Will Mark V Drive Down the prices of Mark I, II, III and IV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdog

Reaction score
Does anyone think the new Mark V will have an impact on the market for older Mark series amps?
I believe that no matter how good the mark V sounds, that the Mark IIC+ will always be sought after and thus
remain expensive to buy. A local guitar shop owner in NH seems to think that the Mark V will create less demand for Mark I, II, III and IV and thus the prices of those amps will decline. opinions?

I could see where if the Mk V is so expensive, that it could actually increase the value of the used Mk I, II, III market.

Time will tell.

Consider this: the Mark IV didn't hurt the C+ market. In fact, it might have helped it.

Pure speculation here: the Mark V may deliver a close replica to the C+ sound, but I question whether it will be able to deliver its heart and soul. Similarly, many people believe the tube reissues don't compare to NOS tubes.

I really dont think that will happend. First i dont that the C+ of the Mark V is gonna get near close of the original, i think the market will keep like it is now, but like everyone says time will tell.

Btw what shop in NH?

I wanna know too :D

maybe?

the II c+ mode, even if its get the one tone that most want... wont cover what the rest of that amp does.. plus the originals are in limited quantity so they'll probably retain value... unless no one buys (but that could be economy too)

the III has a low value, but isnt replicated in this amp and probalby wont change

there are so many IVs out there, that they will drop in value, from the almost new prices for used ones to a more reasonable range... maybe 800-1500 (based on what i read here the IV's main draw was the lead channel, and that was duplicated in this amp, plus they made a better channel one and two, which most complain about on the IV)

and the Mark I.. i havent a clue... are they a big market now? I for one would like the mark I mode in the V, but would never choose to buy a Mark I... I would possilby by a IIC+ though (if that wouldnt cost me more that the Down Jones is worth now)

I don't think it will drive prices down too much. I think if people want a mark II, they want a mark II. There's a segment of mesa fans who will probably buy the mark v simply because it's the new mesa, and that's not necessarily the same segment who are buying up the older marks.

Time will tell, but I don't see the Mark V affecting anything aside from the Mark IV, which may hit eBay in mass quantities as everyone "upgrades" to the new model.

Someone who's primary interest is the Mark I probably won't be drawn to something like a Mark IV.

The Mark II, IIB and III aren't high priced sellers in the aftermarket... I don't see their price changing much.

The Mark IIC+ is a legend. Even if the Mark V replicated it perfect, nuance for nuance, there will be 'purists' who will still want the C+ anyway.

A good example of this is two channel Dual Rectifiers. I remember about 5 or 6 years back when you could buy them pretty cheap and they typically sold for a few hundred less than a used three channel. I think the creation of the Boogie Board has the subsiquent hype generated by this place alone has cause the value to nearly double in a couple of years (I saw someone advertising a black face/chrome chassis Dual Recto for $2250 the other day... I could've bought one of them for $850 in 2004).

Anyway, long and short is that all you need is one or two decated guys to clog up a forum like this with hype and the IIC+ will keep growing in value.

The store in question is the Guitar Gallery. Cool shop with some good stuff. They are a Mesa dealer.

screamingdaisy said:
Time will tell, but I don't see the Mark V affecting anything aside from the Mark IV, which may hit eBay in mass quantities as everyone "upgrades" to the new model.

Someone who's primary interest is the Mark I probably won't be drawn to something like a Mark IV.

The Mark II, IIB and III aren't high priced sellers in the aftermarket... I don't see their price changing much.

The Mark IIC+ is a legend. Even if the Mark V replicated it perfect, nuance for nuance, there will be 'purists' who will still want the C+ anyway.

A good example of this is two channel Dual Rectifiers. I remember about 5 or 6 years back when you could buy them pretty cheap and they typically sold for a few hundred less than a used three channel. I think the creation of the Boogie Board has the subsiquent hype generated by this place alone has cause the value to nearly double in a couple of years (I saw someone advertising a black face/chrome chassis Dual Recto for $2250 the other day... I could've bought one of them for $850 in 2004).

Anyway, long and short is that all you need is one or two decated guys to clog up a forum like this with hype and the IIC+ will keep growing in value.

That's a pre-250 Revision C, Black Face Chrome Chassis their chief. I'm not one to waller about other people missing the boat either. We've all blew the chance at owning something that went up in value or rarity. As far as hype, I so freaking sick of hearing it. Yes, I missed a stupid deal for a $ 1000 on a 1957 Harley Pan head. That's a $ 67,000 ROI, but i'm not slashing my wrist over it. No hype needed on that HOG !!!! It's a rolling, rattling pig that needs a tool kit to go 100 miles, but I never hear anyone complain about it.

screamingdaisy said:

What hype? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The only hype that I've seen is that some people want the C+ just because their guitar hero played one on this or that album. Total BULLSH!T.

