Which other Boogie Mark sounds closest to the Mark 1?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TPM

Reaction score
I LOVE my Mark 1 reissue, but I'd like to get another Boogie amp that can channel switch (or get a cable for the Mark 1, addressed in earlier post). There's probably no exact answer, but in your opinion, which channel-switching Mark sounds closest to the Mark 1 (reissue or original...I haven't heard the original). Any thoughts appreciated, thanks.

Tom

Have you played with a Mark IV yet? Very versatile.....

I've never played a Mark I, but the Heartbreaker is supposed to be the tribute to the Mark I and it has two channels.

Thanks for the replies...I played a Mark IV at the Hollywood store, but wasn't really blown away...but heck, that thing had so many knobs on it, that I don't think I really took enough time to get a good sound out of it...I think that's why I went for the Mark I--as soon as I turned it on I liked what I heard. I'll see if I can try out the Heartbreaker....I was thinking maybe the IIA or IIB would be similar in sound, but who knows. Thanks again guys.

Its kinda hard to convince some Mark IV owners on this board that some of us like things "simplified", tone easy to obtained (Mark I, or II, Maverick, Blue Angel, even HeartBreaker).

AND WE DON'T NEED ALL THAT MASSIVE GAIN the Mark IV to offer. But I'm not sure if they're convince of it. They're not convince we need an amp for a particular application.

Just me ranting.

Its like you plan to buy a butcher knife or chef knife, (obvious I was once a food prep) or a specialize knife but someone insist you buying a Swiss Army Knife (Mark IV) because it could do "everything". Are you going to use all that functions of Swiss Army Knife?

RR-
If you put it that way I would make the analogy that it is more like wanting to buy just the Henkels 10" (Mark I) v. buying the whole set of Henkels with the block (Mark IV). Why not have the bread knife, boning knife, steak knives, etc. too? If you read the initial post he is looking for versatility through channel switching and loves his Mark I. He is looking for another Boogie. I was suggesting the Mark IV not only for its supremacy in the Mark Series for its cersatility and channel switching but also because it is more readily available as you can still buy it new if you want along with the used market.

Sure, the Mark IV takes a little time to figure out all the rest of the features and might take a little more time to dial in a bread and butter tone at first than just jumping into a simpler designed Mark I but the fact that it is all there with the versatility to not have to buy more amps to get more sound is a very nice feature. The added gain on tap along with channel switching, voicing and power options are enough to sell most people anyway. I am not saying it is always about versatility, I do own a couple one trick ponies myself (JMP mkII Master and JCM800) but in the case of the Mark series amps I find there no reason to look at the Mark I because there is a Mark IV. This is not to say that I would not look at a Mark IIC+ if I was so inclined but at the moment I do not feel a need to nor do I have the means even if I found one without first selling off something else I own.

I agree the Mark IV can be intimidating because of the abundance of knobs and features but if you take the time to learn the amp then you really appreciate it more if you don't already love it before you learn everything about it. The amp just has so much going on inside and has so many tones in there that it is hard not to love it unless you are into the looseness of a Recto.

Back