Which preamp and power tubes does everyone like in Rectos?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LEVEL4

Reaction score
I just got a used Single-Recto Solo 50 head. I have TungSol preamp tubes and JJ power tubes in my DC-3, and it sounds fine. Seems that no one's particularly fond of the Mesa-branded tubes here.

Also, do Mesas require a specific bias, or can I just put in any brand of 6L6s? Aren't most 6L6s biased at about 20-30 milliamps out of the box? Since my DC-3 sounds pretty good with these, I was planning to get these as well from tubedepot for my Single-Recto:

• TungSol 12AX7s
• JJ 6L6s

Guitars:
• American Fender HM Strat w/DiMarzio Super Distortion humbucker.
• Epiphone LP Studio with stock humbuckers.

Genres:
• All types of high-gain metal sounds, from hair, to nu-metal.
• Have no need for cleans or "blues-ey crunch" whatsoever.

Personally, the only way I ever found a rectifier bearable was with EL-34s...I recommend them.

As for the preamp, I really don't see the bashing of the Mesa branded tubes...they work just fine for me.

ibanez4life SZ! said:
Personally, the only way I ever found a rectifier bearable was with EL-34s...I recommend them.

As for the preamp, I really don't see the bashing of the Mesa branded tubes...they work just fine for me.
Thanks for your comments. Care to characterize a bit what you didn't like about the 6L6s, and what you do like about the EL-34s?

M/B 12ax7 Russian 2's in the pre amp and M/B STR440 6L6's. If you can't get a great tone with them, change something else in your set up. :wink:

Groove Tube 6L6GEs for power tubes. They are Groove tubes copy of the General Electric 6L6 tubes used by Jimi Hendrix in his Fender Dual Showman amps at the hollywood bowl. They have a nice tight bottom end to them. Rectos tend to have a loose bottom end and this helps to get rid of that.

Bmarchant

LEVEL4 said:
ibanez4life SZ! said:

Thanks for your comments. Care to characterize a bit what you didn't like about the 6L6s, and what you do like about the EL-34s?

ibanez4life ...loves the mark IV tone. He was into rectos, moved over to mark IV. I dont know what is to like about the mark IV except the lead tone. And meaningless shredding is completely lame.

vertigo_ said:
LEVEL4 said:
ibanez4life SZ! said:

ibanez4life ...loves the mark IV tone. He was into rectos, moved over to mark IV. I dont know what is to like about the mark IV except the lead tone. And meaningless shredding is completely lame.

I have both !! I like both !! The MKIV is better for leads, yeah, but chugging tight riffs too, and what's shredding got to do with anything ??

Mesa Russian's in V-1 and V-4 and V-5 and tung sols in V-2 & V-3 in the preamp

ONLY stock Mesa 6L6GC's in the power amp.

Cuts like a knife fight while a tank is running you over!

There is no problem whatsoever to shred like satan on crack with the recto.

I love the mark IV but I would not trade my recto for it.

I'm using stock mb tubes but thinking about changing the 6l6's for kt 77´s.

The type doesn't matter if it's mesa it's GOOOOOOOOD. :p

Thanks for all your comments, guys! Good to hear! I don't know why I had the impression that no one here liked the stock Mesa-branded tubes. Never really heard good things about the re-branded Chinese-made, Groove Tubes, but your report about the Groove Tube 6L6GEs sounds interesting and may be worth a try.

Still gotta think about which preamp tubes I want to get. The TungSols in my DC-3 sound nice, if not great, but it's hard to tell when you have nothing else to compare them with. The Recto I just got is a used amp, and all of its tubes are several years old. The amp still sounds fine (if not great), and the previous owner had filled it full of Rubys. But, I thought I should maybe replace them anyway since the power tubes are more than three or four years old? Or, if they still sound fine, should I just leave them in until they go?

FWIW, I really love that "Recto" sound, and plan on getting a Mark IV someday as well, so I don't need to "cover all my bases" with this Recto. I just want the Recto to do what a Recto does best. Also, could anyone comment more descriptively on the tonal differences of having EL-34s vs. 6L6s in your Rectos? Looking for that scooped "metallic" metal sound (which I'm getting just fine with the Ruby 6L6s), with the crushing lows and highs. Which ones are more mid-range-ey? Which ones are best-suited for nu-metal, in your opinions? And, again, I don't care about cleans whatsoever. Thanks for any comments!

Personally, if you think it sounds good...why fix what isn't broken? If my tubes sound good for the next 20 years, then it's gonna be 20 years before I change them.

Silverwulf said:
Personally, if you think it sounds good...why fix what isn't broken? If my tubes sound good for the next 20 years, then it's gonna be 20 years before I change them.

I used to think the same way, but its definitely not the way to think about it. Tubes do change the way the amp sounds and feels noticeably. You may be content with the sound you have, but with the new tubes it COULD be better and you could be even more thrilled. I've seen people about to sell their amp then change the tubes and end up keeping it. But sound is very subjective and its possible to get a sound you don't like as much as you got now.

