who's got the best metal tone?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaredrutledge

Reaction score
my vote goes to the boys from BTBAM- the new album is, in a word, breathtaking. paul has a really distinctive sounding lead tone. they use this stuff (dual recto's, tubescreamer):
http://www.smnnews.com/board/showthread.php?t=114976

who gets your vote?

jaredrutledge said:
my vote goes to the boys from BTBAM- the new album is, in a word, breathtaking. paul has a really distinctive sounding lead tone. they use this stuff (dual recto's, tubescreamer):
http://www.smnnews.com/board/showthread.php?t=114976

who gets your vote?

I agree about their new album.. absolutely inspiring and epic. Going to see them in under a month too, they're one of my favorite metal groups

Metal is too broad anymore, are you talking-
Thrash
Speed
Black
Pop
Hardcore
Rapcore
Progressive
Classic
Power
Melodic
Death
etc. etc. etc......

BTW my vote goes for Endrone, Soulfly, Tool, Symphony X (recorded not live), Children of Bodom, Strapping Young Lad, Fear Factory (Dino years), Down, C.O.C., Lacuna Coil, Megadeth, Metallica, etc. etc. etc........

Out of the whole "Metalcore" genre... Unearth's tone has always stood out to me as being above par on each album. They've used everything from your ever so common 5150's and Rectos to much less common(in the U.S. anyways) ENGL and Framus gear. Now they're sporting the VHT Deliverances and still sound great.

Their guitars are EMG loaded Ibanez S & RG series 7 strings. They've also been known to give the good ol' Maxon OD808 a lot of use, especially in the studio. You'd need one to get a metal tone that tight out of an amp like the Framus Cobra. :p

Also just great musicians with good technique. Don't let the chuggy breakdowns and occasional minor seconds fool you. These guys can shred and sweep all over the place, guitar behind their heads and all. :lol:

Unearth, Metallica, August Burns Red and last but not least Parkway Drive.......ohhhhhh the brutality :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

-AJH

guitarmaster said:
:D MESA/BOOGIE Mark III 1986 - Heathen -Victims of Deception(1991)...................

http://www.heathenmetal.com/main/multimedia/vod/09%20Vicitims%20of%20Deception%20-%20Mercy%20is%20No%20Virtue.mp3

http://www.heathenmetal.com/main/multimedia/vod/01%20Vicitims%20of%20Deception%20-%20Hypnotized.mp3

http://www.heathenmetal.com/main/multimedia/vod/03%20Vicitims%20of%20Deception%20-%20Heathen%27s%20Song.mp3

woo! 8) Thanks again for those. The younger brothers of Metallica. :)

Edge of Sanity (Crimson II), Dream Theater (TOT), Metallica (MOP), Opeth, Evergrey, Amon Amarth, and Entombed.

BTW: I have never heard of BTBAM, strange... :? I really enjoyed that song from their new cd :twisted:

fpoon said:
vertigo_ said:
I HAVE THE BEST METAL TONE!

No, I do. What do you think of Halo 3?

LOL...dude can you imagine, Just the day before I was getting my Halo 3 preorded copy in my mail...my xbox 360 got the 3 flashing red light of death!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I called MS and they told me that they are fixing this problem for free. Sending me a box and once I send it back then will fix it and send me back.

So I have a brand new copy of halo3 and haven't played a single minute of it:(

**** dude that sucks but pretty suspicious if you ask me. Plenty of people (in the thousands) on the bungie forums got the rings aswell just days before Halo came out. I think Microsoft purposly curupt your 360's or they only last a specific amount of time knowing you'd buy a new one anyway just for Halo since it's a must have. Good luck lol.

fpoon said:
**** dude that sucks but pretty suspicious if you ask me. Plenty of people (in the thousands) on the bungie forums got the rings aswell just days before Halo came out. I think Microsoft purposly curupt your 360's or they only last a specific amount of time knowing you'd buy a new one anyway just for Halo since it's a must have. Good luck lol.
They actually recently extended everyone's warranty from 1 year to 3 years. With such a competitive market that video games are, I doubt Microsoft purpously made their products not to last.

I had a "red ring" Monday morning(day of the launch if you went to the midnight release). But it was my fault for unknowningly leaving my 360 on for a couple days so it overheated. All I had to do was turn it off, unplug everything and leave it alone for a few hours. It's ran perfectly ever since and I've been enjoying Halo-3 non-stop since I got it. 8)

A lot of problems with 360's are user error. Some are Manufacturer. Either way, Xbox has killer warranty so if it's not something tech support can walk you through over the phone. You can send it in and they'll fix it or send you a functioning one.

sam adams said:
fpoon said:
They actually recently extended everyone's warranty from 1 year to 3 years. With such a competitive market that video games are, I doubt Microsoft purpously made their products not to last.

I had a "red ring" Monday morning(day of the launch if you went to the midnight release). But it was my fault for unknowningly leaving my 360 on for a couple days so it overheated. All I had to do was turn it off, unplug everything and leave it alone for a few hours. It's ran perfectly ever since and I've been enjoying Halo-3 non-stop since I got it. 8)

A lot of problems with 360's are user error. Some are Manufacturer. Either way, Xbox has killer warranty so if it's not something tech support can walk you through over the phone. You can send it in and they'll fix it or send you a functioning one.

Yep I was impressed with the warranty extension...and also they way customer service tried to make this whole process smooth for me. I just want a working xbox 360 and play my halo3. I even said NO to a show this weekend...so I could spend the whole weekend with Halo 3. I was joking with my wife that...she needs to put the food in my mouth so I can dedicate my hands completely for Halo3.

I'm gonna have to give it up to these two as my faves right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89h-X-tZa_w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-e5jANOe_0

I really like Killswitch Engage's tone, but my all time favorite is Demons and Wizards self titled album. Demons and Wizards is Hansi from Blind Guardian and Jon Schaffer from Iced Earth. To me the tone has so much crunch and balls.

Turmoil - The Process Of - just about as heavy as it gets; absolutely brutal but still a full bodied tone. I think they're using rectifiers out of marshall cabs.
Carcass - Necroticism - this guitar tone was so awesome because it sounded so gross but good. I wonder what they were running.... I know Bill Steer was a fan of the Ibanez S series, but who knew what guitar and amp was used in the studio.
Snapcase - Progression/Designs - always enjoyed the tone. Saw them live and one guy had a rectifer and the other a triaxis.
Korn - Korn - I love it. Sounds like garbage but was thick and original for the time
Jimmy Eat World - I know they're not metal, but I love the variety of tones and how huge the tones are.

For metal, it seems like how big the guitar tone is really has a lot to do with how the bass fills that tone in. I've noticed with some bands that sound like they have huge tones that it seems like the way the bass is interacting with the guitar has a lot to do with it.

Latest posts

Back