which stripe mark III sounds the closest to a c+?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimAnsell

Reaction score
the other guitarist in my band has a fully loaded c+.
basicly he doesn't want to take it to gigs, so what is the mark III that sounds the closest to the mark IIC+?

Blue stripe, like many said the gain structure and control layout is nearly identical as it is on the IIC+ but one contributing factor of the IIC+ tone is the transformer used specifically for that amp.

I don't agree...
I have a mark III blue stripes, and a friend of mine has a mark III red stripes.

Well...before modding my mark III blue stripes to mark IIIC+ , his red stripes was more near to mark IIC+...it has a smooth lead without those high spikes of blues stripes, but clean on red stripes is not clean...

Now that i've modded my mark III to mark IIIC+...well..what a difference!!!
My friend is astonished by the great changes in my lead sound...and now he wants his head modded too!
It's really like a IIC+ with a supersmooth and fluid drive,and a good sparkly fenderish clean, but obviously can't be a IIC+ without those original trannies....

Yeah, I´ve heard that the red stripe is closer to the IIC+. The blue stripe is supposed to be more aggressive. The poweramp on the blue is supposed to be closer to the IIC+ though.

I´ve also heard that Mike B thinks the red stripe is easier to mod to IIC+ status as it´s closer to begin with.

The Green Stripes headroom makes it a very close alternative. IMO, the Pentode wiring of the outer sockets give it the sense of the higher powered C+ power amp, yet it retains it's smoothness.

Hi Boogiebabies!
Today i've checked my plate voltage on my blue stripes, and it seems to be very high as on mark IIC+...I've tested a 490v value, and when playing guitar at higher setting on lead channel I've tested a 460v value.

It seems to be a high value to be a mark III...is it maybe because blue stripes has one of the closest power amp to mark IIc+???

Reeko,

490V's is very high. All of my IIC+'s put exactly 483V out at idle and barely move under load. Now, a standard PT may have a variance of + or - 20V. An export PT should actually put out only about 460V. After the Black Dot's used the remaining 105 transformers, the III PT should only put out 460-465V. It's the same OT and PT used in the first 500 Dual Rectifiers which consistently read 440-460V. With that kind of plate voltage and Mesa's use of over filtering a power section, your MK III may be a fluke. A happy accident if you think about it with IIC+ modifications and headroom to spare it may be more like a IIC+ than some real ones. :D

Well....if it has to be considered an accident!!!!!
It is a real luck!!!
I couldn't believe at my eyes when i tested today....but tested several time...and I got always the same value...490v....
What a great luck!!

Boogiebabies said:
Reeko,

490V's is very high. All of my IIC+'s put exactly 483V out at idle and barely move under load. Now, a standard PT may have a variance of + or - 20V. An export PT should actually put out only about 460V. After the Black Dot's used the remaining 105 transformers, the III PT should only put out 460-465V. It's the same OT and PT used in the first 500 Dual Rectifiers which consistently read 440-460V. With that kind of plate voltage and Mesa's use of over filtering a power section, your MK III may be a fluke. A happy accident if you think about it with IIC+ modifications and headroom to spare it may be more like a IIC+ than some real ones. :D

it's been a while since i last talked about this stuff...wasn't the OT on the Mark3's identical to the those on the c+, except for the printed number? wouldn't this mean my dual recs have an OT identical to the one on my c+? this is what i've understood it as for a while now.

No, the MK III PT is not the same as the IIC+.
Only a few early black dots had the 105. The only other choices were the X101 and 60. The OT's were the same but with a different part number. The early III's had the SC-562019B and quickly went to the 562003 and finally with the Green Stripe the MK IV PT was used. The 562004A. I don't think they were making 60/100 Green Stripes when the DR came out. They were using whatever surplus 60/100 PT's and OT's on the DR. Mesa never wasted anything.

Boogiebabies said:
Only a few early black dots had the 105. The only other choices were the X101 and 60. The OT's were the same but with a different part number. The early III's had the SC-562019B and quickly went to the 562003 and finally with the Green Stripe the MK IV PT was used. The 562004A. I don't think they were making 60/100 Green Stripes when the DR came out. They were using whatever surplus 60/100 PT's and OT's on the DR. Mesa never wasted anything.

What about the Coloseum MKIII. I had one of these, wish I had never sold it. What was the difference in Trannies on these as opposed the the Reg MKIII and IIC+?

I can't still believe how luck i've been...
I'm still checking and testing again but voltage is still the same...490-495v....
or maybe is my multimeter....LOL!

Reeko81 said:
I can't still believe how luck i've been...
I'm still checking and testing again but voltage is still the same...490-495v....
or maybe is my multimeter....LOL!

When the batteries get low, meters will usually read higher voltages. Also, you should check voltages with all the knobs set to zero. Hope that helps...

Tested with fresh batteries...but....still the same...
490-500v...

Well i can say I got a mark IIIC+ with enough balls.....

same as mine... i am thinking about the c+ mod to my new blue stripe...it's a fully loaded one and sounds great...but it can get little high spike's in it like you said...

i would most likely get a tech to do it for me...i am right now learning how to build amp's but still not confindent enough to pull my mk iii apart...lol..

looking at the schmatic's i see there really isn't to much to change.. if i do get it check and modded i will get the plate current measured...

ursinus said:
Boogiebabies said:

What about the Coloseum MKIII. I had one of these, wish I had never sold it. What was the difference in Trannies on these as opposed the the Reg MKIII and IIC+?

The Coliseum had transfomers from their bass amp line... they are huge. I know.. I have one :)

And yes the Red stripe is the closest to the C+, per my conversation with Mesa when I dropped off my amp for a checkup.

The Red is really the closest practically speaking to a IIC+

As mentioned, the subtle wiring specifics of the Green make it "electronically" akin to the IIC+.

Having had them all, I would say the Red wins.

BWK

Latest posts

Back