Which Tremolo Pedal ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stompboxfreak72

Reaction score
I currently use an Boss Tr-2 modified by Analogman. The effect is good but I cannot take the lack of tap tempo. How can anyone use tremolo and not be in time ?

Anyway, I am eyeballing a Fulltone Supa-Trem but I was wondering what else is out there that has tap tempo.

Suggestions ?

Take a look at the Trem's at pedalgeek.com. They have a pretty good selection of pedals with soundbites. It may help. I have a Supa Trem and love it.

+1 for the Supa Trem - tap tempo has never been a need for me personally... such a wonderful tone on the Supa Trem...

I have owned a supa trem and absolutky loved it,very warm and I wished I never sold it but.........The Line 6 tap tremolo is very very good and is the trem I am using just know,its very flexible and has alot of tones

I recently picked up a Supa Trem and it it fantastic! Familiarization with the speed control and your in business..

I picked up the Supa trem and I am very disappointed ! The pedal IS NOT tap tempo. You can half or double the tremolo effect but you cannot actually set the tempo via tapping the speed control. Of all the reviews I read I thought the pedal was tap tempo.

Futhermore, the effect is lousy when distorted. My Boss TR-2 will work prominently with distorion but the Fulltone cannot be heard at all. I will be dumping this pedal and sticking with the Boss pedal much to my dismay.

seriously man, the only way you should be getting distortion in your trem is if you have it before the preamp stage (that is, it's between your guitar and your amp, which is wrong), or if you have it in the right place (the fx loop or between your preamp and power amp) and for some reason you're driving the crap out of your power stage which you rarely do on Mesa amps.

put the trem in the fx loop.

and y'know, people did without tap trems for, oh, forty years :wink:

I am so sorry to have disappointed you. Thanks for the history of the tremolo pedal. I don't believe in change and wish everything was the same as it was 40 years ago. Thank god there are good sumaritans to lead us tone deaf cavemen to the light !

I now love my Fulltone Supa-trem and suggest that everyone go buy one as it is obviously the best pedal for all your tremolo needs. It does not sound very good in the hands of an amateur like myself who actually prefers to use Wah pedals in the fx loop instead of the conventional wisdom that time based modulating effects go in the fx loop. Who would have known ? I feel so enlightened now ! This changes everything ! I've been such a fool to not love this pedal !

stompboxfreak72 said:
Thank god there are good sumaritans to lead us tone deaf cavemen to the light !
That's freakin hilarious!! If you ask me the tap tempo schtuff is overrated and not required. Extra circuitry=noise potential to me..

RocksOff said:
Man, what an arrogant d*ck.

totally OT but dude, I love your icon. I'm imagining Evil Michael Knight in his lair, rocking old Testament on a black Warlock.

Muhahahahahahahahahaha!

It's Garth Knight! And evil super vehicle K.A.R.R.!

and by the way, when i said the thing about the arrogance issue, i wasn't talking about you... i was referring to stompbox-dude. sorry if there was any misunderstanding.

no, it's cool, man, I didn't think so.

Was his name actually Garth? hahahaha "Party on, Garth!"

I can't handle pedal reviews because they're so subjective. Unless a guy says "it sounds like..." you really don't know what he means.

I imagine some kid buying my Maxon AD900 to go with his Line6 amp becuase he heard analog delay is teh sh1t, and he'd be like

"d00d wtf it sounds all fuzzy and scratchy this sux"

because people in reviews kept saying it sounds "warm" and "analog" and "has a beautiful slight degradation on the repeats" instead of saying "it sounds like an old pink floyd record."

that's why I'm basically a big pedal recycling factory... buy it, try it, 'bay it <g>

The Fulltone pedal really is an awesome pedal but it does not suite my needs. I like to use it for the " toggle switch" effect to end a song and so I often have a distorted channel on when I use the effect. A stock Boss Tr-2 has a voluminous amount of character flaws but the Analogman modification really evens it out.

I am more kicking myself for not realizing that the pedal is not a " true" tap tempo which was the only reason I looked into it anyway. Sometimes you hear/see what you want and not what really is.

Like most of the mountain of pedals I own, I will eventually find a use for this one as well. It will go on the pile and I'll pull it out 8 months from now and think it's the best thing.

Slide players would love this pedal for that " swamp" type John Fogerty sound. Of course nothing will beat the sound of a Fender amp for that but in a pinch or sans Fender amp this pedal would be appropriate.

Thanks for all the replies and usefull information. Sorry that my attempt at sarcasm rubbed some people the wrong way.

no worries, bro, I was trying to be funny, it just struck me that it was kind of like asking how people played metal before Rectos were invented.
(They did, of course, just not as well :twisted:)

totally fell flat. I didn't mean to sound like I was ragging on you. sorry!

anyway, on trem pedals-- I live in the same city as the dude who makes the Empress trem, which is apparently a godlike pedal. I heard he is back-ordered like crazy, but I'm trying to see if i can get my hands on one at least to playtest. I'll let you know how it works out...

http://www.empresseffects.com/tremolo.php

Latest posts

Back