Which Stompboxes Compliment the Mark IV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davec69

Reaction score
Since I picked up my new Mark IV, I've found the nearly all of the overdrive pedals on my pedalboard are now obsolete. I've found that I only need my compressor, Buddah Wah and homebuilt "Matchbox" on the front end, now.

Are there any pedals that bring out the best in the Mark IV?

I'm keeping my fx loop stuff, like delay, vibe, phaser, ect.

The only boost pedal I use is the Xotic BB Preamp. It adds to the boost capabilty of all MK series amps and Recto's. The only other effect I use is the TC Electronics Stereo Chorus Flange.
I never boost the lead channel on the MK IV. It's IMO over the top as is.

Hmmmm....you've given me an idea, with the boost pedal. I'd forgotten about an old Colorsound Power Boost (Big Orange Beast) that I've had in mothballs for a while. It's got some serious boost. It took up so much room on the pedalboard, that I had to pack it away, but now that I have my space back......hmmmm. Does anyone know if you can run an 18v pedal off a one spot or skb-45?

I dunno about the Mark IV (I'm hoping to get one soon), but my Mark III take a Digitech Bad Monkey really well. I've been using it recently on the lead channel when I want more crunch or to slightly fatten up solo tone (I've backed the lead gain on it down a lot as well to compensate for the pedal boost), and also for an EJ style lead sound by driving the clean channel.

It actually sounded reaaally good as a volume boost with the gain at 10 and volume at 10 on the lead channel. However, then I'd need another to use on the clean channel (which isn't a bad idea, since that pedal is so cheap).

That $40 pedal is on Gary Moore's rig. When a guy that owns a '59 Les Paul has a $40 pedal in his rig, you know somethings up! :twisted:

Ha, Gary Moore could make a Peavey Bandit sound good. FYI, he sold his 57',58 and Peter Green Les Paul to a broker here in Charlotte.

www.maverick-music.com

The main reason Boogie's take pedals so well is that the guitar signal goes straight to the grid. No resistors or capacitors in the signal path. In essence, your just boosting the V1A preamp tube directly. They are quite simply the most versatile and awesome amps on the planet. Full of tones, built like tanks and pedal freindly. I absolutely love the MK IIC+ and MK III ( Green Stripe), but the MK IV is like playing the most refined and dignified high gain amp in the world.

Boogiebabies said:
The main reason Boogie's take pedals so well is that the guitar signal goes straight to the grid. No resistors or capacitors in the signal path. In essence, your just boosting the V1A preamp tube directly. They are quite simply the most versatile and awesome amps on the planet. Full of tones, built like tanks and pedal freindly. I absolutely love the MK IIC+ and MK III ( Green Stripe), but the MK IV is like playing the most refined and dignified high gain amp in the world.

Here Here!!! Very well said Boogiebabies.

I've found that it takes pedals quite well, especially fuzzes if you're into that sort of thing. The Fulltone OCD sounds fantastic on R2 overdrive wise.

Hermida Zendrive into channel 2 (don't pull the mid boost) sounds better that with any other amp I've tried. I like it better for some things than channel 3.

JeffT said:
Hermida Zendrive into channel 2 (don't pull the mid boost) sounds better that with any other amp I've tried. I like it better for some things than channel 3.

Better get on the 5 year waiting list :lol:

Yea, I heard there was a wait now...not the case when I got mine awhile back. I'm not a pedal expert but I'll bet there are some similar pedals out there.

JeffT said:
Yea, I heard there was a wait now...not the case when I got mine awhile back. I'm not a pedal expert but I'll bet there are some similar pedals out there.

The Barber Burn Unit gets close.

It's funny. I've had both the HBE PowerScreamer, and the Digitech Bad Monkey, and i sold both of them before I got my Mark IV.

Currently, on my pedalboard, I have an OLC Matchbox, OLC, Umble, Chatmods Tube Slammer, and a MI Audio Blues Boy Pro, but I hardly use them since I got my Mark IV.

My favorite pedal right now, is my Flatline Compressor which I built from a layout found at www.diystompboxes.com. It's more of a boost pedal, than anything else, which makes me thing that some kind of boost might work better.

At this point, I'm thinking to dump the huge SKB PS-45 pedalboard, all together, and get a new Pedaltrain JR, and a Carl Martin Quattro. With this amp, it seems that less is more. I'm perfectly happy with the R2 and lead channels.

Back