Wide body Theile.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trickyrick

Reaction score
Here are some pics of the wide body Theile I built last night. This is the first time I am trying to upload pics, so if it doesn't work bear with me.

100-0426.jpg.html

100-0424.jpg.html

100-0425.jpg.html

I used cabinet grade 13py maple, rabbited joints, the baffle is stop dadoed. I don't I will need to fill the empty space behind the dummy wall, that wood should not resonate. I already got the vinyl from a local fabirc store, it is not a perfect match to mesa's taurus, but for a 52"x72" pc for $16.99 it is perfect. it has a leather grain. I will post pics when I finish it this weekend.

yeah, I don't know what is up with this. If you copy and paste the url you should be able to view the pics from their web site. I am still trying to figure this out, I am not that PC savay.

gts said:
spirithunter beat you to it ;-)

Yes it's real nice work. Nice shop in the background.
Time to start the side business making wide body thieles!!!

you'll do ok with the tolexing i'm sure.

nice stash compartment in the back :lol:

Dude, thats so funny you should say that. My wife said " hey thats a great place to keep my Jewlery" I said yeah, if we get robbed do you think they won't take all of the equipment we have? " Oh yeah, right"

eltrain858 said:
nice freakin work for one night!
Thanks, I'm not trying to brag, but I have a sweet woodshop. I built it from the ground up and slowly outfitted it. I got it just the way I liked, and it burned down! I was using a propane heater and an amber lit and smoldered and it went up. As sad as that sounds, insurance really came through in a big way and I was able to rebuild it and outfit it with some sick tools. All Delta and Porta Cable stuff. Think New Yankee Workshop. So I like to build furniture, I usually do one big job a year for some Xmas $$ and hobby stuff the rest of the year.

I am thinking about selling the cabs unfinished as seen in the pics, but I would like to build them 10 at a time so I could utilize tool set-ups an such. I will put a feeler out there and see if anyone is interested. I am thinking $200-$225 with the grill frame. We'll see how it goes.

That's exceptional work there. I know I'd be interested in a regular size thiele if you decide to sell them. Was thinking of making one myself, but don't really know anybody who could help me with that since I have no real experience in woodworking. Like I said though, that looks great.

Some serious craftsmanship there! I love working with wood myself, though a hack, but I love the smell of sawdust in the morning!! All I can say is WOW, and Kudos!!

Question, though: is the dead space to elongate it to make it a widebody really just dead, useless space? If so, couldn't you make it the same widebody width, and make the cab less deep to retain the same interior volume??

Edward

edward said:
Some serious craftsmanship there! I love working with wood myself, though a hack, but I love the smell of sawdust in the morning!! All I can say is WOW, and Kudos!!

Question, though: is the dead space to elongate it to make it a widebody really just dead, useless space? If so, couldn't you make it the same widebody width, and make the cab less deep to retain the same interior volume??

Edward
I am uncertain if the resonance would be the same with a shallower cabinet. I would think the sound waves bounce off of the back wall quicker and maybe disperse from the ports quicker. I am not sure, I am just speculating. I am certain someone on this board could answer that question though. However, I like the depth of the can anyway. It would be more supportive on the combo on top. Thanks for all of the kind words.

Hey trickyrick,

OK, makes sense in terms of speculation. But I am thinking of my own Thiele and know that badboy is heavy given its very modest dimensions ...yours would be even heavier, yet adds nothing to the sound quality as the added mass is dead space (or looks like it from the pics). Please understand that is absolutely NO criticism of your stellar workmanship ...I am simply putting forward thoughts on the subject. :)

I know my thiele is much deeper than my MKIII short head, for example. So if you made a Thiele wide enough to accomodate a wide head yet maintain the same exact volume, I would think (my guess, actually) the depth would still be ample to support the head/overall rig withou issue. What do you think? Maybe worth an experimental build of 1 unit and A/B your two units?? What's your material cost of one possible "testbed" cab?? ...maybe I could help you in that respect. PM me if you're seriously curious ('cause I am :D).

Edward

very nice work. looks quite professional. i have been contemplating a similar design myself, but i havent crunched the numbers yet. yes the thiele is a deceptivly heavy enclosure for its size. but most of that has to do with the weight of the evm12l. btw the new ones seem to be just a pinch lighter (haven't put them on the scale though) i would guess that the widebody version probably weighs somewhere around 5-7 pounds heavier than the standard. i have contemplated making a lightweight version of the thiele with 1/2 inch ply with internal bracing, but i am still undecided because i just don't know if the weight savings will amount to enough to be worth it.

rick, any reason you decided to make the back removable, other than that's the way that mesa does it. are you planning on rear loading the speaker? also i think your price is not bad at all. i hope you get some buisiness. (maby it will make people realize how much actually goes into the construction of these cabs, especially for folks who don't have factories and assembly lines.)

Absolutely beautiful. Nice enough to just varnish! Here's something to think about. You would be able to do away with the dead space and increase the internal air volume of the cab by simply proportionatly reducing the port area. Or tuning the enclosure. It is possible to make the cabinet anysize you want and then tune it to your driver by calculating the port vent area. Try this:http://www.ajdesigner.com/speaker/i...ive you great insite into the design of cabs.

Latest posts

Back