Who here switched over from a Stiletto?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ifailedshapes

Reaction score
The reason why I ask that question is because I was playing in Fluid Drive on a Stiletto Ace yesterday and it made me smile from ear to ear, even yelling sometimes because I was SO happy with how it sounded. I had played a Roadster immediately before that, and the immediate response of the gain was my favorite thing about it. I know that Mark amps have a more immediate nature as well (had a Mark IV for a couple years), and I'm wondering if any of the modes in Channel 3 can get even reasonably close to what I experienced yesterday.

If you read any of the forums on this board, you'll see me everywhere right now. I'm trying to play everything I can and pick people's brains so I make the best decision possible on New Amp Day. I don't make a lot of money currently (commissions suck right now), so I don't have the luxury a lot of people on here have of trying something, selling it, losing a couple hundred bucks, and then buying something else.

So yeah, Mark V Channel 3 vs Stiletto Fluid Drive. I had a great rock and roll tone, not a scooped metal tone. I happen to like mids. :)

Had a Deuce when I bought my MKV, which was my go to amp for years. Like you, fluid drive on CH2 was my lead setting, and I used a Fulltone FD2 for more texture and extra sustain

The closest I got to that setting on the MKV was MK1 in CH2. Different start point, but I can get those singing, mid heavy lead lines sustaining in the same way, with it's own Mark character. The FD2 fits the bill too, and gives me 3 lead tones on 1 amp setting - and I ride the guitar volume / tone knobs a LOT for added response etc

I didn't switch the Stiletto for the V, but swapped it for a LSC with another forum member after I had the V for months. It is certainly more versatile than the Stiletto (with EL34's in the power section), but not "better". If you like your current set up, stick with it. But if you need more versatility, a V is a must try

As usual, it's a Mesa, and tweaking is a must to find what you are looking for. Now that I have a LSC in my stable, I have to admit the V hasn't seen much play time. The LSC is easy to set for clean / crunch / lead, and I'm grinning ear to ear everytime I power up

Good luck :D

I came to the MkV from a an Ace. I was in love with that amp when I bought it, absolutely hit the spot. It got to be a little simple for my liking though (which, ironically, is why I bought it...I pretty much wanted a simple, 1-channel-esque tube amp).

In my opinion, Channel 3 on the MkV is way more versatile than the Fluid Drive, but has a slightly different feel. Granted, I only run 6L6s, so I can't say that EL34s wouldn't get close to the bark of the Ace. I think that the MkV has a much more fluid 'lead' channel. The Ace, in comparison, seems plain, raw and simple while the V has some complexity to it's sound and feel.

Like the rest of this amp, it has taken me a good bit of time to dial in the sounds I want. I'd say that unless you ONLY want an amp that can do simple, gut-bustin' rock, go with the MkV...you're able to cover so much more ground with it than other amps I've had.

Go out and play them both if you can. You'll know which is right for you.

Back