The eye opening moments are the posts from the former MkIII/IV owners that have converted to the C+ camp. Some claim to have "seen the light". 8)

If you can get your ideal tone from a MkIII/IV, you should be glad, as there will be more money left over for other goodies. The MkV looks to be an awesome amp, and I will definately give it a test drive, although it will have some serious competition in North Alabama.

I hope that I'm not clogging up the forum :shock: .

Boogiebabies said:
That's a pre-250 Revision C, Black Face Chrome Chassis their chief. I'm not one to waller about other people missing the boat either. We've all blew the chance at owning something that went up in value or rarity. As far as hype, I so freaking sick of hearing it. Yes, I missed a stupid deal for a $ 1000 on a 1957 Harley Pan head. That's a $ 67,000 ROI, but i'm not slashing my wrist over it. No hype needed on that HOG !!!! It's a rolling, rattling pig that needs a tool kit to go 100 miles, but I never hear anyone complain about it.

Cool. My point is that prior to this forum and the nerded up collection of Recto lore it has very few people would no or care about it being a pre-250 anything. It's the pre-500 Recto hype that for the most part never existed until this forum was created that's driven up the value of those amps.

Here's a perfect example I just ran into...

Originally posted by CaughtLikeFire

the earliest 2 channel Rectos used a Mark series output transformer and are considered to have the "best" tone. I've never played a pre 700 or pre 1000 (whichever it was) but I do prefer the tone of the 2-channel to the 3-channel.

the more complicated a circuit gets, the more it seems to lose some of the tube amp mojo

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2107396#post2107417

And the value just went up another few dollars...

gts said:
Hype?!! That's a word for people who haven't had the opportunity to play through one. Boards like this don't create hype and bullshit. They disseminate information. Much of that information is based on direct first hand experience and knowledge. As the saying goes "knowledge is power".... And sure many remain skeptical and take things with a grain of salt, and perhaps they should but.... Man, there is no hype when it comes to the IIC+. It is the real deal!

If knowledge and info creates a desire for something, so be it. If prices go up because there are limited quantities of something that is desired or in demand, that's not hype.

Call a rose by any other name and it is still a rose.

I'm not saying the hype is undeserved... just that it exists.

Hype isn't a synonym for overrated...

Yes, the IIC+ is a hyped amp, and no, I'm not saying its overrated.
And yes, I played one and liked it.

yeah, "hype" has a connotation of "overrated" to me....the C+ isn't-I was diggin' THE solo to "Rosanna" by Luke today, and I heard that '58 LP Standard-a '58 is the real deal...so is a C+.........and many other amps as well(currently Jones'in for a 20 watt Marshall, ...and my **** MK V!!!!)it transcends hype, at least to me, when it DELIVERS..the C+ does just that
rock on,my wayward brothers :)

I grabbed one of the last short-chassis Mark IV heads available last year from Mesa/Boogie Hollywood (maybe, THE last Mark IV short head). Bids for Mark IVs still seem to be hovering at around $1,500 on ebay (don't know what the winning bid prices are ending up at for Mark IVs on ebay, though). I paid $300 under list for my "new" Mark IV because it was a manufacturer's demo that was sitting in a Plexiglas display case for a couple years in the store. I'm betting Mark IVs will come down in price on the used market. The Mark V is priced only a bit more than its predecessor (or is it the same price?), yet seems to offer so much more. If the Mark V came in a rack-mountable, short head, I'm sure I would be crying. I'm still pretty happy with my Mark IV, but, I bet the Mark V will be very impressive (especially the IIC+ channel), and will prove itself to be a marked improvement over the Mark IV.

honestly the way I see it...

Mark IV is definitely going to get a price drop...if I were to guess id say from the current 1000-1400, down to 800-1000

Mark III is currently 550-850 for most versions (excluding hardwoods), I dont see this moving much... maybe -50$ on the top end

Mark IIC+ ...doubt the mark V will impact this at all. However, MK IIC+ values have been falling steadily for about a year and a half. I remember an export fully loaded black tolex going for 5K+, it would struggle to sell for half that now (this has little to do with the economy in my opinion...)

Mark I/IIA or IIB are completely different animals, doubt we will see any impact here.

EDIT: Of course none of this will happen until mark V's start hitting the used market

The market's down 20-30% across the board. It's the economy, stupid.
I've never seen so many IIC+s on eBay and elsewhere.
Good news is, it's a great time to buy! :D

MrMarkIII said:
The market's down 20-30% across the board. It's the economy, stupid.
I've never seen so many IIC+s on eBay and elsewhere.
Good news is, it's a great time to buy! :D

Actually you are completely wrong :roll: , if you compare mark III prices of a year ago... it is virtually the same as current prices. As I see it, the demand for 2c+ was peaking at the same time the economy peaked, setting itself up for a price drop. What I am getting at here is basically the relation between normal goods (2c+) vs inferior goods (mark III). :lol:

Latest posts

Back