Why Stereo?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ibin5

Reaction score
Hi. I am a Lamen. Forgive me.

Im thinking of some form of power amp soon to use with my Line 6 pod and cab.

Most seem to be stereo.

Why is this?

Stereo outs from the pod fit nicely into the channel A and B inputs. Great.

But why the two channel outputs from the amp?

I have but one cab and would only use one output.... - would this not cause some kind of load imbalance between the channels?

Forgive me is this is a stupid question or has been covered before.

Thanks

for a true stereo rig.
delays, chorus..etc going through two cabs..Or two different Pre's at the same time...etc
Hook up another cab and try the roto effect in the POD.

Cheers dude. Good to know!

So is there no problems running just one channel if i only have one cab?

What power amp are you using ?
Keep the channel you are not using turned all the way down , If it does not have a standby switch for that channel.

EDIT: I see you do not have a power amp picked yet.
I know the mesa boogie 295 is stero but also has a mono input, and a standby switch for each channel incase you only need one.

Havent bought one yet dude

swaying towards either a 20/20 or a 2:50 though

any recommendations?

Kool, thanks for you help.

I ran the pod pro with the Simul class 2:90 for 4 years, you should get that and activate the voicing switches with a footswitch or two. You will have a lot better tones and a better poweramp. I still use my simul 290, but now with the triaxis, dual rec 2 channel and pod pro in the effects loop, for effects, tuning, and midi switching.

stereo means two different sources.
Even using a stereo rig,you still be mono,because you are only one,BUT effects will be stereo.
chorus,phaser,flanger etc are more rich,lush as stereo.
You can use ping pong delays.Whatever.
If you are using amp simulators(wich I hate ),some equipments will let you use a different amp to each side.
Some people think having a stereo sound you should record the guitar part,double track using copy and paste ,open pans far left and right then slipering the second one about 7-10 ms .
It's not stereo,you will have a delayed guitar since the second one will be ALWAYS delayed.

Stereo means recording the same part 2 times.The little mistakes you do,it's impossible to play the same stuff 100% equally,sometimes you will hit a note before the tempo and sometimes after the tempo.
Those little imperfections allow your brain to recognize 2 different audio sources.
The best example is record a riff.Use the function double track and open their pans far.
2 guitars with opened pans will still sound like only one at the center .Why ?
Because they are the same ,without imperfections so your ears (brain) only hear one guitar.
When you mic 2 cabnets ,you can add a little delay(8 ms) to one of them,open pans ,people in the audience will hear one guitar in the right and another one(delayed) at the left.
It will sound heavier but still not stereo,just a delayed guitar.
Two guitarists playing the same thing = stereo.
:wink:

actually the strict definition of stereo is sound reproduction using 2 or more speakers, so it has nothing to do with how many signals are going into the speakers.

Both the 20/20 and fifty/fifty are good choices, I prefer the fifty/fifty just because I prefer el34's over el84's.

ToneAddictJon said:
actually the strict definition of stereo is sound reproduction using 2 or more speakers, so it has nothing to do with how many signals are going into the speakers.

Both the 20/20 and fifty/fifty are good choices, I prefer the fifty/fifty just because I prefer el34's over el84's.

Nonsense.
When you are listening to your dad's stereo,you have right side speaker(s) and left side speaker(s).
An stereo amp has two different channels so they send to those speakers(left and right) two different signals, when a song was recorded in stereo = stereo.
If a song was recorded in MONO,an stereo amp will split and send the same signal to both sides =enhanced mono

A mono cab with 4X12 speakers is a MONO cab.
A mono cab with 8 speakers is still a MONO cab.

According to what you said are there only mono cabs with 1 speaker ?

Well we all know there are MONO cabs with more than 1 speaker.

what you said is nonsense.
:(

18&Life said:
ToneAddictJon said:

Nonsense.
When you are listening to your dad's stereo,you have right side speaker(s) and left side speaker(s).
An stereo amp has two different channels so they send to those speakers(left and right) two different signals, when a song was recorded in stereo = stereo.
If a song was recorded in MONO,an stereo amp will split and send the same signal to both sides =enhanced mono

A mono cab with 4X12 speakers is a MONO cab.
A mono cab with 8 speakers is still a MONO cab.

According to what you said are there only mono cabs with 1 speaker ?

Well we all know there are MONO cabs with more than 1 speaker.

what you said is nonsense.
:(

Please look at a dictionary before you tell me what I say is nonsense. Stereo has nothing to do with multiple cabs or signals, it's what some people have come to refer to it as, but it's not the definition of it. In fact it refers to stereophonics which is a sound recording or reproduction of 2 or more seperate channels to give the feel of a live performance. Please, before you say that I'm wrong, look it up, and keep an open mind, none of us know it all, and we are all wrong sometimes, including me and you.

And while you're in that dictionary, look up "Knowledgement".... I would have to guess it isn't in there......

I would also add the copy and paste is "layering" .
The only way the same guitar signal will sound the same is if it is the same, IE: You do not EQ the tracks independently.
Layering makes the guitar sound huge especially when the channels are EQ'd different

ToneAddictJon said:

Doesnt the 50/50 use 6l6's?

Aren't you talking about the 2:50? That definitely has switchable biasing. I'm pretty sure the 50/50 doesn't.

The two seem to get confused as being the same thing pretty regularly on these forums. 2:50 and 50/50 are different. The 50/50 has a low power setting and DOESNT have switchable biasing and runs on 6l6's. the 2:50 has switchable biasing (6l6's or EL34's) but I dont think it has the low power setting that the 50/50 has. Both are stereo! It confuses me when people confuse them!! :lol:

Latest posts

Back