Whitesnake 87 Mark III Settings, suggestions?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viendette

Reaction score
Hey anybody got any good settings for the John Sykes Lead & Rhythm tone from the Whitesnake 87 album for a Mark III? Any recommendations would be awesome.

Nice link but I didn't see any tone settings. I'm pretty sure j Sykes used a mk III coli. Maybe a halfback cab with a mk III will get you started. I'm sure if you google for settings that will get you started
Scott

He asked for "settings, suggestions", so I gave a suggestion :) . My suggestion was the huge rig :twisted: . Sykes had a ton of headroom with those Coliseums running six 6L6 power tubes. 8)

Sykes also used a Les Paul Custom with a maple neck and Gibson Dirty Fingers (ceramic high output) pickups.

I wish I had settings to share. My best luck in finding a specific tone is usually guitar in hand and Mesa cranked, constantly tweaking the settings. Think of the movie Rock Star where Mark Wahlberg keeps playing the tape over and over again to the guitarist saying "that's a ping, not a squeal!!" It always sucks when the lead singer is right, don't it??? :lol:

The thing that some people forget is that you need to find the tone in "real world" setting. Setting up your tones at whisper volume, they won't sound the same or feel the same as when the amp is turned up. Being at stage volume helps to really nail a sound/tone/feel.

The best rehearsal I ever had was when I had my Mark IV short head on Channel 3 wailing on a cover solo, the amp was sustaining like crazy and I nailed it, note for note. I felt like I was connected to the guitar/amp/speakers. It was trippy. :twisted:

Totally agree..
Our band practice a lot quieter than stage volume - very difficult to nail tones and levels.
I practice at home to the originals we're covering at decent volume and it helps.
But when the MkIIA is not in it's "zone" - which for mine seems to be just before feedback becomes unmanageable - I feel like packing up..
Love the description of being "connected" to the amp.. very apt..
I remember Santana explaining walking around a stage in soundcheck to find the "sweet spot" and gaffing an "X" on the floor.

Really couldn't find any settings on the web per se. Just info about what he used (Coli's, Marshall's and M2C+)

Yeah I didn't find much except these settings by someone on the board can't find the link, anyway tell me what you think.

Volume-8-9
Treble-8
Bass-2
Mid-4
Master-whatever
Lead Drive-4-5
Lead Master-up to you
Presence-6
Reverb-3

Eq-Slight "V" center slide around the middle.

Just curious any of you Mark users use any Overdrive/Distortion Pedals or is it not needed?

I use a simple set up with my III, and use a BB preamp for solo boost (If needed). It is just there for some extra sizzle and compression and a confidence booster :lol: . Another pedal I just started using is a Demeter compressor, and I like that better than the BB.

Whether or not a dist\OD pedal is needed depends on the user (of course). I have used a few diffrent dist\od pedals with mine. I am currently using a RAT but in the past I have used a DS-1, Blues Driver, Metal Zone, and the OD\dist that Boss makes (I don't remember the model number). I plan on having a Keeley mod done to my DS-1 and giving it another try but right now it is just to thin sounding. I really want to hear this thing with an OCD and a Jekyl and Hyde.

For me, the Boss pedals, when in their stock form, either don't have enough balls or don't have enough distortion. Meaning they sound fizzy or they sound like a good tube amp almost turned up loud enough.

Everytime I run into the guy that sold me my MarkIII he rips on me for using pedals instead of the drive channels on the amp. The way I see it if he wanted the other channels to be used, he should have kept it or sold it to someone else.

Latest posts

Back