Strange new sound from my 5:25 with 10"

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nubbs

Reaction score
I have had my amp for about two years this month. I bought it used and it was one year old at the time I purchased it. I did transfer the warranty and made sure is was covered by Mesa and the amp has been an excellent choice for my blues and Christian music. I use a Carvin DC-200 that has an active system, Taylor Classic Solid body with the mini humbuckers and a Taylor T-5.

Now the problem: I have been hearing a ringing that sounds like something is loose after both single note runs and chords. This was evident on both channels, but certainly more on the channel 2. Also, locally to me is an authorized repair facility, Hendrix Sound, in Kissimmee, Florida. So I call Brian Hendrix and we talk about what may be going on and we both agree it sounds like a microphonic tube. Keep in mind I changed one of the pre amp tubes about 5 months ago do to static coming from the amp. I changed the preamp tube right next to the input jack and the change did the trick.

Now after talking with Brian at Hendrix Sound I decided on changing all the tubes using the Mesa brand. These are the standard tubes and from what Brian Hendrix says they are JJ tubes. After the change and turning on the amp, I let heat up for 15 minutes before plugging in my Taylor Classic. The cool part was the sound because it was sweet and very pure. I did not realize that after almost 3 years the balance of the original tubes had deteriorated so much.

The only thing that is still a problem is the something is loose sound that happens as you are notes or chords. Again the 2nd channel is more pronounced, but I can hear it on both. This is not a loud sound by any stretch, it is just there.Have any of you experienced this issue?

This will be interesting because Hendrix Sound is "swamped" and no telling how long this will take. and from my experience with tube amps, previously, I believe this is a internal issue that will take an experienced tech to diagnose and repair. Brian Hendrix at Hendrix Sound is that and I hope he can pinpoint what is the problem quick. Maybe if it is too big of problem it would be easier to swap out the internals for one from Mesa.

What do you guys think?

Regards,

Nubbs

Nubbs said:
Now the problem: I have been hearing a ringing that sounds like something is loose after both single note runs and chords

Well since that I have a similar problem when my 5:25 brand new; remove both power tube holders.
If it is the problem, nice, and in such case you can try to change a bit their shape to avoid the ringing, or to find another kind like I did from a local amp shop.

Another thing to try is to put a screwdriver into the slot of each of the speaker screws and put slight pressure on the screw while playing the note that excites the sound and see if that kills it. If so, gently tighten the screw. Also try the same with the back panel screws.

Bob

Update on strange sound....Took the amp to Hendrix Sound located in Kissimmee Florida after I had changed all the tubes in the amp to new Mesa tubes. These were purchased at Hendrix Sound after some conversation with Brian Hendrix. The reason I took it in to Hendrix was because on stage last Sunday I was, again, hearing a ringing sound on both channels. I checked my paperwork and with Brian we determined it was under the OEM warranty and would not be a cost.

Brian looked over the amp from top to bottom and said all components check out to factory specifications and one of the new EL84's was ringing. He changed it let the amp burn-in and today I went to pick it up. I did bring my guitar with me. We set it up and it sounded better than when I first got it.

One thing they showed me that I did not know about the amp. On channel one, in the clean mode, if you have the contour on it increases the "hiss" on that channel. I does not matter if it set at the lowest setting, just the fact that it is one increases it. Something to keep in mind.

I am very happy and I have learned a little about tubes and how they function, thank you Brian, and I know the Contour has an effect the hissing on channel one.

Nubbs

Latest posts

Back