which 2 2x12 should I try?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetalDude

Reaction score
I have a mesa 100w dual rectifier and a 2 x12 horizontal mesa rectifier cabinet with v30s. I miss the air push of a 4x12 and am thinking about getting another 2x12. I dont wanna lug a 4x12 Any suggestions of cabs that could compliment this? I l play mostly my own form of old school thrash/ black / death / doom metal. Im going to check out a mesa half back 2x12 with black shadow c 90 speakers later today

I think you're on the right track. Something with different speakers and/or construction-style/size.

My avatar 212 sig-cab w/K100's sounds amazing paired with the recto-212, just make sure that whatever you choose has the same 8ohm load as the mesa so they'll run at an even match together and sound their best. (so that's two 16ohm speakers wired for an 8ohm total).

C90's would be great IMO paired with the V30's, although I don't think you'd really "hear" the C90's they would add a lot to the "edges" (top and bottom).

I'm not sure what ohms the halfbacks are, but i was thinking they're not 8ohms, or maybe I'm thinking of the 412 halfbacks that are maybe 16/4ohm mono...(?)

The horizontal rectifier 2x12 I currently have (from 2000) is 2x 16 ohm speakers in parallel for 8 ohms

I discovered the cab I looked at is known as the Mesa 2x12 Three-Quarter Back Guitar Cabinet (discontinued) which is also 2x 16 ohm speakers in parallel for 8 ohms

I brought my own equipment when I checked out the three quarter back cab, since I was on the way to practice anyway.

After playing around with them for about an hour (poor craigslist guy lol) I decided to take it. They seem to go well together'

Plus a super great price had a lot to do with it too :)

I figure I can always turn around and resell if I want something else at a later time.

Back