Also power tubes tend to sound very different over a long period of playing time, and as its gradually its not very noticeable till you change them out for new ones.

About Mesa tubes, I personally think their great. The quality is excellent, and they seem to last forever lol.

Esromeron said:
I used to think the same way, but its definitely not the way to think about it. Tubes do change the way the amp sounds and feels noticeably. You may be content with the sound you have, but with the new tubes it COULD be better and you could be even more thrilled. I've seen people about to sell their amp then change the tubes and end up keeping it. But sound is very subjective and its possible to get a sound you don't like as much as you got now.

Also power tubes tend to sound very different over a long period of playing time, and as its gradually its not very noticeable till you change them out for new ones.

Yeah, that's my point...if you're happy with the sound of your tubes, why bother changing them just because they're "old?" A lot of the magic of these vintage amps people use in the studio probably comes form the well used tubes that give the amps a different vibe. I'm not saying never change your tubes. I'm just saying if you're happy with the sound you're getting, why mess with it? :)

Silverwulf said:
Yeah, for "bedroom" amps, I wouldn't be concerned at all. But I think this was played a LOT. It was owned by a gigging musician, but I think it was a practice amp, since he also owns a Dual- and Triple-Recto. But I do like the way the existing tubes sound in it. Just been wondering about that whole EL-43 vs. 6L6 deal. There's Ruby 6L6s in there now, and I've never heard anyone say anything good about Rubys.

Esromeron said:
Yup. That was my concern. Not sure what to listen for in "tired" power tubes, though.

shredd6 said:
One thing I can tell you though, is that G.E. tubes are really good sounding affordable NOS tubes. You can get them on ebay all day long for $10-$20 . . . Anyway, I hope this helps.
WOW! GREAT POST!!! Thank you! Really appreciate the time and attention to detail you took in writing your recommendations. And, thanks, for even including a photo! Will study and review your post as I continue to consider all those options!

I think I'll try out the GEs someday. I'm not too worried about replacing the 12AX7s for the moment, but I bet the power tubes are on their last legs. I bought this amp from a gigging musician, so I'm sure they have a LOT of hours on them. But, I think the amp sounds the same as the brand new Recto I tried in the Mesa store. Not being able to A/B them, I'm not quite sure though, so I thought it'd at least be worthwhile to throw a new set of power tubes in there. Again, thanks for the hugely informative post!

shredd6 said:
As far as the preamp goes, you'll never see a modern Tung Sol anywhere near my preamp. I don't even want it in the same room.
Almost forgot. What's wrong with the TungSols? I've only heard good things about them?

I like the KT77's in my RoV combo. They really remind me of a meaner EL84. Think of an EL-84 with more bottom end and you've got the KT77 (basically). I tried the JJ preamp tubes but they created a terrible harshness in the form of noise/static around notes. The stock tubes do not have that annoyance. I'm going to order a set of tubes from Doug's tubes as soon as I can free up some cash. Everytime I sell something I end up getting hit with another bill. :roll:

I thought the tung-sol reissues were decent tubes when I tried them along with some SED =C= in my Roadster... wouldn't mind to try out the SED's in my RoV too...

Yeah, count me in the "I don't like Tung Sol" crowd, at least not the reissues they sell now. It's way too gritty and grainy in thw V1 slor in a Recto for me. But again, tone is completely subjective. The sound I hate may be the sound the next guy loves.

^Agreed right there...there is some sort of an artificial artifact in the high end with the Tung Sols...can't exactly explain it, but my ears hate it! :lol: That's enough for me to stay away from them.

As for the poweramp, as recommended earlier, I say EL-34s....the recto is overly bass heavy, and very scooped in the mids, so the a mid heavy tube is its perfect match IMO to balance it out.

Here is a pretty good representation....a little more articulate of a recto than usual:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EbIqevsROZI

Amp is a bit fizzy, as any recto played at low volumes, but it's still a good representation.

And to the comment bashing me moving from the recto to the Mark IV...I guarentee you I've gotten MUCH better tone with the Mark IV since day one than I ever had with the recto.

You hit the nail on the head...that's exactly my problem with the Tung Sol. It has this gritty, grainy, almost artificial sound to it. It just doesn't sound natural to me and it does something weird to the upper mids/high end in the amp. We tried it in the Recto and didn't like it, so we decided to try one in the Mark III. We had it in there for about 10 seconds before we (bandmate and I) looked at each other with that "this sounds like garbage" look on our faces... :lol: There's just something unnatural and "POD-ish" to the character of it. Not that it makes your amp sound like a POD, but it just has that sterile type of character to it's sound. Again, all just my opinion...YMMV.

Of course, I use a pretty odd mix of tubes in the Recto that everyone around here seems to hate, so go figure?

I'm another fan of EL34's in a Recto, but I like the KT-77's even better.
I have a mix of tung sols and JJ's in my preamp and it sounds fine to me.
I fun a Tung Sol reissue in the V-1 position of both my Rectoverb and my JSX.
No harsh tone problemos at all. :D

Latest posts

Back