Why I love my Stiletto Ace

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bduersch

Reaction score
Starting at 1:27... great crunch & solo tones, no OD pedals required...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abd7Bk1ech0

('nuff said)

--B

Nice job.

I see you also have a Dyne. How would you compare/contrast the two? I can't make up my mind between an ED head, or a Deuce II head. I play rock/hard rock mostly.

Um, good question... both strike me as Mesa's attempt to make British sounding amps. The ElectraDyne has less gain on tap, is warmer & more organic sounding; the Stiletto has more gain and more bite to the tone (it could be harsh or ice-picky depending on the settings and other components in the rig).

A few months back, I was playing in 2 original bands... one was a straight-ahead rock band (think Matchbox 20), the other more of a hybrid hard rock/funk band (think Living Colour). I tried both heads in both bands (actually tried the Mark V and Roadster in both bands as well). For the first band, the ElectraDyne was perfect, while the Stiletto was just a bit edgy for the acoustic guitarist and female vocalist in the band. In the second band, the ElectraDyne didn't have quite enough edge or gain, but the Stiletto was amazing, being able to go from funky clean to heavy riffage, super tight across the board.

So for me, I think which amp to choose would depend on the classic question "how hard is hard?" Or perhaps it'd depend on other rig components (guitars, effects, cabs) as well.

--B

Thanks. I really like the ED. I've recently spent a couple hours wringing one out and liked the fullness of the sound. Several months ago I did the same thing with a Trident thru a Marshall 412. I really liked the way that sounded as well.

As much as I like the ED, I don't mind thefew extra knobs and switches the Stiletto series have - because I like being able to have 2 independent eq sections, and the solo boost function is definitely handy, since I play in a two guitar band.

I've probably answered my own question here. :mrgreen:

I suppose the only way to be sure is to get two of them together thru Recto 412s like mine and A/B them directly.

Thanks for your feedback.

I don't mean to but in, but have you ever considered a 5:50 express?

I currently own a Stiletto Ace combo and I am ashamed to admit it, but untill now I've never considered the 5:50. As a matter of fact i've never even tried on out in person, but from all the reviews and videos I've seen it look very interesting.

It has 3 channels with two sets of knobs. A great sounding reverb, the ability to switch down to 5 watts for bedroom playing the option of using 6l6 or el34 tubes. Not to mention it is compact and costs less than some of the other amps mentioned.

I will definatly go and check out this amp live shortly. I'd be interested in hearing what the others here think about this amp.

skunizzi said:
I don't mean to but in, but have you ever considered a 5:50 express?

I currently own a Stiletto Ace combo and I am ashamed to admit it, but untill now I've never considered the 5:50. As a matter of fact i've never even tried on out in person, but from all the reviews and videos I've seen it look very interesting.

It has 3 channels with two sets of knobs. A great sounding reverb, the ability to switch down to 5 watts for bedroom playing the option of using 6l6 or el34 tubes. Not to mention it is compact and costs less than some of the other amps mentioned.

I will definatly go and check out this amp live shortly. I'd be interested in hearing what the others here think about this amp.

Thanks!

Yes, I've played most Mesa amps, and narrowed it down to the ED, Stiletto and the Mark V. I have no problems dialing in Mesa amps - but still would lean toward simplicity. I've since also determined that I tend to like more of a 'Marshall' sound, but want better build quality, clean tones, and some added flexibility... enter Mesa Stiletto & Electra Dyne.

So, one of these two amps is most likely to be my next.

Going back to..."Why I love my Stiletto Ace"....

Primarily because it's the sound I've had in my head for so MANY years! :twisted:

It just sounds so... ME!! It has a tendency to show all your mistakes however, hopefully that's making me a better player. And for the first time with any amp I've owned previously, I can change guitars without changing ANY of my settings (except for volume!). Thats a pretty cool thing. It just does everything I ask, extremely well. I've even been able to set aside my EQ pedal since I got my 2x12 Recto cab. This Stiletto just keeps getting better and better! :mrgreen:

bduersch said:

('nuff said)

--B

I see that amp is for sale now. Is an Axe-Fx replacing it? If i come off abrasive i don't mean to, but let's rename the thread, Why i sold my Stiletto. Once you go to one of the great Jose inspired Marshalls they really make Boogies take on a Marshall sound average at best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7UJqix55wQ

danyeo1 said:
bduersch said:

('nuff said)

--B

I see that amp is for sale now. Is an Axe-Fx replacing it? If i come off abrasive i don't mean to, but let's rename the thread, Why i sold my Stiletto. Once you go to one of the great Jose inspired Marshalls they really make Boogies take on a Marshall sound average at best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7UJqix55wQ

Well, practically speaking, just because I dig something doesn't mean I can't sell it for something different... the Mesas I had at the time gave me a lot of flexibility for recording, but the Axe-FX provides a lot more flexibility and simplicity in the studio. That said, I don't have the patience to mess around with the Axe-FX for gigging, so I've still got a couple Mesas (Roadster + Mark V combos). Only reason I didn't keep the Stiletto is that it's not as versatile as the other two, though admittedly, if Mesa made a 3 or 4 channel Stiletto I'd be all over it (once again).

--B

Back