Who here has played the Mark I Reissue? Opinions? Clips?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LnTh

Reaction score
Hey fellas. As I've mentioned several times, I'm more than happy with my roadster minus the solo sounds. I've always preferred a triaxis or Mark IV for solos.

That said, I'm not gonna spend 1500 for a Mark IV or even more for triaxis+2:90 just for a solo sound so I thought maybe Mark I would be a good choice for a temporary second amp.

I just need super smooth fat solo tones out of this amp. If any other amp under a grand pops to your mind, let me know.

Actually I'm also considering Mark III since I can sell it after I'm done with my recordings. I suspect Mark I isn't the easiest to sell. But anyway. If you have experiences with a Mark I, let me know.

I've actually bought a Rio Grande BBQ for bridge so that might change things greatly and smoothen the sound up (hope I can make up in other channels though) and maybe I won't need to buy another amp (fingers crossed). If they become too smooth, I might have to ditch the pickup). My current pups are Burstbuckers. Not the smoothest pickups I reckon. I wanted to ask that too actually

Can anyone compare Burstbucker pickups to BBQ?

Mark III's voice would be closer to a MKIV, MKI is a lot more open, less dark sounding, to my ears anyway.

They're nowhere near as tight as a III or a IV. Might not be what you expect. They're big and juicy and kinda spongy and kinda loose. Great stuff if you ask me.

phyrexia said:
They're nowhere near as tight as a III or a IV. Might not be what you expect. They're big and juicy and kinda spongy and kinda loose. Great stuff if you ask me.
See I'm kinda looking for that. This is seriously just for solo playing. Single notes no rhythm playing at all. I'm only gonna track my solos with it.

So it sounds good so far. As long as it isn't ice picky trebly on the eq I'm ok with it. I need lots of fat mids.

I have owned my Mark I head for about a year now, and have great results running through the thiele cab. I was using Les Pauls through my Mark I when I first purchased it. I had to sell the Pauls, and my only guitar at the moment is a 1973 Gretsch Chet Atkins Tennessean with original Dynasonic single coils.

The Pauls loved the Mark I, although I did use an MI Audio Blues Pro to boost the OD channel and tighten it up. The Gretsch does not like the OD channel of the Mark I, so I use my pedalboard through the clean channel (Fulltone OCD, Distortion Pro, Fulldrive Anniversary Mosfet, Boss DD-3 Delay) and get great results that way. I also used a friends American Fat Strat through the Mark I, and still feel that it favors humbuckers over single coils. With a Les Paul it should be no problem.

I agree with the comment that the Mark I sounds loose, I did own a Mark III and they have more distortion on tap and provide a tighter sound. I play lead guitar for the worship team at my church and love how the Mark I sounds on the OD channel for leads (with Les Pauls/humbuckers). It also is very pedal friendly, so you can go that route also. I like the head/thiele combination, it gives me lots of power in a very portable package. Another plus is the tweed setting, I use the tweed setting in 60 watt mode with the speaker in the 4ohm jack. Very nice.

Great guys thanks. Seems like it can easily fill my missing spot. Under a grand cost is a very nice bonus too.

I still hope the pickup I ordered (Rio Grande BBQ) fills my channel 4 sound up a bit in terms of low mids and smoother highs and I get a much smoother lead on my Roadster but if that fails, I think I'll need a second amp. Mark I it is for now. I would love a Lonestar but that's expensive. I wonder if I can get a 50/100 Lonestar under a grand. That would be a great option too!

O well 8)

I've seen lots of lonestars at under a grand on ebay. They're not there every day, but within a span of about 2 weeks you'll see 2-3 of them.

Elpelotero said:
I've seen lots of lonestars at under a grand on ebay. They're not there every day, but within a span of about 2 weeks you'll see 2-3 of them.
Yeah I might try and get one of those babies too. Either way.

I don't know about the reissues. but my '78 takes OD pedals very well. The last time that I got a mean tone out of it, I took photos to document the settings. The Fulldrive was in Comp Cut (clean boost) mode, with the OD sound providing a chunky but precise rhythm tone, and the Boost laying the leads on nice and thick. The Ayan Smooth-n-Slim was in between the Fulldrive and input #1. Although these settings appear to have a lack of bass, the MkI tone stack gets extremely overwhelmed with this much drive on the input. A very pleasing rhythm tone, indeed. All thru a pair of EV thieles. A Decimator pedal in the loop was mandatory to quieten the noise, though.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o94/JoeyB1970/DSC02595.jpg
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o94/JoeyB1970/DSC02591.jpg
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o94/JoeyB1970/DSC02592.jpg

This is for Joey B., how well do you like the sound of the two thieles?? I am asking because I have been wanting to purchase another cabinet to use with the thiele I currently have. I thought about purchasing another thiele and stacking them, would you recommend this or should I go with a compact open back? I am planning on using them with my Mark I head, and a Mark IV head (will be ordering soon!!). Any thoughts?? Thanks.

MarkofXlnts said:
This is for Joey B., how well do you like the sound of the two thieles?? I am asking because I have been wanting to purchase another cabinet to use with the thiele I currently have. I thought about purchasing another thiele and stacking them, would you recommend this or should I go with a compact open back? I am planning on using them with my Mark I head, and a Mark IV head (will be ordering soon!!). Any thoughts?? Thanks.

I'll not hijack the thread, so I sent you a PM. Ask "lesterpaul" about the MkIV/ two thiele setup. He can give you the lowdown. 8)

Joey B., thank you for the PM. I will try not to hijack threads in the future, Im still figuring things out here. 8) Thanks again.

By the way, regarding the Mark I reissue and pedals, everything I have tried in the clean channel sounds awesome. This would include: Fulltone OCD, Fulldrive 2 Anniversary Mosfet, Distortion Pro, MI Audio Crunchbox and Blues Pro. In contrast, my 74 Deluxe Reverb is much more picky with pedals and sounds too scooped in the mids for my taste, I just use it as a practice amp now.

I play mk I reissue combo for about three years now. it took me quite a long time to dial exact sound that i wanted, but now i wouldn't trade it for anything else :) It's sweetest amp for leads i've ever played, IMO it has most suitable lead channel (input 1) for solo work of mark series amps. It also has beautiful crunch and clean tones, i really love sound of second input with volume 2 on 10. Clean channel (input 2) works perfect with almost all distortion pedals (only pedal that didn't sound right in band was 90's boss DS-1) - especially with proco rat and barber electronics small fry (mk I sounds really incredible with small fry). Only thing i would recommend to change about this amp is it's stock speaker - it sounds much better with altec or EVM.

Back