Why is my Mark IV so noisy?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPIndustrie

Reaction score
I love the thing, but..

it is sooo noisy. Even at low volumes, and worse at higher volumes. I've tried both guitars (my Gibson Les Paul Classic w/ EMG's and EB/MM JP6) and the noise level is so high.

My amp is an early A model, looks like someone marked 'MB 10-90' with a red marker(?), and I've heard the early ones were really noisey. Is that true?

If so, what can I do to eliminate the noise? I use a noise gate, so I guess I'm OK, but I'd like to eliminate as much noise as I can before I even turn on the noise gate.

I don't know how old the tubes for the amp are - I'm guessing pretty old. I was thinking of changing them all anyway, would this eliminate the noise issue?

I don't think its microphonic noise, more just an intense hum.

Thanks guys.

Bad pre's, power tubes, dirty jacks, tube sockets, filter caps and the wiring in your house can cause hum. Even the lighting. If you don't know how old your tubes are, it's a great place to start. I have never owned a MK series amp that was noisy. The C+, III and IV have very little static noise or idle white noise even at resonably high gain settings. A poll of the 5000 plus MK IVA owners would be in order to substantiate the rumor that they are noisy. If it gets out, you may crash the MK IVA market with bogus info.

I would start by playing the amp without any pedals or effects in the chain. Effects loop off.
If the problem is gone it's either a patch cable or a pedal. Check each one by itself. If it's still noisy try a different instrument cable.

Granted I have a mark IVB, but apart from the odd interference I had using a bad guitarcable, I've experienced hardly any noise.

My Mark IV is an early A and it is noisy as well in the Lead channel only. I have all new tubes, too. A friend of mine has a newer B version and it was noisy in the Lead channel as well. Could be the wiring though, coz in the practice room at the bass player's house, it is less noisy... Make sure you are not sitting too close, coz that can make it more noisy too...

I'm plugged directly in at home. No effects, and the EFX loop is off.

I'm also using a Fuman Power Conditioner M-8L with it. The Mark IV is plugged into the furman, and the furman is the only plug into the wall. My apartment's wiring is brand new, and I certainly did not have these issues at comparable volumes with my Dual Recto.

Do you think if I bring it into a shop, they could tell me whats wrong?

JPIndustrie should've bought my Mark IV B... :( I bet 100% mint sounds good now, doesn't it?

Boogiebabies said:
A poll of the 5000 plus MK IVA owners would be in order to substantiate the rumor that they are noisy. If it gets out, you may crash the MK IVA market with bogus info.

Yes! That's an excellent idea! ...Think the effect will kick in before my auction ends? :wink:

visualrocker69 said:
JPIndustrie should've bought my Mark IV B... :( I bet 100% mint sounds good now, doesn't it?

Boogiebabies said:
A poll of the 5000 plus MK IVA owners would be in order to substantiate the rumor that they are noisy. If it gets out, you may crash the MK IVA market with bogus info.

Yes! That's an excellent idea! ...Think the effect will kick in before my auction ends? :wink:

Visual!!! Am I reading this wrong ?? I must be.... Are you saying your selling your MarkIV? You just got it and were so excited about it?!?

What happened??

Maldeve said:
visualrocker69 said:

Boogiebabies said:

Visual!!! Am I reading this wrong ?? I must be.... Are you saying your selling your MarkIV? You just got it and were so excited about it?!?

What happened??

Don't worry, I'm only selling it because it's more practical to have a head and cab setup for me. That way I can have a cab at home, a cab at college, and transport only the head for vacations. Cheaper than having two amps, don't you think :p

But yeah, don't worry, it's a f%&# amazing amp. I can't wait to get my hands on a short head ASAP!!!

I changed all my leads and my noises went away. The pots were a bit ***** as well, but they cleaned up OK.

My biggest issue was using old leads with about a million gigs on them.

Latest posts

Back