will someone please report on how the rk2 sound

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Matt, I'm planning on buying a Road King II in the near future but I just want something clairified. The problem that I've had in the past with the 3 Channel Rectos was the popping when switching channels. So the popping is gone now in the RKII? If that's the case, that's the best news I've heard all day!

+Mike+

Phantom, my amp doesn't pop at all, but everytime I start up my King I dance first :D

On standby and when I turn the amp on (levels low), I go through all the buttons on the Kontroler. 95% of the time no pops, well I get one sometimes but it very rare. However other Road King II owners have poping, some really bad. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

As I said in my formal review of the RK II, it was so good that I replaced my Triaxis rig!

http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitars/2006/0906_MesaBoogieRoadKing.php

After reading this .. I just took my Roadster through the gammit of ZAKK WYLDE style pinch harmonics .. Both high channels worked fine ..

I think its more technique than a amp setting. I can do them on my acoustic?

sevenstrings7 said:
i heard from someone that the road king has more gain than the triple. is it true?

I wouldn't say that that RK has more gain than the triple, but it probably sounds that way because the RK can run 4x6L6+2xEL34 while the triple is running 6x6L6. The addition of the EL34's to the 6L6's in the RK adds a more "urgent and brash" high-end to the silky crunch of the 6L6's, giving the illusion of more gain.

In reality, I have no clue if Mesa built the RK with more gain than the Triple, so the above statement is just one possible explaination.

I can dial in the meanest sounding distortion that I've ever heard with my RK. Sometimes, it sounds so mean that it scares the **** out of me and makes grown men cry for their mommies.

MetalMatt said:
I can't seem to get any harmonics out of this thing!!!

F*****g right! That's exactly what i was thinking about. Everything else is very well explained, you got ear! Thanks for your detailed description. :wink:

xscottx9 said:
After reading this .. I just took my Roadster through the gammit of ZAKK WYLDE style pinch harmonics .. Both high channels worked fine.

I think its more technique than a amp setting. I can do them on my acoustic?

Funny, I can get all sorts wicked harmonics out of all my soild state CRAP with no effort, with all my guitars and my acoustic?!
I can get harmonics out of the RK but I really really have to work at it! And thats with a overdrive infront, just imagin without one HA!
Natural harmonic stand out alot on the RK. I never could get them as well on my SS stuff...weird.

soundpurist said:
F*****g right! That's exactly what i was thinking about. Everything else is very well explained, you got ear! Thanks for your detailed description. :wink:

You having the same problem huh? and thanks for the kind words...

Back