1984 S.O.B. I Like It

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DC3 Gridlock

Reaction score
Sold my last Boogie almost a year ago, it was a Mark III Black Dot. I picked up this SOB a couple of weeks ago. This combo has a JBL E120 inside (not sure if this was original to the amp).

The Mark IIB’s have always been my favorite Mesa amp, and I have owned quite of few different Mesa amps over the years.

I definitely like the SOB better than my Mark III. I am primarily using the SOB in Input-2 and with an OD pedal. I’m also running my reverb and delay pedals up front, and it sounds great.

Good tones and sustain. I am super happy with the SOB. I am not sure why these have such an unfavorable reputation.

IMG_1511.jpeg

IMG_1478.jpeg
IMG_1476.jpeg
IMG_1514.jpeg

Last edited:
I have had my SOB since 84 when I ordered a long chassis head, simul class amp. I later had Mesa in Petaluma install the amp in a cabinet.
This is the only Mesa Boogie I still have. Works great, try to forget about the limit control. Any other info you need, let me know. Also many SOB owners install a Presence control.
Sample Settings.jpg

I have had my SOB since 84 when I ordered a long chassis head, simul class amp. I later had Mesa in Petaluma install the amp in a cabinet.
This is the only Mesa Boogie I still have. Works great, try to forget about the limit control. Any other info you need, let me know. Also many SOB owners install a Presence control.View attachment 3043

Thank you for the information, I’ll definitely test these settings. I’m mainly playing Blues, Santana, ZZ Top, and Zeppelin type music. I’m still impressed with the amp.

Curious, do you think that the JBL in my amp might be a special factor order? I have not found another Mesa with this speaker on the web.

Thanks again.

Thank you for the information, I’ll definitely test these settings. I’m mainly playing Blues, Santana, ZZ Top, and Zeppelin type music. I’m still impressed with the amp.

Curious, do you think that the JBL in my amp might be a special factor order? I have not found another Mesa with this speaker on the web.

Thanks again.
Most likely post production added. I heard about the EV speakers and some Altec, but had not heard about JBL's as an option. But maybe, it was made for a well known guitar player and Mesa did it for the person. Also a lot of Boogies were sold out of Prune Music, local store and they might have added it.

Most likely post production added. I heard about the EV speakers and some Altec, but had not heard about JBL's as an option. But maybe, it was made for a well known guitar player and Mesa did it for the person. Also a lot of Boogies were sold out of Prune Music, local store and they might have added it.
Thanks David, the amp sounds great with this speaker so no plans to replace it. I read that this JBL weighs 22 lbs by itself. I had EV ‘s in all my other Mark series combos and this amp probably weighs 10 lbs more than any of them.

Back