing the same sourght of numbers but different ways of delevering it. I simply wanna find out wich one is best for me, not wheter the car is the right for me, because it is.
I cant stress enourg that this is not because my amp aint producing what i want it to, its just because i happen to find the c+ a special amp, a amp that to me is every bit as unik and esoteric as a Stratevarious violin, wich means i feel no wrong trying out the much talked about 105 tranny, im everybit aware that there is proberly 50% chance that i wanna put the orginal 100 pt back in there.

But ither way it would stop my wondering, and since my amp is a keeper unless somone offers me a price that is so great that i could buy a long head c+ , i dont ever wanna sell it .
The donner mk3 ,i would end up with having ither the 105 or 100pt would be worth more here in denmark then what i payed for it in US.

My questian was proberly mostly a technical questian if it could be done , and not as much if i should.

Just found a mark 3 none strip fully loaded with a 105 pt.

It seems that no one knows or cares to give me a answer wheter it can be done, so il ask one last time.

Can you change trannys fairly easy, or is there also many smaller components that needs changing ?

I pretty sure that there is no probs with the C+ but will the 100 pt work in the mark 3 ?.

I realise that in order for this conversion to be succesfull, the mark 3 needs to work with the 100 pt so i can use it of sell it .

Enyone with knowledge that could give me a simple answer for my questian ?

thanks

Latest posts

Back