Which One Would You Get First?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjrake

Reaction score
since i'm on a strict allowance (my wife and i are buying a home), i have enough money to upgrade my pedalboard, but of the following, which one would you upgrade first to improve overall tone:

a) upgrade BOSS TU-2 tuner to a Peterson Strobo tuner cause it'll give me true-bypass

b) upgrade Maxon C101 compressor to keeley compressor (my comp is on all the time)

c) purchase analogman chorus pedal (don't have any chorus at the moment and would like to add one for my stock clean sound)

it might sound funny but i'm seriously considering buying the tuner first, not for it's ability to tune but to give me true bypass. i feel that my tuner sucks tone. i was thinking of getting a pedalboard junction cause it makes my tuner true-bypass and it's cheaper but that's another pedal on my already tight board and more cables.

please help!!!

Or . . . get an active a/b/y pedal (Voodoo amp switches etc.), put the tuner at one of the outputs, lets say "b." This will remove the effect of the tuner on tone, and remove some tone suck by minimizing cable loading from the pedalboard to the amp.

Keep the Boss tuner, even though it has input and output buffers, it is a much more durable tuner when compared to the Peterson. Your Boss tuner will outlast the Peterson....spend you money elsewhere.

Also, if you have more than just "a couple" of pedals...or long cable runs, the buffers on the Boss will compensate for the sound degradation.

I would upgrade the compressor and keep the tuner out of the chain and just plug in when needed, but that's me and I almost never have to tune my guitars, once the strings are stretched and as long as everything is maintained properly (intonation, cleaning, frets, etc) I stay in tune through an entire set (or 2 weeks of constant playing).

HipKitty said:
Keep the Boss tuner, even though it has input and output buffers, it is a much more durable tuner when compared to the Peterson. Your Boss tuner will outlast the Peterson....

Are you sure about this?

so far i'm leaning towards the keeley compressor as the main upgrade to overall tone, but keep 'em coming. so far all the advice has been great; i really like the one about keeping the tuner out of the chain completely. i would be a little scared onstage if i have to tune between songs, but looking back at all my shows in the past few years i would say maybe 15% of the time i tuned in between shows.

thanks all!

Not everyone likes rack mount stuff. It sounds like he likes pedals, so having a rackmount tuner would be silly.

EDIT: I prefer pedals... Always have.

i tried the rack thing once and it just wasn't for me, sorry :(

Racks quickly become filled, then heavy, then you need more racks for the other things you want, then you have to have everything linked to a controller (nice midi cables aren't cheap), then you have to have a switcher on top of that if you want to put an amp into the control loop as well.... I'd rather just bring my guitar and plug right in than drag more gear around.

This actually happened to me, but I'm OCD with my gear and tones and needed things to compensate for shortcomings of everything else in my racks.

why would you want a tuner in a rack system?? i can see the point for delays, reverb etc etc but for tuning you want it at your feet so you can easily access it during/between playing as well as being able to mute ur whole system with one stomp.

Out of interest i cant understand why you would want to upgrade from the TU-2 its fab, if you hook it up to a vol pedal on the insert the amount of tone degregation is going to be so minimal it wouldnt make eric johnson complain.

I think to improve your tone the keeley is the one to go for but if you current compressor is good why not get the chorus and give yourself a whole new palette of sounds???

ToneAddictJon said:
Racks quickly become filled, then heavy, then you need more racks for the other things you want, then you have to have everything linked to a controller (nice midi cables aren't cheap), then you have to have a switcher on top of that if you want to put an amp into the control loop as well.... I'd rather just bring my guitar and plug right in than drag more gear around.

This actually happened to me, but I'm OCD with my gear and tones and needed things to compensate for shortcomings of everything else in my racks.

Only if you have GAS.
I have 3 things tuner+TA+gmajor+2.90.Paradise. :D

18&Life said:

ummm :?:

(1) tuner
(2) TA
(3) gmajor
(4) 2.90

i swear i counted that a couple times and keep coming up with 4 things... :lol:

for me, i love doing crazy stuff with my delay pedal (adjusting the delay time in realtime) and it's gotta be right in front of me.. i also use a wah.. hard to manage those things with a rack and still keep a reasonable budget

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I like doing that too.
I do it in real time with a midi controller.But when I stop,delay time still stays in tempo with the song I am playing.
One click I change all parameters I want .
What is better than it,foot tap dancing on the stage ?
Each music turning pedals buttons to match songs beats.
Modulation efx such as chorus,flanger etc need to stay in time to.
One click and I can change anything !!! :D

Ten pedals at my feet nevermore.
We are in 2007.
I am playing since 1984.
Pedals nevermore.
Of course that is my taste. :wink:

18&Life said:
Only if you have GAS.

When I start upgrading gear, it's hard to stop me :twisted: :twisted:
I just got sick of programming everything, but with midi it's very easy to integrate new things as soon as everything is setup (which is where my problem started), hey look a brand new toy, I just have to get a few settings on it and throw it in and hook it up, but it started happening every few days....

18&Life said:
What is better than it,foot tap dancing on the stage ?
so what, you work the midi controller with your tongue? if you're changing effects, whats the difference between foot tap dancing on a pedalboard vs a midi controller?

Peterson Strobostomp : this tuner is very sensitive and will pick up floor vibrations which makes using it very difficult. I play in a cover band and I have retired my Boss because the True Bypass issue. I still have to fight the Peterson but I have not junked it yet.

Analogman makes nice,compact a/b boxes so you can keep your tuner out of your chain.

Last, the Analogman Chorus. An absolute beautifil sounding pedal that does not work with my DR at all ! I have not parted with my Analogman Mini chorus yet but I never use it because it sounds rather unpleasant to my ear with distortion on. I actually use a Boss chorus pedal. The boss pedal is not as pronounced so I get more use out of it. Tough to recommend Boss over Analogman though.

It just depends on your style and what you need.

Sorry for the ranting.

Back